• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Was deprived of my right to carry outside of the Nelson County courthouse today.

Unfettered Might

imported post

gutshot wrote:
I completely agree gutshot, didn't mean for it to sound rushed.

The court clerks are in there if they count. But I wasn't even in the building when this happened, I was standing outside.

I understand that you were outside. I'd just like to have a complete understanding of the situation. The Circuit Clerks office is part of the court system and guns can legally be excluded. What about Sheriff, County Attorney, County Clerk, PVA, any other county agencies, do any of them have offices in the courthouse. If the the Court of Justice takes up the entire courthouse they can prohibit guns in all of it, maybe even the steps and porches.
Ok. I have read that before about the circuit clerk. I'm not sure about any other offices, but i will call the circuit clerk there tomorrow and ask what others are there. I'll get back to you.

Unfettered Might

imported post

BB62 wrote:
Why don't you guys see if you can get Old dog in the fight and/or KC3 (KY Coalition to Carry Concealed) involved in the matter?

Yes, that would be the member who, in response to questions aboutsignage at the Greater Cincinnati/Northern KY airport, strongly defended KC3's stance on all matters related to gun rights in KY, then neither he nor KC3 acted.

Maybe someone else can get them to actually match their words to actions.
Think I'd better get a couple things checked out a little more first, but it's a good idea.

Unfettered Might

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Unfettered Might wrote:
one pulled his handcuffs out and threatened to arrest me if I didn't comply.
Personally, I would have held out my two hands and said, go ahead. I have been threatened with a B.S. citation before and when I said go ahead and write it, that's when the cop told me I could go on my way. I would be on the courthouse steps with you, but KY is quite a bit of a trip for me :?
Not when your two daughters, ages 2 and 4 are waiting in the car with your 75 year old grandmother and their mother isn't able to take them. We were going out to lunch after I paid my fine.

Unfettered Might

imported post

gutshot wrote:
After several hours of internet searches I have become convinced that what Unfettered Might has called the Nelson County Courthouse is actually the Nelson County Justice Center. You can find it at

http://courts.ky.gov/counties/nelson/

This building is owned by and occupied
solely by the Ky Court of Justice. No county offices are located in this building. The Co. Sheriff's office is nearby. County offices are primarily located at One Court Square with some at other locations around the county.
All volunteers can stand down. The carrying of a firearm is legally prohibited on any and all parts of this property, including the "porch". Nobody was deprived of their rights. Unfettered is lucky he didn't go to jail. Those LEO's did him a big favor. As far as who didn't know the law in this situation I'll let you decide. Well, at least this brought to light the problems in Bardstown. I hope you can catch the mailman with that letter to the AG, Unfettered.
Yes, that is the place. It's where I went to court for my traffic ticket so that's why I called it the courthouse.

So the parking lot was ok, but once I stepped onto the grounds of the courthouse I couldn't have my firearm? Do I have that correct? Or is it the entire property including the parking lot?

It's a lesson learned, the next time I'll research the location before I go. I slipped on realizing the property I was on, it won't happen again.

Thanks for your help anyway guys, I screwed up this one.

Thanks especially to you gutshot.

boomer92266

imported post

monroe county court house has a sign up banning guns inside the court house. its signed by the circuit judge. the police here won't allow a person carrying to come thru the court house doors. the ones i spoke with lately have even told me i couldn't carry at the city park, they even posted signs there too. and said they would arrest anyone breaking that law.

aadvark

imported post

Open Carry of a Firearm at Courthouses in Kentucky is Legal.

Concealed Carry of a Firearm in said place may be regulated under KRS 237.115(2).

Actual Courtrooms, however, are still off-limits for Firearms in Kentucky.

Due to State-wide Firearms Premption of Firearm-related matters in Kentucky, per KRS 65.870.

boomer92266

imported post

i'll try to get pics next time i'm up there, its a city park. tompkinsville city park and recreation area, it just says on the sign along with the other park rules about no parking on grass ect. at the bottom it says no firearms allowed there is no krs #'s or anything else. the court house has a paper with the judge signature, it says no weapons allowed inside court house. when i got home i called the sherrif office, i was told the city council passed the park law. but the no weapons law for the court house was state law. a good friend of mine won the primary this year, if elected in the fall mabe some things will change.

boomer92266

imported post

i've not been up there in a few days and can't remember how the paper is worded but do remember the judges name. his name is Eddie C. Lovelace, so from what i've read i can open carry at the park right?

Thos.Jefferson

imported post

Don't you just love these petty tyrants. It just kills my soul that all over this once great nation the so called "elected officials" have lost complete sight of the ideals of the Founders "That to secure these rights,Governments areinstitutedamong Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed". Does it get any clearer than that?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thos.Jefferson wrote:
Don't you just love these petty tyrants. It just kills my soul that all over this once great nation the so called "elected officials" have lost complete sight of the ideals of the Founders "That to secure these rights,Governments areinstitutedamong Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed". Does it get any clearer than that?
Don't you mean, "Could I have been any clearer than that? :)

Thos.Jefferson

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Thos.Jefferson wrote:
Don't you mean, "Could I have been any clearer than that? :)
That's hilarious , I didn't even think of that when I posted this :lol::lol::lol:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

gutshot wrote:
Unfettered Might wrote:
BB62 wrote:
Why don't you guys see if you can get Old dog in the fight and/or KC3 (KY Coalition to Carry Concealed) involved in the matter?

Yes, that would be the member who, in response to questions aboutsignage at the Greater Cincinnati/Northern KY airport, strongly defended KC3's stance on all matters related to gun rights in KY, then neither he nor KC3 acted.

Maybe someone else can get them to actually match their words to actions.
Think I'd better get a couple things checked out a little more first, but it's a good idea.
I prefer to try doing things for myself before I run off crying for help. KC3 is a private organization and funded by their members. How they spend their time and resources is their business. They are under no obligation to do anything for anyone; just as no one on this forum is obligated to do anything. I assume those that volunteered here did so because they believed it was the right thing. I don't believe KC3 has a "hot line" with a phone bank staffed with people to rush out to help gun owners in distress...

That's odd. I don't recall suggesting that KC3 had no choice as to how they allocated their resources, that they had any responsibility to you or anyone else, or that they had a "hotline" to call.

Nice job beating that STRAW MAN, gutshot!!

Of course, I do recall representations made by their representative here, and by their president in e-mails to me regarding the Northern KY/Greater Cincinnati Airport matter that turned out to be nothing but talk. Maybe you should re-review that thread before beating any more straw men?

boomer92266

imported post

yep i got them, i hope to get up there tomorrow so to get this straightened out. mabe they took the firearms sign down, if they did they painted over it as it was on a big wooden sign with all the other rules.i'll know tomorrow or friday for sure. thanks.

boomer92266

imported post

i just found out, i'm going today. i'll have a picture to post this afternoon, i should be back by 6-7pm central time if not before, my dr's appointment is at 3 so if i don't need tests i'll be home sooner. also i have never posted pics., how do i do it? and gutshot the lake is very big for the size town cause its where the county gets their water, its only about 3 miles from town. it looks further on the map but its not far from town at all. and it is a city park not a state park.thanks.

boomer92266

imported post

just got back from tompkinsville, and the city park. there are new signs up but not one says anything about firearms, just stating to keep park clean and to stay off grass. there was a park worker checking the trash cans and i ask him about the signs. he said they were removed for the newer signs, he said the no firearms law was passed several years ago by the council at that time. they took the old signs down in may this year and repaced them. he said i would have to ask city hall about firearms as they make the rules for the park, but he said there was no signs anywhere now that banned firearms. i sure feel better, i know when i was there last in early may the sign was there after you enter the park but now its gone. so with no posting would it be ok to open carry or should i call city hall like the worker said? thanks

boomer92266

imported post

it has been removed as well, there is only a sign about smoking in the court house now on the doors. most all the city offices are in the court house (county clerk, circuit clerk, sherrif, judge exc.) for now. they are building a new justice center to be opened later in the year or early next.

Unfettered Might

imported post

gutshot wrote:
boomer92266 wrote:
it has been removed as well, there is only a sign about smoking in the court house now on the doors. most all the city offices are in the court house (county clerk, circuit clerk, sherrif, judge exc.) for now. they are building a new justice center to be opened later in the year or early next.

Those are actually county offices, boomer. The courthouse is a county building. They're building those "Justice Centers" all over the state. They are state buildings and will house only court of justice offices and courts. These buildings will be "no guns allowed". They may even have metal detectors at the doors.
Apparently by "building" they mean curbside and not the exterior wall, lol.

langzaiguy

KRS 522.020 makes it a criminal offense to knowingly deprive a citizen of a right or privilege. It could be argued that this statute would apply because Green knows the ordinance to be illegal/unfounded but yet willingly keeps it on the books. Perhaps if he knew this it might encourage him to do the right thing.