• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GFSZ

eddiealex

imported post

:banghead:This is in regards to GFSZ. Can the underlined part be contrued as meaning the right to OC without a permit as this is authorized by law?

76-10-505.5. Possession of a dangerous weapon, firearm, or sawed-off shotgun on or about school premises -- Penalties.
(1) A person may not possess any dangerous weapon, firearm, or sawed-off shotgun, as those terms are defined in Section 76-10-501, at a place that the person knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is on or about school premises as defined in Subsection 76-3-203.2(1).
(2) (a) Possession of a dangerous weapon on or about school premises is a class B misdemeanor.
(b) Possession of a firearm or sawed-off shotgun on or about school premises is a class A misdemeanor.
(3) This section does not apply if:
(a) the person is authorized to possess a firearm as provided under Section 53-5-704, 53-5-705, 76-10-511, or 76-10-523, or as otherwise authorized by law;

scorpioajr

imported post

The 1000 ft rule with regards to school zones is crap. Almost every OCer is aware of this bogus law/rule. The only way it is going to be changed is if someone challenges it, and wins.

I did MY BEST the first year of OCing without a permit to find routes that did not involve me going through/being within 1000 ft of a school: it wasn't easy and pretty dang next to impossible.

I am sure MANY carriers have told you this, but: Get you permit.

Should we be able to permitless OC within a school zone? Yes. Is that the way it is? No. Should it be, yes...is it, no..should it be yes...bla blah blah...

So there are three AWESOME (sarcasm) choices:

A) Join the rest of us sheep who got the permits. yes, I HATE that i HAD to get a permit in order to OC everywhere (other than restricted areas)

B) Oc without a permit, and you see how hard THAT is..

C) Don't carry <------Not a Good Option.

If you do not qualify for a Utah permit due to age, get your Maine permit. if you don't qualify for Utah permit due to crappy violation standards and are 21+, get your Florida.

If you DO NOT EVER want to get a CCW/CFP: move to Vermont. CC is legal to all residents of a certain age and are not felons.

OR! move to Alaska or Arizona for loose goose carry laws. EVEN THEN I don't know what the stance is on school zones. get the/a permit...

Good luck bro.
edit: Spelling

YoZUpZ

imported post

eddiealex wrote:
:banghead:This is in regards to GFSZ. Can the underlined part be contrued as meaning the right to OC without a permit as this is authorized by law?

76-10-505.5. Possession of a dangerous weapon, firearm, or sawed-off shotgun on or about school premises -- Penalties.
(1) A person may not possess any dangerous weapon, firearm, or sawed-off shotgun, as those terms are defined in Section 76-10-501, at a place that the person knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is on or about school premises as defined in Subsection 76-3-203.2(1).
(2) (a) Possession of a dangerous weapon on or about school premises is a class B misdemeanor.
(b) Possession of a firearm or sawed-off shotgun on or about school premises is a class A misdemeanor.
(3) This section does not apply if:
(a) the person is authorized to possess a firearm as provided under Section 53-5-704, 53-5-705, 76-10-511, or 76-10-523, or as otherwise authorized by law;
Good question... Even better, look at the actual laws regarding carrying into Federal facilities such as post offices... Everyone says that it is illegal, but according to how the law is written, it very much looks like it is legal.

SecondAmendmentStudents

imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
The only way it is going to be changed is if someone challenges it, and wins.
I don't think that's true. We have a very pro-gun Legislature at the moment, and stand a good chance of them being even more pro-gun after the election in November. Talk with your legislators. Explain to them how horrific our GFSZ laws are. I'm confident that if enough of us get involved, we can convince them to "fix" this law (the state one, not federal).

mrjam2jab

imported post

PA's law is written almost exactly the same way...but nobody really knows if a license to carry is "other lawful purpose"...

18 Pa.C.S. § 912: Possession of weapon on school property (a) Definition.--Notwithstanding the definition of "weapon" in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), "weapon" for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nunchuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury. (b) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school. (c) Defense.--It shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose.