• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

can you get in trouble

SCJeffro

imported post

I am going to hope to God this was not a real question...

There have been a few times I have been asked if I was a cop when open carrying and each time I have said "No. Why do you need one, I have a cell phone..." it works pretty well because they usually look at me all confused :) It also opens a door for conversation and I often get questions after like "Well why do you have a gun" or "is it legal to carry a gun like that?" which gives me a chance to educate another one of the fine "sheeple" of the world...
:celebrate

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
imported post

SCJeffro wrote:
I am going to hope to God this was not a real question...

There have been a few times I have been asked if I was a cop when open carrying and each time I have said "No. Why do you need one, I have a cell phone..." it works pretty well because they usually look at me all confused :) It also opens a door for conversation and I often get questions after like "Well why do you have a gun" or "is it legal to carry a gun like that?" which gives me a chance to educate another one of the fine "sheeple" of the world...
:celebrate

Q = "If you're not a cop, why are you carrying a gun?"

A = "Ïf you're not an operator, why are you carrying a telephone?"

Nevada carrier

imported post

I was at my local pub the other day and was being served by a bartender I had not yet met and didn't know me as a regular. She asked, What do you do for a living that you need to carry a fire arm? My reply was I carry one because I'm a Citizen of the United States. She said, "Oh, I guess that's fair enough." Nothing more was said.

Just a brief aside, I personally choose not to drink when carrying in public because it removes any question of intoxication. I know I am permitted to have a BAC of .10, but I hate the implied consent law and don't want to be on the receiving end of "reasonable force as required to obtain a blood specimen." Implied consent gives a LEO a license to violate my Fifth Amendment rights.

SCJeffro

imported post

VegasGlocKid wrote:
i just do what others on here have recommended..."i cant answer that right now"
This can easily be taken as attempting to imply something...
I personally don't think that is a very good idea?! :uhoh:

Are you a cop?
NO I am not. (clearly states you are NOT a cop)

Are you a cop?
I can't answer that right now. (implies that you might be a cop but can't answer...)

Why try to pretend your something your not or give someone any reason to believe you are?

I mean imagine if something bad happened and you had to use your gun and the cops are questioning the "sheeple" who are standing around after words... One of them says "well I asked that guy with the gun if he was a cop and he didn't say NO, he told me he couldn't answer..." I don't know... Just doesn't sound too good to me.

40xdotra

imported post

I see the original poster has not replied. It is my opinion a person defiantly needs to say no to the question, are you a cop unless they are in fact a cop. There are many good pointers posted here by senor open carry persons. Following those pointers will go a long way to ease public concerns when they spot an open carry gun. The open carry movement nor the person answering needs the negative attention that might develop from an unintentional are you a cop answer blowing up into a publicize impersonating a cop arrest.