• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oldest Medal of Honor Recipient dies...

Dreamer

imported post

It is because of men like Lt. John William Finn that Monday is a holiday. We should all take a moment on Monday to remember the brave deeds and dedicated service of all those who serve in our Armed Forces.

John William Finn, who was the oldest recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor, died at age 100 on the morning of May 27, 2010, at the Chula Vista Veterans Home. He was the last surviving MoH recipient from the attack on Pearl Harbor, and the first serviceman to receive that honor from that attack.

His particular act of heroism is extraordinary, even among MoH recipients. He was hit 21 times with bullets and schrapnel while manning a 50cal gun that he had removed from an aircraft and mounted on a training stand to fire on the attacking Japanese planes. Here is his MoH citation:

For extraordinary heroism, distinguished service, and devotion above and beyond the call of duty. During the first attack by Japanese airplanes on the Naval Air Station, Kanoehe Bay, on 7 December 1941, Lieutenant Finn promptly secured and manned a 50-caliber machine gun mounted on an instruction stand in a completely exposed section of the parking ramp, which was under heavy enemy machine-gun strafing fire. Although painfully wounded many times, he continued to man this gun and to return the enemy's fire vigorously and with telling effect throughout the enemy strafing and bombing attacks and with complete disregard for his own personal safety. It was only by specific orders that he was persuaded to leave his post to seek medical attention. Following first-aid treatment, although obviously suffering much pain and moving with great difficulty, he returned to the squadron area and actively supervised the rearming of returning planes. His extraordinary heroism and conduct in this action were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.[8][/sup]
[/sup]

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

american%20flag%20picture.jpg

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I am familiar with Finn's act of heroism on that day having seen interviews with him over the years. His actions on that day have been depicted in several movies as well. A crusty old guy, he never lost sight of the fact that he was there to do a job. It is men like this who make other, lesser men appear as mere shadows in history.

God bless him and may he find eternal peace and honor in the afterlife.

DEFENSOR

imported post

The Wolfhound wrote:
I raise the inadequatehand of grateful civilian. SALUTE!
No Sir, Your salute is more than adequate.

During this memorialholiday please remember thathe along with all service memberspast present and future must consider it an honor to serve. If in the course of their service they lay down their life they must be comensuratelyhonored by a grateful nation. You sir have honored this mans service and sacrifice in a more than adequate manner. I thank you and Mr. Finn thanks you. May God bless this selfless man and continue to bless and strengthen our country.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

All I can say is wow.

Going to see the Pearl Harbor monument moved me in ways I still can't put to words... It is sad to see that there are so few WWII veterans left. Our country won't be the same without them.

KansasMustang

imported post

Awesome, is all I can say. This man, and my Father, and Grandfather were the "Greatest Generation" We owe them so much. I have seen much of the same characteristics in many of the young men and women who serve now, not all, but most.
True heroes never think of themselves as such and I've had the honor to speak to one MoH winner. His words to me were "I was scared sh#tless the entire time." The heroism doesn't come from the actions of the individuals, but more from their overcoming of the fear.
May God welcome him into his arms and bless him for the honor he gave to his fellow man.

Mr.FiredUp

imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
Awesome, is all I can say. This man, and my Father, and Grandfather were the "Greatest Generation" We owe them so much. I have seen much of the same characteristics in many of the young men and women who serve now, not all, but most.
True heroes never think of themselves as such and I've had the honor to speak to one MoH winner. His words to me were "I was scared sh#tless the entire time." The heroism doesn't come from the actions of the individuals, but more from their overcoming of the fear.
May God welcome him into his arms and bless him for the honor he gave to his fellow man.
And they never will. God bless this man and all the others that "just did their job". They are the reason we have the freedom to carry firearms, the freedom to speak our minds, the freedom to thank them on this forum. We have our freedoms because people like this man chose to fight for them. They knew it was the right thing to do. It wasn't to get honor, it wasn't for fame, it was for me and you. We should keep this in mind every time we close our eyes at night in the comfort of our peaceful beds. Without people like this, our beds might not be so peaceful.