• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

May Sales Tax Holiday: Hurricane and Emergency Preparedness Equipment

TFred

imported post

It's time for the annual Hurricane Tax Holiday. Sadly, neither firearms, nor ammunition are on the list of tax exempt items. Maybe we should push for this in the next legislative session.

http://www.tax.virginia.gov/site.cfm?alias=HurricanePreparednessEquipmentHoliday

May Sales Tax Holiday: Hurricane and Emergency Preparedness Equipment

When: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 through Monday, May 31, 2010

What's Exempt: During this seven-day period, purchases of certain supplies and equipment needed for hurricane preparedness will be exempt from sales tax. Retailers may also choose to absorb the tax on other items during the holiday period, but they are responsible for paying the tax on those items to the Department of Taxation.

List of items (pdf)

TFred

wylde007

imported post

Yes, it is easy for me to say this having not been there...

But I'd like to think I would have stood up for and defended my rights rather than allow them to be infringed the magnitude they were in New Orleans.

TFred

imported post

wylde007 wrote:

But I'd like to think I would have stood up for and defended my rights rather than allow them to be infringed the magnitude they were in New Orleans.
For good or for bad, we do still live in a society where the LEOs are in authority over us, even when they are wrong. Resisting them will just get you in more trouble, and in the cases of a disaster, perhaps even injured or killed.

Remember, the standard advice tossed around here when a LEO is in the wrong concerning a carry incident is to collect evidence, and fix it / punish it later. I'm not sure that this advice would be any different in the face of a large scale incident. The lawsuit at the end may be a lot bigger though.

TFred

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

TFred wrote:
wylde007 wrote:

For good or for bad, we do still live in a society where the LEOs are in authority over us, even when they are wrong. Resisting them will just get you in more trouble, and in the cases of a disaster, perhaps even injured or killed.

Remember, the standard advice tossed around here when a LEO is in the wrong concerning a carry incident is to collect evidence, and fix it / punish it later. I'm not sure that this advice would be any different in the face of a large scale incident. The lawsuit at the end may be a lot bigger though.

TFred
...and for those simple murdered? Did the court system bring them back?

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2010/04/judge_sickened_by_raw_brutalit.html

Wile I agree with what your saying as a rule of thumb under normal conditions, if in the event of a Katrina or worse event....one must keep in mind that the equation may be different. If someone seeks to take my life or those of a loved one....I really dont care who it is.

What would you do if you came under fire, simply because some cop felt like getting his jollies at your expense during a disaster?

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2010/04/judge_sickened_by_raw_brutalit.html

wylde007

imported post

TFred wrote:
For good or for bad, we do still live in a society where the LEOs are in authority over us, even when they are wrong.
This statement right here is why they get away with what they do.

They are no more in authority over us as I am over you. They have been bred as a "protected" class but they are OUR SERVANTS. We are the masters and until they are made full aware of that by the citizenry - their employers - they will continue to exercise undue "authority" over us.

I watched an episode of Cops last night where two undercover officers observed what they concluded was a drug exchange. They accosted one of the suspects and identified themselves as police, though they showed no badges (they were plainclothes, remember). They said "Hold on, we want to talk to you" and the suspect said "Yeah, so what of it?" and kept walking. Next thing you know the cops are manhandling this guy, throwing him to the ground and digging through his pockets.

No "You're being detained". No "You're under arrest". No "Do you consent to a search". Nothing. They just bullywhacked this guy for suspicion of drugs.

While they were "searching" him they found what they decided was a crack pipe and told him he was under arrest for drug paraphernalia. Then they searched him some more.

While it is likely the man had been involved in some kind of drug exchange, the manner in which these officers abused their authority to physically coerce this person into submission is disgusting.

Seeing this kind of thing makes me have very unpleasant wishes for law enforcement.

2a4all

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
TFred wrote:
For good or for bad, we do still live in a society where the LEOs are in authority over us, even when they are wrong.
This statement right here is why they get away with what they do.

They are no more in authority over us as I am over you. They have been bred as a "protected" class but they are OUR SERVANTS. We are the masters and until they are made full aware of that by the citizenry - their employers - they will continue to exercise undue "authority" over us.

I watched an episode of Cops last night where two undercover officers observed what they concluded was a drug exchange. They accosted one of the suspects and identified themselves as police, though they showed no badges (they were plainclothes, remember). They said "Hold on, we want to talk to you" and the suspect said "Yeah, so what of it?" and kept walking. Next thing you know the cops are manhandling this guy, throwing him to the ground and digging through his pockets.

No "You're being detained". No "You're under arrest". No "Do you consent to a search". Nothing. They just bullywhacked this guy for suspicion of drugs.

While they were "searching" him they found what they decided was a crack pipe and told him he was under arrest for drug paraphernalia. Then they searched him some more.

While it is likely the man had been involved in some kind of drug exchange, the manner in which these officers abused their authority to physically coerce this person into submission is disgusting.

Seeing this kind of thing makes me have very unpleasant wishes for law enforcement.
This episode of "Cops" illustrates howthe present state/local governmentspractice their tyranny, which our Constitution is supposed to prevent. The Constitution is circumvented because there is no "national tryant", but rather we are ruled (intimidated?) by theses petty tyrants whom we elect to state and local office. Our only recourse is to challenge each of these transgressions in court, and then attempt toalter policy at the ballot box.

wylde007

imported post

2a4all wrote:
Our only recourse is to challenge each of these transgressions in court, and then attempt toalter policy at the ballot box.
It was not meant to be this way. The 2nd was supposed to ensure that we did not have to resort to the ballot box to institute change.

The 2nd was supposed to strike fear into the hearts of our employees and demand their respect.

Now our rights are neutered and instead of the enforcers and political elites being afraid of us and afraid that a misstep on their part could not only cost them their lives - but LAWFULLY SO - they act with impunity and acrimony for those of us still clinging to the hope that our rights actually MEAN SOMETHING.