Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5in bull barrel

2 50.00%
  • 7in non bull barrel

2 50.00%

Thread: which markIII should i choose

Post imported post

i have 2 different ruger markIII 22 cal pistols i deciding on. they are the same gun except one has a 5in bull barrel and the other has a 6.88in non bull barrel. any suggestions on which one you would choose. i not that worried about the finish so not going to add that so ppl dont base it on the finish. i just curious if anyone thinks that the bull barrel or the longer barrel will make a difference or if it will be about the same on either when it comes to accuracy/ reliability/longevity.

Post imported post

If it's going to be carried in a holster then the shorter one is better.
    I have a 1976 Ruger RST6 (6 inch tapered barrel) with a holster and that, to me, is about as long a barrel as I am comfortable with for a holster gun. It is also quite accurate to 25 yds for a non target gun.

Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Post imported post

I've got a MKII 22/45 with a bull barrel and it's a little easier to stay on target. I think the extra weight helps.

It's not an apples to apples comparison, but my friend's P22 it takes more effort to reacquire your target. Don't get me wrong, it's a .22 so recoil isn't moving your barrel a whole lot but still I find the 22/45 easier to handle.

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

The bull barrel is used for recoil control. The extra weight means less felt recoil and faster recovery time. SO, unless you're speed shooting it really doesn't make a difference which one you choose.

Personally, I'd probably go for the 5" barrel just because I prefer a barrel between 4 and 6 inches long. It makes the pistol look more balanced.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Post imported post

What are you doing with the gun? The goal of the gun will dictate the barrel length, sights and other attributes.

I train with my 22/45. It has a 4" bull barrel and "combat" sights. This is a good setup for a trainer.

However, if you need a more target oriented gun, then the longer barrels may be more appropriate.
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

Post imported post

Isn't it 6 7/8th's barrel.

Post imported post

I have a 5 in bull barrel and love it. But, I forgot one thing when I got it... in Wisconsin, to hunt with a pistol, the barrel must be 6in long. I got a great price on it, so that kinda clouded my thinking at the time. I would like to hunt squirrels and rabbits with a 22 pistol for the challenge. I will probably end up buying a Tactical Solutions barrel for it now. Good luck.

Carry ON!!

Wisconsin Carry Inc - Founders Club Member
    NRA - Life Member
    3rd generation US Air Force Veteran

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

You should get an AWC Ampibian or Badlander. My boss has an Ampib and it is a joy to shoot!
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002