• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

which markIII should i choose

which gun

• 5in bull barrel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7in non bull barrel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

goalseter88

imported post

i have 2 different ruger markIII 22 cal pistols i deciding on. they are the same gun except one has a 5in bull barrel and the other has a 6.88in non bull barrel. any suggestions on which one you would choose. i not that worried about the finish so not going to add that so ppl dont base it on the finish. i just curious if anyone thinks that the bull barrel or the longer barrel will make a difference or if it will be about the same on either when it comes to accuracy/ reliability/longevity.

jeeper1

imported post

If it's going to be carried in a holster then the shorter one is better.
I have a 1976 Ruger RST6 (6 inch tapered barrel) with a holster and that, to me, is about as long a barrel as I am comfortable with for a holster gun. It is also quite accurate to 25 yds for a non target gun.

eyesopened

imported post

I've got a MKII 22/45 with a bull barrel and it's a little easier to stay on target. I think the extra weight helps.

It's not an apples to apples comparison, but my friend's P22 it takes more effort to reacquire your target. Don't get me wrong, it's a .22 so recoil isn't moving your barrel a whole lot but still I find the 22/45 easier to handle.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

The bull barrel is used for recoil control. The extra weight means less felt recoil and faster recovery time. SO, unless you're speed shooting it really doesn't make a difference which one you choose.

Personally, I'd probably go for the 5" barrel just because I prefer a barrel between 4 and 6 inches long. It makes the pistol look more balanced.

230therapy

imported post

What are you doing with the gun? The goal of the gun will dictate the barrel length, sights and other attributes.

I train with my 22/45. It has a 4" bull barrel and "combat" sights. This is a good setup for a trainer.

However, if you need a more target oriented gun, then the longer barrels may be more appropriate.

goforlow

imported post

I have a 5 in bull barrel and love it. But, I forgot one thing when I got it... in Wisconsin, to hunt with a pistol, the barrel must be 6in long. I got a great price on it, so that kinda clouded my thinking at the time. I would like to hunt squirrels and rabbits with a 22 pistol for the challenge. I will probably end up buying a Tactical Solutions barrel for it now. Good luck.

Carry ON!!