• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sent an Email to Dan Maes and Scott McInnis about Constitutional Carry and Open Carrying

Who will you vote for to govern Colorado?

• Total voters

ooghost1oo

The Dan Maes, Scott McInnis, and now TOM TANCREDO post! (Constitutional Carry and OC)

Dan Maes responded first:

"If you are elected, would you be willing to sign a "Constitutional Carry" bill for Colorado (like Arizona and Vermont), doing away with the need for a permit and registration to carry concealed?"

Yes.

"What about doing away with the extra, unnecessary firearm restrictions affecting only the city of Denver and Denver county? (i.e. - no Open Carry)."

Open carry should be legal anywhere.

Dan Maes
The Peoples Candidate
Re-energizing Colorado's Economy

303-670-2010
dan@danmaes.com
http://www.danmaes.com

Last edited:

ooghost1oo

imported post

They haven't voted yet. Vote in your primaries to make sure Dan Maes gets the Republican nomination.

By the way, also sent a copy of the same email to John Hickenlooper, just to be fair. Doubt I'll hear back from him at all.

(Hickenlooper (evil, bad, bad) and McInnis are both career politicians. Maes is a normal guy trying to make a difference.)

entartet17

imported post

I was just reading Dan Maes' answers to the RMGO candidate survey and some of his responses were a little troubling. His answers on the survey regarding constitutional carry differed from what his office told ghost.

The link is: http://www.rmgo.org/alerts/2010-DanMaes.shtml

I dont know how McInnis responded so I cant say either candidate is better or worse on gun issues

What do you all think?

cscitney87

imported post

You're very right. Back tracking on the legislative aspect of the issue. I would love to see background checks done away with for current CHP holders. As for any initiative- who's willing to campaign for concealed carry like NORML did for pot? I'm not sure we'll have the pull, statewide, to reign in a voter initiative on unlicensed concealed carry.

I never thought I would see pot put to the ballot by popular vote.. so I could be very wrong about any concealed carry bill.

aadvark

imported post

I know there was a Major Case..., but, whatever happened to Colorado State-wide Preemption of Firearm-related matters in Denver County and Denver City?

Does the Premption not apply in those two areas?

ooghost1oo

imported post

My response to Dan:

Thanks for the response, Mr. Maes.

Would you please clarify why you said you'd support Constitutional Carry in Colorado in your response to my email, but answered differently in the 'gun control' survey sent to you from the Rocky Mountain Gun Owners' Association? I can see that the survey was a little overly-dramatic. Were you just giving them a hard time because of their word-play?

http://www.rmgo.org/images/Dan Maes Survey.pdf

Also, a question about helping you get votes:

This race will be very important to me--the difference between moving Colorado to become a sort of 'free state' or to continue with its liberal corruption. I'd like to do some volunteer work for you in the primaries and main race (brochures, etc.), but I'm wondering: how are the votes counted and victory determined? Is it by total votes, or by total counties/districts won with 'point' values (like the Presidential race)?

If victory is determined by total votes, I could stay in Colorado Springs to volunteer. If, however, victory is determined by 'counties won' or something similar, I'd be wasting my time in Colorado Springs (which is mostly conservative), and would be better off traveling to a 'swing' area to make a difference.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eddie Patin
Colorado Springs

cscitney87

imported post

Colorado Constitutional Carry is Open Carry only. Concealed carry is specifically Not protected under our State Constitution. United States of America Constitutional Carry is something else.

I believe a "Constitutional" carry is already in place- outside of Denver County/City. Think about it.. The USA 2A says your right to Keep and Bear Arms shall not be infringed.. Colorado Constitution says your right to open carry shall not be infringed.

I'm not sure here.. but Constitutional Carry just isn't quite the term we're looking for. Alaska carry or <insert state name> carry is more appropriate. "Arizona Carry" hehehe :lol:

ooghost1oo

imported post

Response from Dan Maes (very quick):

You are very perceptive regarding the word games used in the survey. I will not be bullied into making a decision. After hearing out several citizens who have taken the time to educate me rather than judge me I am in support of a conceal carry law similar to Vermont’s. My only concern is training. I would not want my 23 years old daughter buying a gun with absolutely no training how to handle it.

I can be gun owners’ friend but I do not play well when I am given ultimatums to do it “our way” or get bashed. I appreciate your approach.

Dan Maes
The Peoples Candidate
Re-energizing Colorado's Economy
303-670-2010
dan@danmaes.com
www.danmaes.com

ooghost1oo

imported post

My response:

Thanks for the quick response, Mr. Maes.

I hope that, in support of Constitutional Carry, you trust Colorado Citizens to take the responsibility of training upon themselves. It is our right and freedom after all, and isn't something that should be regulated.

Did you have an answer for me regarding voting and victory to better help me campaign for you later this year? Since you wrote a fresh email without my original enclosed, below is my original question:

"This race will be very important to me--the difference between moving Colorado to become a sort of 'free state' or to continue with its liberal corruption. I'd like to do some volunteer work for you in the primaries and main race (brochures, etc.), but I'm wondering: how are the votes counted and victory determined? Is it by total votes, or by total counties/districts won with 'point' values (like the Presidential race)?

If victory is determined by total votes, I could stay in Colorado Springs to volunteer. If, however, victory is determined by 'counties won' or something similar, I'd be wasting my time in Colorado Springs (which is mostly conservative), and would be better off traveling to a 'swing' area to make a difference. "

Thanks,
Eddie Patin
Colorado Springs

cscitney87

imported post

Again Constitutional Carry is the wrong term here. Regarding concealed carry- yes- our Constitution does not protect concealed carry- only Open Carry. The USA Cons. 2A protects only your ability to bear arms- not touching on the subject of carrying method. While our State Constitution further restricts this USA 2A right down to only Open Carrying. Whether or not the Supreme Court will incorporate the USA 2A into all states is undecided.

For now- we have what we have- simply a Colorado Constitutional right to Open Carry only.

ooghost1oo

imported post

Arguing semantics? Sheesh.

Referring to "Constitutional Carry" as the Arizona "Constitutional Carry" that was recently passed. I.e. concealed carry without a permit.

Besides. I consider that the Constitution gives us the right to bear arms open OR concealed. It's our right and doesn't need to be specified. To restrict concealed carry is just as unconstitutional as restricting full-auto weapons. Which is also against the 2nd Amendment, but is 'the law'.

But, point is, in the context of my email, and Dan's responses, we are discussing CONCEALED CARRY WITHOUT PERMIT. I.e. Constitutional Carry. As it was called in Arizona. Clear?

cscitney87

imported post

Clear. I'm just saying.. Our State Constitution legally completely morally lawfully only protects the Open Carry of firearms. Under our system of government, in the USA, States and Federal Government share responsibility in government. The USA has it's Constitution which binds the States to an agreement (Federalism). The States have their Constitutions which governs their respective citizens. The USA Constitutional Second Amendment has not been lawfully applied to all the states- as other amendments have been. This means your respective State Constitution is your governing authority on the carry of firearms.

This means "Constitutional Carry" for Coloradans does not protect Concealed Carry in any fashion.

Let us focus on revoking Denver's Open Carry ban.

Call it Arizona Carry or whatever you need to do- but always be accurate in your writing and assertions.

ooghost1oo

imported post

Pace, I've been in an interesting back and forth with Dudley:

Me:
Emailed Maes, McInnis, and Hickenlooper (to be fair) about Constitutional Carry and Open Carry.

Read about it here:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum13/44999.html

Eddie

Dudley:
Since this directly contradicts what he told us in writing, I wouldn’t trust him.
Ask him why he changed his mind.
Then, ask him if he’s still opposed to a repeal of the Brady law.

Me:
Looks like he was giving you a hard time because of your dramatic 'editorialization'. Your questions were not always totally clear. I sent him a response to clarify--I'll let you know if he responds.

I saw him speak at a Tea Party rally and I've got a good feeling about him. Surely he'll be better than McInnis, who's playing a pretty typical career politician to me. If Maes wins the primary, I hope you'll still vote for him, if only to defeat Hickenlooper.

Dudley:
I don’t think I know you, so I can’t speak to your political acumen. But this isn’t my first dance – this is my 17[sup]th[/sup] year as a gun lobbyist. I know how politicians weasel around saying tough things or answering tough questions.
Editorialization? Hell yes. I’m an advocate, not some pointy headed intellectual. Dan read our editorialization, and certainly should be able to tell where we stood on an issue.
What is unclear on our survey? Please, tell me. RMGO has literally had hundreds of candidates for office answer our survey, many of them 100% pro-gun. Many of those are in office (Sens. Brophy, Harvey, Kopp, Schultheis, Renfroe, etc).
RMGO leads on the gun issue in this state, not politicians.
He might be better than McInnis (though, by their surveys, he’s worse). My “vote” is one. But we have thousands of members, most of whom look at RMGO for guidance on candidates and the gun issue. So, my job is to light up politicians who think they can get away with weak and broad generalities about how they are “in support of the Second Amendment.” That’s why we ask specific questions.
Me:
But why load up your questions with fluff and drama if you're trying to get an honest answer? Seems that it would just make it harder for politicians to take you seriously. You don't need to let them know where you stand. It's coming from the RMGO. It's pretty obvious. The 'editorialization' just serves to distract from being direct.

Did you even get an answer from the other candidates?
Dudley:
We always put a bit of background in the question. If we don’t (and even when we do), you’d be surprised how few candidates for office know anything about gun issues.
And then we get candidates saying “I need more information before I can answer this.” Maes responded that way to a Tea Party activist (and RMGO member) who asked him why he was opposed to repealing Brady.
Here is McInnis’ survey. As you can see, at least he didn’t get snide with his comments, and answered the “Vermont” question correctly.
Every election cycle, at least a dozen politicians whine about our survey being unfair, or that we’re too tough, or that they can’t answer the question (about repealing a gun control law) until they “see the actual legislation.” When we get that type of answer, we know what kind of person we’re dealing with.
Me:
Good point. Interesting both of them still support background checks. Not as full-on 2nd Amendment as gun nuts like us. ;)

Dan is still talking to me. You can follow on the forum:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=44999&forum_id=13&jump_to=781715

Pace

imported post

I agree 100% with Dudley of the RMGO yet...

... I don't agree with the opinion that everyone who doesnt' agree with you 100% is your enemy. For example, getting politicians to agree with RKBA 80% is pretty damn good and show support for them when they do the right thing...

Independent thinking isn't a bad thing. If you asked me the same question Maes was answered (and I'm not a republican) I would wonder also some of them, and I know this issue pretty damn well.

For example, if you asked me personally if there should be a federal law that allows all people to carry a concealed pistol, I wouldn't know how to reply because:
- I believe in State Rights.
- I believe this is built into the Constitution.

Maes returned my call, I need to call him back monday.

Dudley is a smart guy when it comes to guns. I'd follow his instinct