• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

8GB pen cam/recorder (today 5/28 only)

BobR

imported post

Today only at one of the daily sale sites.

Features Include:

• Pin hole camera with microphone (audio capture) hidden inside
  • High Definition Camera (640x480 pixels)
  • High sensitivity microphone can record clear audio within a 10 foot range!
  • One Button Recording
  • Smooth writing
  • Rubber Finger Grip
  • Universal Replaceable Ink Cartridge
  • USB2.0 interface
  • Charge with the included power supply or via USB - High reading & writing speed: 900 K/700K bytes/sec
  • Supports WINDOWS 98/98SE/ME/2000/XP, Mac OS and LINUX operating systems -
  • Built-in high-capacity lithium battery last for up to 2 hours
  • 352 x288 CIF file in MP4/AVI format

http://www.1saleaday.com/

It is only 19.99 with about a 6 dollar shipping charge.

I figure this may be just a little better than my digital voice recorder, or I may just carry both and start the cam when needed.

bob

Aryk45XD

imported post

The camera is pretty good quality, but everything else isn't so great. Still good for the price and mine comes in handy for several occations.

ETA: keep your voice recorder handy.

tony d tiger

imported post

Wasn't sure where else to post this question...

So, I'm reading elsewhere, and it says"
Washington's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. Washington makes it a crime to intercept or record a private telephone call, in-person conversation, or electronic communication unless all parties to the communication consent. See Wash. Rev. Code § 9.73.030(1). Whether a conversation or other communications is "private" depends on a number of case-specific factors, such as the subjective intention of the parties, the reasonableness of their expectation that the conversation would be private, the location of the conversation, and whether third parties were present. State v. Townsend, 57 P.3d 255, 259 (Wash. 2002). You should always get the consent of all parties before recording any conversation that common sense tells you is private.
http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/washington/washington-recording-law

Do you run a recorder only when dealing with a public official in his/her official capacity, or do you also record individual contacts - say, you're going into a store and turn it on before encountering others? Follow-on question: Do you inform others they are being recorded?:question:

midiwall

imported post

tony d tiger wrote:
Wasn't sure where else to post this question...

So, I'm reading elsewhere, and it says"
Washington's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. Washington makes it a crime to intercept or record a private telephone call, in-person conversation, or electronic communication unless all parties to the communication consent. See Wash. Rev. Code § 9.73.030(1). Whether a conversation or other communications is "private" depends on a number of case-specific factors, such as the subjective intention of the parties, the reasonableness of their expectation that the conversation would be private, the location of the conversation, and whether third parties were present. State v. Townsend, 57 P.3d 255, 259 (Wash. 2002). You should always get the consent of all parties before recording any conversation that common sense tells you is private.
http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/washington/washington-recording-law
The RCW section you quoted from is from a chapter written to cover wire-tapping, as in, YOU are not one of the participants in the conversation.

It is _LEGAL_ in WA state to record a conversation that YOU are involved in without notifying the other participant(s).

amzbrady

imported post

GreatWhiteLlama wrote:
Did you get the MP9 http://bensoutlet.com/products/8gb-penIf so, have you figured out the notepad text file for the date? I also wonder about what ink refill to use. I like the way it writes. Kinda got a goofy set of instructions, though. I also bought the Glasses http://bensoutlet.com/products/video-sunglassessame no name brand, same photo copied cut up instructions. Not to bad video for 1.3 MP they shoot high and hardly have any installed memory, but it has a Micro SD slot and I put a 4 gigger in. If I ever figure out the whole youtube thing I'll upload a video. I

amzbrady

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Looks like pretty good quality video, kinda shaky though. I imagine thats what a belly button cam would be like on me, all wiggly. Heres from this afternoon, I just havnt figured out the date thing yet. Still trying to figure out the buttons too. It aims high of where you are actually looking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hze02UR4A-k

1245A Defender

imported post

i think i like the glasses best,, as the camera sees where you look
these tests lack the conversation for audio quality assesment.
i would like to tease you for your whistling ability, and your singing....
your little girl sounds much sweeter than you.
im thinking of adapting my pencam to fit in a hat! that would work good for me, i think!

amzbrady

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
i think i like the glasses best,, as the camera sees where you look
these tests lack the conversation for audio quality assesment.
i would like to tease you for your whistling ability, and your singing....
your little girl sounds much sweeter than you.
im thinking of adapting my pencam to fit in a hat! that would work good for me, i think!

Yeah, probably wasnt the best one to post. Singing to my little girls cd's. I hate the way I sound recorded. My wife assures me I dont sound like that in person and that the camera makes me look fat. She is sweet, bless her heart for lying to me to make me feel better about it. Only things I dont like about it, is the smaller lenses, and the cam needs to be focused down a bit more, it shoots high.

edited: I forgot to also mention, for the lack of sunshine in this state, they ride on top the head looking up or in the shirt pocket more.

tony d tiger

imported post

midiwall wrote:
Before someone calls me on it, I found the cite. It's a case who's judgment became an additional exception (as in RCW 9.73.030):

Flora VS State.pdf

http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;id=27

Hi!

Thanks for the reference, but it clearly states
Description: This case found that it is not unlawful to make an audio recording of a police officer without his knowledge or consent provided he is acting in official capacity.
Think I covered that...

So, is there something I'm missing? Why/How is it legal to record two private parties involved in a conversation w/o notice?

TechnoWeenie

imported post

tony d tiger wrote:
midiwall wrote:
Before someone calls me on it, I found the cite. It's a  case who's judgment became an additional exception (as in RCW 9.73.030):

Flora VS State.pdf

Hi!

Description: This case found that it is not unlawful to make an audio recording of a police officer without his knowledge or consent provided he is acting in official capacity.
Think I covered that...

So, is there something I'm missing?  Why/How is it legal to record two private parties involved in a conversation w/o notice?

Not this @#$% again.

The DESCRIPTION is NOT ACCURATE...

The court merely found that there was NO EXPECTATION OF PRIVACY, as the arrest was made IN PUBLIC and the recording was made IN PUBLIC, and the officers even said their actions were IN PUBLIC and NOT PRIVATE...

Has NOTHING to do with 'acting in an official capacity'... Has everything to do with there being no expectation of privacy in public.

The law requires an expectation of privacy. There is none in public.

Go ahead and record a conversation in a closed office of a sheriff and see how that 'but he was on the clock!' defense works out for ya...

tony d tiger

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
tony d tiger wrote:
midiwall wrote:
Before someone calls me on it, I found the cite. It's a case who's judgment became an additional exception (as in RCW 9.73.030):

Flora VS State.pdf

Hi!

Think I covered that...

So, is there something I'm missing? Why/How is it legal to record two private parties involved in a conversation w/o notice?

Not this @#$% again.

The DESCRIPTION is NOT ACCURATE...

The court merely found that there was NO EXPECTATION OF PRIVACY, as the arrest was made IN PUBLIC and the recording was made IN PUBLIC, and the officers even said their actions were IN PUBLIC and NOT PRIVATE...

Has NOTHING to do with 'acting in an official capacity'... Has everything to do with their being no expectation of privacy in public.

The law requires an expectation of privacy. There is none in public.

Go ahead and record a conversation in a closed office of a sheriff and see how that 'but he was on the clock!' defense works out for ya...

whatever d00d.