• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"You don't have a gun on you, do you?"

open4years

imported post

How many of you have ever been asked that question? I was!

I had one errand to run that day, which was to go to the drug store to pick up a prescription. I planned to use the drive-thru therefore I wouldn't need to carry as I had a .45 in my vehicle.

As I reached for my keys, I saw my NAA .22 magnum revolver and I thought why not? When I got there the drive-thru was closed. At least I have the .22 in my jeans pocket, I thought.

I reached the door and it was dark inside, so I thought it was closed, but an employee opened the door for me and said: "Our power is out; You don't have a gun on you, do you?"

She said in a light way and she didn't act concerned. I said: "As of a
matter of fact, I do, but I have a permit to carry it.". She smiled and let me in, not acting concerned at all.

Why was she concerned about guns because the power was out? I realized that with the power out, the theft sensors were down so that is
why she let people in and out. But, how did guns become a concern?

For the record, I was dressed in jeans with a tucked in shirt. The .22 was in a pocket holster in my right, front pocket. It does not print so it didn't seem to be about my appearance.

What are your thoughts? Any idea why guns were an issue to her because the power was out? What would you have said? I think I handled it okay.

M

McX

imported post

i get the feeling she was glad you and your gun was there.

cscitney87

imported post

The average Joe Six Pack with a pistol permit is Ground Zero Hero #1 when power is out in your everyday friendly town.

You'd be surprised just how quickly opinions change when the "Antis" have literally no phone line.. no power.. no television.. no radio communication.. and no Burglar Alarm!

ADT works.. but can't fire bullets.

open4years

imported post

canadian wrote:
McX wrote:
i get the feeling she was glad you and your gun was there.
That was my impression as well.

Hmmmm, I can see it that way now. Her saying: You DON'T have a gun......threw me off track.

I would have asked: Do you have a gun on you? But, I forgot this is the deep south! She did smile when I said yes.

Thanks guys! I just can't think well since my concussion. I do not
recommend them!

open4years

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
i think, what she was really asking, in a stupid way was...
are you here to rob me?   with a gun?
your frank answer, and the follow up about a license, fixed all that!

That was exactly what I took from her comments. But, the other folks here made me realize that it could have meant just the opposite. The more I think about it, I believe that she was hoping someone had a gun, maybe because she was scared. If she was afraid I might be carrying a gun, why did she
smile when I told her that I did.

The whole conversation, on her major part, was said with a cheerful voice and a smile. I wish I had been OCing as I think I would have
gotten my answer right away! And no; I don't think she was hitting on me, even though I like to think I have that effect on women. I did get that reaction for many years but I was always too shy to do anything! Life is cruel sometimes!

I

1245A Defender

imported post

yes it could be either way
hoping you have a gun to help protect her and the store, or
glad that since you do have a gun, youre not there to rob them
i think your right its the protect part!

i very well understand the part about the shyness,, oh well........

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

"You don't have a gun on you, do you?"

I'm sorry, Ma'am, but I'm placing you under citizens' arrest for attempting an unlawful search and possible seizure in violation ofour 4th Amendment rights under the Constitution of the United States of America.

If she says, "Say what?" simply say, "no one here in the U.S. can question another about what we have concealed on our person, not even the police."

I heard about a case whereby LEOs asked a gent if he was carrying a firearm (he was, and illegally) and he simply and calmly responded, "I take the fifth amendment in deference to the fourth amendment."

He was arrested as it's atypical LEO ploy to get someone to admit, somehow, they're carrying when they know they shouldn't be. The LEOs felt his response was clearly indicating he was indeed carrying. Even though they were right, the judge acquitted him, ruling that no exercise of our Constitutional rights should ever be misconstrued as to indicate confession, particularly when such exercise is a Constitutional protection against both self-incrimination as well as unreasonable search and seizure.

The ends do NOT justify the means. The reason this is so important in our society is that it goes a long, long way towards curbing all sorts of corner-cutting which would result in severe and gross violations of both individual, as well as human rights and the acceleration of a police state. While I know many LEOs might object this comment, I also know most LEOs have seen the results of these lack of constitutional protects in various countries around the world.

I have, folks, and it's pretty damned sick, including dismemberment, raping of female relatives, tortue and killing of the others, "But hey! We get our man!" And they often do, because in their society the ends justify the means. But the cost to their society is utterly horrific.

And it often begins with some busybody asking, "You don't have a gun on you, do you?"

One of my favorite responses is best delivered with a cavalier smile: "I wouldn't be very good at stopping violent criminals without it, now would I?"

On a recent hike in the backcountry, one of my hikers asked me, "why are you carrying a gun?" I simply said, "because mountain lions have been known to take down grizzly's, and the area we're hiking through is one of the most dense populations of mountain lions in North America."

It took me the first half of that hike to come up with that, and I was fortunate she didn't ask me until the second half! However, it's true: Beaver Creek State Wildlife Area here in Colorad is indeed host to countless wildlife. Enjoy it, but I wouldn't recommend hiking it alone, even armed, as lone hikers are killed in there every year.

As are lone, unarmed hikers/walkers throughout most of our nation's cities and suburbs!

Wildlife are naturally armed. Criminals are illegally armed. I'm lawfully armed.

Hey! That sounds pretty good! Hope to see it on a T-shirt some day...

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

open4years wrote:
As I reached for my keys, I saw my NAA .22 magnum revolver and I thought why not? When I got there the drive-thru was closed. At least I have the .22 in my jeans pocket, I thought.

I reached the door and it was dark inside, so I thought it was closed, but an employee opened the door for me and said: "Our power is out; You don't have a gun on you, do you?"

She said in a light way and she didn't act concerned. I said: "As of a
matter of fact, I do, but I have a permit to carry it.". She smiled and let me in, not acting concerned at all.

Why was she concerned about guns because the power was out?
She was a female - in general, they're more careful than we are. They have to be, as they aren't generally as capable of surviving a direct conflict. She might have seen the imprint through your jeans. If you'd said "no," she might have drawn on you. After all, you didn't know she was carrying too, did you? She very well could have been! Never assumer the other person isn't carrying, even one who is lawfully authorized to do so and seems oh so very nice and sweet.

Because you answered truthfully, she let you live.

Giving this some further thought, the very fact she asked you this indicated she was well aware of the issue. She sweetly, oh, so innocently, got you to admit you had a firearm, and in a way in which she knew exactly with whom and what she was dealing with.

Keep this in mind - all of us, male, female, human, animal, have evolved over billions of generations and as many years to survive. Fortunately for us humans, that involves a healthy amount of cooperation. Personally, I don't think gallantry and chivalry evolved alongside us merely due to reproduction. Ug thump Oog solves the reproduction/evolutionary issue, but only to a point. Oog could have said, "to heck with you" and kill her baby while courting Oo-og, a more gallant and chivalrous mate.

The result is a society where men are largely geared towards helping take care of women and their families, while women are largely geared towards helping take care of their families and their men.

In a perfect world.

In the meantime, we don't live in a perfect world, and there are all sorts of people out there who would love to use the various "hooks" used through both the mating and brotherhood dances to ensnare you, covet your votes, essentially have you throw your lot in with them no matter what they're doing. Why do you think gangs are so successful? They're an effective socioeconomic tool in that subculture to get what they need to survive.

We are ANIMALS, people. The only way society evolves is when we both remove the reasons why some would devolve into more base behavior while simultaneously introduce VALID (mock-ups do NOT work) incentives towards more societally acceptible behavior.

We are also the top of the food chain, but don't let that go to your head, as there are many animals in and around our homes, and even in your own bodies, that will kill us deader than a doornail given half a chance.

Ok! Hollywood doom and gloom aside, what can we do about it???

For the criters inside you (millions, if not billions) simply eat healthy, get plenty of exercise, and live a good life - your body's defenses will take care of most of them.

For the criters outside you, if they're clearly intent on depriving you of live, limb, or property, make your decision to be either deprived of life, limb or property, or to counter their demands with commensurate force.

Me? I'll attempt to arrest them for whatever crime they're attempting, and if they refuse, I'll use whatever tool I have in my box of tools to ensure they're going down.

Gee, I sound like a cop, don't I? I'm not, am I'm very much on the side of the OC/CC movements - whichever you prefer (but not to any exclusion of the other). It should always be, everywhere, our choice, and for whatever reasons we deem necessary, whethere to make it OC, CC, or NC (no carry). I do not carry into the shower! Imagine that... (keep your power dry, not to mention your steel...)