• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South haven court case

cabman1

imported post

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 8:36 AM,
Joel E. Fulton sent a message using the contact form at http://www.michiganopencarry.org/contact.

On September 13th, 2009 during an Open Carry Picnic at the beach in South Haven, Jonathan Sager experienced an unintentional discharge of his firearm while unloading it for proper transportation before leaving the picnic for the day. Someone called the police and they arrested Mr. Sager and subsequently charged him with wreckless discharge of a firearm. Mr. Sager hired Battle Creek Attorney Joe Eldred to defend him and refused to take any plea. Attorney Joe Eldred tapped Joel Fulton, co-owner of Southside Sportsman Club and Freedom Firearms, as an expert witness on firearms handling and gun safety. After a full day of testimony in this misdemeanor case, it took the jury just twenty minutes to select a jury foreman and come back with a unanimous verdict of not guilty.

On September 13th, 2009 during an Open Carry Picnic at the beach in South Haven, Jonathan Sager experienced an unintentional discharge of his firearm while unloading it for proper transportation before leaving the picnic for the day. Someone called the police and they arrested Mr. Sager and subsequently charged him with wreckless discharge of a firearm. Mr. Sager hired Battle Creek Attorney Joe Eldred to defend him and refused to take any plea. Attorney Joe Eldred tapped Joel Fulton, co-owner of Southside Sportsman Club and Freedom Firearms, as an expert witness on firearms handling and gun safety. After a full day of testimony in this misdemeanor case, it took the jury just twenty minutes to select a jury foreman and come back with a unanimous verdict of not guilty.

bigdaddyj

imported post

cabman1 wrote:
Joel E. Fulton sent a message using the contact form at http://www.michiganopencarry.org/contact.

Proof to all the haters and doubters that I'm not an idiot.

SlowDog

imported post

I for one am not a "HATER" but am curious about what caused the discharge. I am a consumate 1911 guy and know very little about "Poly Guns". Did you ever figure out what caused it. I am also glad your a safe handler of firearms and had it pointed in a safe direction......

manicdevery

imported post

i have to admit i have had an accidental discharge but i had it pointed in a safe direction. big difference between irresponsible and a conscious accident.

Devery

DanM

imported post

cabman1 wrote:
Attorney Joe Eldred tapped Joel Fulton, co-owner of Southside Sportsman Club and Freedom Firearms, as an expert witness on firearms handling and gun safety. After a full day of testimony in this misdemeanor case, it took the jury just twenty minutes to select a jury foreman and come back with a unanimous verdict of not guilty.
Can someone communicate to our "go-to" Michigan attorneys (Greenblatt andDulan . . . and anyone else?) to ensure their awarenessof Mr. Fulton, in case his expertise would be useful at trial? I don't have their email addresses.

Also, is Joe Eldred a good attorney to add to my phone list of firearms-related defense attorneys? If so, what's his number?

detroit_fan

imported post

bigdaddyj wrote:
cabman1 wrote:

I hope you don't think that everyone thinks your an idiot. I'm glad you were found not guilty and i'm glad your competent enough that even an AD caused no injury because you were handling it correctly.

bigdaddyj

imported post

DanM wrote:
cabman1 wrote:
Attorney Joe Eldred tapped Joel Fulton, co-owner of Southside Sportsman Club and Freedom Firearms, as an expert witness on firearms handling and gun safety. After a full day of testimony in this misdemeanor case, it took the jury just twenty minutes to select a jury foreman and come back with a unanimous verdict of not guilty.
Can someone communicate to our "go-to" Michigan attorneys (Greenblatt andDulan . . . and anyone else?) to ensure their awarenessof Mr. Fulton, in case his expertise would be useful at trial? I don't have their email addresses.

Also, is Joe Eldred a good attorney to add to my phone list of firearms-related defense attorneys? If so, what's his number?
Yes Dan, Joe Eldred is a good attorney. He helped me a great deal. He didnt pull any punches. As far as Joel Fulton goes, I had purchased both of my XD40's from him and even took my CPL class through him. Joe was actually refered to me by Joel the day I took the class.

bigdaddyj

imported post

detroit_fan wrote:
bigdaddyj wrote:
cabman1 wrote:

I hope you don't think that everyone thinks your an idiot. I'm glad you were found not guilty and i'm glad your competent enough that even an AD caused no injury because you were handling it correctly.
I don't think everyone thinks I'm an idiot. But there are a few people on here that like to talk shit and judge. If this would have happened to them they wouldn't talk so much shit. And for them to judge and talk shit about something that they didn't see orabout someone they don't knowis just ignorant. I wish that these ignorant people had the balls to say the shit to MY FACE, instead of being a coward and saying it with the protection of a computer.

bigdaddyj

imported post

detroit_fan wrote:
bigdaddyj wrote:
cabman1 wrote:

I don't think everyone thinks I'm an idiot. But there are a few people on here that like to talk @#$% and judge. If this would have happened to them they wouldn't talk so much @#$%. And for them to judge and talk @#$% about something that they didn't see orabout someone they don't knowis just ignorant. I wish that these ignorant people had the balls to say the @#$% to MY FACE, instead of being a coward and saying it with the protection of a computer.

sorry puter was screwing up. :banghead:

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bigdaddyj wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
If you had bought a Glock you would never have had a faulty safety...

food for thought.
the XD has an extra safety that the glock does not.

I'm saying if the safety was at fault... then there you go.

Glock = no safety, less parts to cause you to get harassed by cops.

malignity

imported post

bigdaddyj wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:

food for thought.
Well it didn't work, did it? :lol:

Accidents happen, and if it was the fault of the gun, that's definitely not cool. I was going to get an XD, but I'm steering clear now. That's the last thing I need. I'll stick with my Glocks I guess.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I carry an XD 40 24/7, the gun is not the problem. I dont think you are an idiot either.

The problem is in this idiotic law that does not recognise the RKBA, or your private property (vehicle), which causes people like you and I to handle our guns several times a day, in public, in order to transport our guns from here to there. this was bound to happen sooner or later.

Im glad you stood your ground, both here and in court.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

malignity wrote:
bigdaddyj wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:

food for thought.
Well it didn't work, did it? :lol:

Accidents happen, and if it was the fault of the gun, that's definitely not cool. I was going to get an XD, but I'm steering clear now. That's the last thing I need. I'll stick with my Glocks I guess.
Youre right
Glocks have never had an accidental discharge....
and you'll avoid a gun because of one case of an accidental discharge?
Ok so if thats how you base what youll buy...
no:
Glocks
Springfields
Tauruses
1911's or vairants
Sig Sauer
Sigarm
Smith and wessons
Rugers
Berettas
Para
AR15 or Variants
Ak47 or variants
any bolt action rifle
any lever action rifle
any semi automatic rifle
any single shot rifle
any pump action rifle
any pump action shotgun
any semi auto shotgun
any side by side shotgun
any over under shotgun
any pump action shotgun
any single shot shot gun
any lever action shotgun

I know i missed some guns but this is just a good list for you to avoid based on what makes you decide you wont buy a gun(1 accidental discharge) and is for your own safety.

Bronson

imported post

bigdaddyj wrote:
Yes Dan, Joe Eldred is a good attorney. He helped me a great deal. He didnt pull any punches.
Good to know. I've been wondering if there was a good attorney that was well versed in firearms law in Battle Creek. I'll have to add his number to my phone.

Glad everything worked out ok for you in the end. It's a shame anybody has to go through crap like this.

Did Sprinfield ever tell you what was wrong with the gun or did they just fix/replace it?

Bronson

bsf

imported post

bigdaddyj wrote:
Did you pull the trigger with a round in the chamber?

If not, please explain what happened. Thank you.