• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Cape Hatteras National Seashore

Dreamer

imported post

The only tricky part is avoiding the "State Gamelands" where you can't carry a pistol in the "off season". And there is a maddening patchwork of "state gamelands" throughout the entire OBX area...

NCBobD

imported post

I was in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park last week and notice there are still "no firearms" signs at pretty much every trailhead, picnic area and campground. I was under the impression that all that had changed yet the signs are still up. We all no how "anal" NC is about carrying in the prescence of signs.

riverrat10k

imported post

Just want to make sure that the NATIONAL SEASHORE falls under NPS jurisdiction. We have a Virginia thread going that OC is still illegal in NATIONAL FORESTS.

NCBobD

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
The only tricky part is avoiding the "State Gamelands" where you can't carry a pistol in the "off season". And there is a maddening patchwork of "state gamelands" throughout the entire OBX area...
I'm curious, are there any individuals, state reps or organizations working to change the regulations restricting 2a rights on "gamelands?"In National Forests?GRNC? Anyone?

chiefjason

imported post

NCBobD wrote:
Dreamer wrote:
I'm curious, are there any individuals, state reps or organizations working to change the regulations restricting 2a rights on "gamelands?" In National Forests? GRNC?  Anyone?

I had a post up here while they were taking public comments on the upcoming rule changes and taking suggestions for new ones. I'll get another one up next time it comes around. I went to the public hearing in Morganton and voiced my concern there as well. I think we got their attention this year, since they made a point to post a news release regarding the difference in Gamelands and NPS land.

And the signs are wrong. Period. They can only post buildings or outdoor theaters where park service employees work. I OC'd by 2 rangers on the parkway, they noticed but said nothing.

Smokies firearms page.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

To get around the gamelands issue you can carry a .22 pistol with a barrel less than 7.5". Check page 55 of the hunting regs book. Or first page, on the right side under weapons. I know, I know it's a crappy defensive round.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Regs/2009_10/2009_10_Gamelands.pdf