• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Secured in vehicle

NovaCop

imported post

There has been a recent trend I have been seeing in the Nova area that has also been tossed around from department to department. Seems that thieves are targeting personal cars of police/security that have stickers indicting such. Also targeted were individuals cars that had NRA/pro gun stickers (never heard of any stickers on victim vehicles for VCDL, although other departments don't give specific details). Thieves are breaking into these cars in search of guns/ammo/equiptment/etc. These guys are actually getting guns/vests/radios etc from the cars, so will likely continue. Most of the time, the gun is locked into the trunk, but it's easy access to the trunk once someone gets into the passenger compartment.

So just be careful when leaving your gun in your car, especially if you do overnight. A quick cable lock through your gun secured to your trunk frame should do the trick. Also be sure to keep records of your gun's serial numbers so if it is ever lost/stolen, then it can be entered into the system as such (so when someone runs the number, it will come up lost/stolen). Take care and have a good weekend.

TFred

imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
There has been a recent trend I have been seeing in the Nova area that has also been tossed around from department to department. Seems that thieves are targeting personal cars of police/security that have stickers indicting such. Also targeted were individuals cars that had NRA/pro gun stickers (never heard of any stickers on victim vehicles for VCDL, although other departments don't give specific details). Thieves are breaking into these cars in search of guns/ammo/equiptment/etc. These guys are actually getting guns/vests/radios etc from the cars, so will likely continue. Most of the time, the gun is locked into the trunk, but it's easy access to the trunk once someone gets into the passenger compartment.

So just be careful when leaving your gun in your car, especially if you do overnight. A quick cable lock through your gun secured to your trunk frame should do the trick. Also be sure to keep records of your gun's serial numbers so if it is ever lost/stolen, then it can be entered into the system as such (so when someone runs the number, it will come up lost/stolen). Take care and have a good weekend.
I think this is one of the bigger reasons that the VCDL license plate didn't ever get enough support.

TFred

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I tend to agree TFred. Although I have no issue with someone else having a VCDL license tag, there's no way on earth I'd have one or any of the other stickers on my vehicle for just that reason. I'd rather mine just be non-descript car sitting in aparking lot.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

jmelvin wrote:
I tend to agree TFred. Although I have no issue with someone else having a VCDL license tag, there's no way on earth I'd have one or any of the other stickers on my vehicle for just that reason. I'd rather mine just be non-descript car sitting in aparking lot.
It's a two-edge sword. On the other hand, someone who was considering a road rage incident against you, might reconsider. Or perhaps someone approaching your car with intent to carjack until he noticed that sticker.

I have had some interesting stories relayed to me along those lines over the years.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Always a possibility, but given the number of gun owners and even gun shop employees who are clueless about VCDL in particular around here, the VCDL tag probably wouldn't do squat for me. NRA tag might catch some attention, but I'd be just as likely to put a NRA anything on my car as I'd be to put some kind of NAMBLA sticker on it.

Generally the big Ruger or somesuch carried openly keeps the trash away, at least when I'm walking to and from the car.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

jmelvin wrote:
Always a possibility, but given the number of gun owners and even gun shop employees who are clueless about VCDL in particular around here, the VCDL tag probably wouldn't do squat for me. NRA tag might catch some attention, but I'd be just as likely to put a NRA anything on my car as I'd be to put some kind of NAMBLA sticker on it.

Generally the big Ruger or somesuch carried openly keeps the trash away, at least when I'm walking to and from the car.
Nobody would understand "Guns Save Lives" on the sticker?

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Nobody would understand "Guns Save Lives" on the sticker?

Ah yes, that one. Forgot about it. I was thinking more of a sticker or somesuch that would only have the little patriot figure with VCDL on the circular logo. Perhaps the Guns Save Lives sticker might do more good on the back of the ol' car than on the refrigerator door. That sticker, may just help save the ol' bacon.

Fenris

imported post

Ah, the great debate. "Open Sticker" (OS) versus "Concealed Sticker" (CS).

OS'ing might tend to deter possible criminal assaults, but may attract property crimes. Plus you run the risk of being targeted first in a parking lot killing spree. On the other hand you get to make a political statement and possibly educate the general public.

Since parking lot killing sprees are rather uncommon in Northern Virginia (Aimal Kasi aside) I think it boils down to deterrence + politics vs theft.

Since I can replace anything stolen but life is a bit more precious, theoretically I come down on the side of OS rather than CS.

Unfortunately, I just don't like bumper stickers. :(

virginiatuck

imported post

Fenris wrote:
Since I can replace anything stolen but life is a bit more precious, theoretically I come down on the side of OS rather than CS.
Are there any statistics available on how often stolen guns save lives in Virginia versus how often stolen guns are used to rob or hurt somebody in New York City?