Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grooming Standards for Police?

Post imported post

I've been compiling a database of information regarding the policies for CHP applications and Handgun Purchase Permits in NC, and in the process of collecting all the data, I have to go to all the Sheriff's department websites of our state. In my research, I've been visiting a lot of other LEA websites as well, in NC and other states.

I've noticed an interesting trend, not just with Sheriffs, but with LEO's in general in the USA.

Why is it that so many LEO's seem to be adopting the "Anton LaVey" look? You know--shaved heads and thin goatees?

What's up with that?
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

You mean the official "Undercover Cop" look? Every narc unit, special crimes unit, etc all have the same 'bald with goatee' look.

I don't understand it, either. I think they think it makes them look 'dangerous' or 'biker-like'.

Post imported post

AZkopper wrote:
    You mean the official "Undercover Cop" look? Every narc unit, special crimes unit, etc all have the same 'bald with goatee' look.

I don't understand it, either. I think they think it makes them look 'dangerous' or 'biker-like'.

Which is sort of odd, considering most of the "bikers" I've ever seen have long-ish hair and if they have any facial hair, they tend to have full beards...

But I do think it has a lot to do with presenting an intimidating look.

Personally, I think it makes most folks look like Egyptian extras in the latest "Mummy" movie...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

i saw a beat cop the other day. in a marked car, wearing the standard uniform, short sleeves. he had full sleeve tattoos on both arms. i was kinda suprised about that

Post imported post

I suppose you could say that the standards have come way down... there was a time you were not allowed visible tattoo's or any facial hair beyond a 'stache

But there was also a time when admitting to ever having smoked pot could exclude you... now they just don't want you to have been stoned in a couple of years, LOL

I imagine, though, that it is increasingly difficult to hire quality people for those positions if you limit yourself to clean-shaven, inkless college grads who "never inhaled"

Post imported post

daddy4count wrote:
    I suppose you could say that the standards have come way down... there was a time you were not allowed visible tattoo's or any facial hair beyond a 'stache

i thought the stache was required

Post imported post

The stereotypical undercover narcotics detective is an American born Hispanic looking male in his late 30's, with short brown hair, and a goatee.

Post imported post

Since it seems that many are not expected to look professional it's no surprise then when they dont act professional either. Shaved heads, tatoos all over, wearing caps backwards... Yeah, real professional looking.
    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

Post imported post

I think the shaved head/goatee look started with Steve Goldberg--suddenly every tough guy wanna-be had that "look".

Post imported post

Huck wrote:
    Since it seems that many are not expected to look professional it's no surprise then when they dont act professional either. Shaved heads, tatoos all over, wearing caps backwards... Yeah, real professional looking.
    I've only seen undercover guys and Federal Agents sport that type of look. A lot of the DEA fellas wear casual jeans and a backwards hat, even while on duty.

Most police departments of a city or county have a facial hair policy that restrict side burns past the ear lobe, or anything except a mustache. A couple of departments here allow their officers to sport a goatee, but not many.

Post imported post

bomber wrote:
    i saw a beat cop the other day. in a marked car, wearing the standard uniform, short sleeves. he had full sleeve tattoos on both arms. i was kinda suprised about that
    In california most of L.A.P.D have tats alot are sleeved My old neighbor was on the crash crew and a gang member himself with loose ties to the mongols.When asked about the tattoo of his gang name he just told them it was a band..Glad I left..

Post imported post

I thought that was the standard look for everyone now. I haven't noticed any more LEO sporting it than the overall population. Maybe it was just because you didn't expect it of LEO but every third male under 40 I see latelyhas a shaved head and some kind of goatee. It is getting a little out of style and I expect to see something different in about another 18 months. These styles seem to make about a 4-5 year cycle before everyone gets in on it and something else comes along.

The hard problem is going to be how to get rid of the tattoos. Probably need to invest in tattoo removal to suplement the tinfoil business.

Post imported post

So now we have people condemning others for how they choose to look...

Post imported post

I didn't realize that I was condemning anyone? Just commenting that it was the latest style.

Post imported post

Such "looks" can reasonably be viewed as a reliable indicator of emotional maturity. They are probably the same type of paunchy, middle-agers who don muscle shirts and hang out around teen-agers at the beach -- totally clueless.

Police should be the best people society can produce. Tragically, they are too frequently among the worst.

(The unsteady hand betrays.)

Post imported post

old dog wrote:
    Such "looks" can reasonably be viewed as a reliable indicator of emotional maturity. They are probably the same type of paunchy, middle-agers who don muscle shirts and hang out around teen-agers at the beach -- totally clueless.

Police should be the best people society can produce. Tragically, they are too frequently among the worst.

(The unsteady hand betrays.)
    Are you talking about having a shaved head and a goatee?

Post imported post

Gee willikers, I can't imagine why anyone would infer that. I always supposed that look meant he once scored four touchdowns in a single game.

Post imported post

"Judge not lest ye be judged" which you will be eventually anyway. I am an Eagle Scout, Former Marine and Deacon at a well respected Church. I often sport a shaved head, lots of facial hair and my chest and shoulders are fully tattooed and I'm getting half sleeves down my arms. All of my tattoos are either religious in nature or "don't tread on me, etc.. types, but are still tattoos.
    I would agree that the standard for cops has gone way down recently, but just because they look a certain way doesn't mean they are not good guys. In the words of Dr. King
    "I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin (their outwardly appearance) but by the content of their character.
    If you wanna get pissed about cops I'll probably be leading the way on that. Lets just not judge each other by the way we look. I know many of us suffer this very same fate just exercising our second amendment rights open carrying.

Banned

Post imported post

The way a person chooses to appear to others does tell others a lot about them, allowing those others to make decisions about how (or whether) to deal with them. It is not about judging them in a biblical sense, unless others are making a judgment whether a person is saved or not.

There is also no comparison between chosen appearance and the color of one's skin. Such comparisons diminish the ugliness of racism and are despicable.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

In your face hypersensitive appearance-ism is tawdry and offensive.

Post imported post

The way a person chooses to appear is actually the way someone want to be judged whether we purposely choose it or not. We may want to stand out from the crowd or blend in. The old adage that you never get a second chance to make a first impression is absolutely correct. Most of the time we get a second chance to change the first impression but even then we will be judged by our appearance to some extent.

For me, I never trust a man wearing a bow-tie, plain and simple unless it is at a formal dinner where he had to because of his wife. For the most part I see tattoos, the shaved head and goatee as being one who wants to follow the crowd rather then trying to be an individual. It's like the old hippie mantra of do your own thing, but if you looked all of them were doing the same thing and looked the same way. So much for doing your own thing unless it meant your own thing was the same as everyone elses.Your appearancedoes reflect you to a larger part and every one of usare judged every day by our appearance whether it fully reflects everything or not. Either way it will be used as part of how we are seen and judged.

Post imported post

I wonder why the most conservative elements of society are so eager to appear to embrace the kind of person who, in appearance, would seem to be the antithesis of their culture.

Are you really saying you would trust your children or anything else of value to someone who looks like a fugitive from a Grade B biker movie? Do you really mean to say you would allow such a person to approach you on a dark street simply because he has a badge that could be procured in the sleaziest pawnshop?

Appearances matter and even if this person is four-square and dedicated such a look still says something disturbing about him. I've seen these people on the yellow footprints and there is something definitely off with them. They are the sort of emotional cripples who equate viciousness with toughness. If they were truly badasses they wouldn't need to look like freaks.

Post imported post

Call mewhat you will, but I don't think it looks freakish at all. I think it looks beautiful. Just because you all choose to look like something out of the 50's doesn't mean it's right. Some men in the middle east and asia wear what we would consider a dress but that doesn't make them freaks. You guys are hypocrites for calling me a freak and then chastizing all those who call you freaks for OCing.

What I was saying before is that I am a well respected man in my community and I look the way I do because it's comfortable and I like it. I don't really care what you think about it. We should judge people by ther actions not the way they look.

Banned

Post imported post

TheHossUSMC wrote:
    Call mewhat you will, but I don't think it looks freakish at all. I think it looks beautiful. Just because you all choose to look like something out of the 50's doesn't mean it's right. Some men in the middle east and asia wear what we would consider a dress but that doesn't make them freaks. You guys are hypocrites for calling me a freak and then chastizing all those who call you freaks for OCing.

What I was saying before is that I am a well respected man in my community and I look the way I do because it's comfortable and I like it. I don't really care what you think about it. We should judge people by ther actions not the way they look.
    You actually seem to care about what folks think about it a lot.

BTW, how people choose to look is an action.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

TheHossUSMC wrote:
    In the words of Dr. King
    "
    I have a dream....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast