• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Grooming Standards for Police?

Dreamer

imported post

I've been compiling a database of information regarding the policies for CHP applications and Handgun Purchase Permits in NC, and in the process of collecting all the data, I have to go to all the Sheriff's department websites of our state. In my research, I've been visiting a lot of other LEA websites as well, in NC and other states.

I've noticed an interesting trend, not just with Sheriffs, but with LEO's in general in the USA.

Why is it that so many LEO's seem to be adopting the "Anton LaVey" look? You know--shaved heads and thin goatees?

What's up with that?

AZkopper

imported post

You mean the official "Undercover Cop" look? Every narc unit, special crimes unit, etc all have the same 'bald with goatee' look.

I don't understand it, either. I think they think it makes them look 'dangerous' or 'biker-like'.

Dreamer

imported post

AZkopper wrote:
You mean the official "Undercover Cop" look? Every narc unit, special crimes unit, etc all have the same 'bald with goatee' look.

I don't understand it, either. I think they think it makes them look 'dangerous' or 'biker-like'.
Which is sort of odd, considering most of the "bikers" I've ever seen have long-ish hair and if they have any facial hair, they tend to have full beards...

But I do think it has a lot to do with presenting an intimidating look.

Personally, I think it makes most folks look like Egyptian extras in the latest "Mummy" movie... :lol:

bomber

imported post

i saw a beat cop the other day. in a marked car, wearing the standard uniform, short sleeves. he had full sleeve tattoos on both arms. i was kinda suprised about that

daddy4count

imported post

I suppose you could say that the standards have come way down... there was a time you were not allowed visible tattoo's or any facial hair beyond a 'stache

But there was also a time when admitting to ever having smoked pot could exclude you... now they just don't want you to have been stoned in a couple of years, LOL

I imagine, though, that it is increasingly difficult to hire quality people for those positions if you limit yourself to clean-shaven, inkless college grads who "never inhaled"

bomber

imported post

daddy4count wrote:
I suppose you could say that the standards have come way down... there was a time you were not allowed visible tattoo's or any facial hair beyond a 'stache
i thought the stache was required

Aaron1124

imported post

The stereotypical undercover narcotics detective is an American born Hispanic looking male in his late 30's, with short brown hair, and a goatee.

Huck

imported post

Since it seems that many are not expected to look professional it's no surprise then when they dont act professional either. Shaved heads, tatoos all over, wearing caps backwards... Yeah, real professional looking.

4sooth

imported post

I think the shaved head/goatee look started with Steve Goldberg--suddenly every tough guy wanna-be had that "look".

Aaron1124

imported post

Huck wrote:
Since it seems that many are not expected to look professional it's no surprise then when they dont act professional either. Shaved heads, tatoos all over, wearing caps backwards... Yeah, real professional looking.
I've only seen undercover guys and Federal Agents sport that type of look. A lot of the DEA fellas wear casual jeans and a backwards hat, even while on duty.

Most police departments of a city or county have a facial hair policy that restrict side burns past the ear lobe, or anything except a mustache. A couple of departments here allow their officers to sport a goatee, but not many.

brokenbarrel

imported post

bomber wrote:
i saw a beat cop the other day. in a marked car, wearing the standard uniform, short sleeves. he had full sleeve tattoos on both arms. i was kinda suprised about that
In california most of L.A.P.D have tats alot are sleeved My old neighbor was on the crash crew and a gang member himself with loose ties to the mongols.When asked about the tattoo of his gang name he just told them it was a band..Glad I left..

PT111

imported post

I thought that was the standard look for everyone now. I haven't noticed any more LEO sporting it than the overall population. Maybe it was just because you didn't expect it of LEO but every third male under 40 I see latelyhas a shaved head and some kind of goatee. It is getting a little out of style and I expect to see something different in about another 18 months. These styles seem to make about a 4-5 year cycle before everyone gets in on it and something else comes along.

The hard problem is going to be how to get rid of the tattoos. Probably need to invest in tattoo removal to suplement the tinfoil business.

old dog

imported post

Such "looks" can reasonably be viewed as a reliable indicator of emotional maturity. They are probably the same type of paunchy, middle-agers who don muscle shirts and hang out around teen-agers at the beach -- totally clueless.

Police should be the best people society can produce. Tragically, they are too frequently among the worst.

(The unsteady hand betrays.)

Aaron1124

imported post

old dog wrote:
Such "looks" can reasonably be viewed as a reliable indicator of emotional maturity. They are probably the same type of paunchy, middle-agers who don muscle shirts and hang out around teen-agers at the beach -- totally clueless.

Police should be the best people society can produce. Tragically, they are too frequently among the worst.

(The unsteady hand betrays.)
Are you talking about having a shaved head and a goatee?

old dog

imported post

Gee willikers, I can't imagine why anyone would infer that. I always supposed that look meant he once scored four touchdowns in a single game.

TheHossUSMC

imported post

"Judge not lest ye be judged" which you will be eventually anyway. I am an Eagle Scout, Former Marine and Deacon at a well respected Church. I often sport a shaved head, lots of facial hair and my chest and shoulders are fully tattooed and I'm getting half sleeves down my arms. All of my tattoos are either religious in nature or "don't tread on me, etc.. types, but are still tattoos.
I would agree that the standard for cops has gone way down recently, but just because they look a certain way doesn't mean they are not good guys. In the words of Dr. King
"[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin (their outwardly appearance) but by the content of their character.
If you wanna get pissed about cops I'll probably be leading the way on that. Lets just not judge each other by the way we look. I know many of us suffer this very same fate just exercising our second amendment rights open carrying.
[/font]
[/font]

eye95

imported post

The way a person chooses to appear to others does tell others a lot about them, allowing those others to make decisions about how (or whether) to deal with them. It is not about judging them in a biblical sense, unless others are making a judgment whether a person is saved or not.

There is also no comparison between chosen appearance and the color of one's skin. Such comparisons diminish the ugliness of racism and are despicable.