• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Was just informed of a 3 day extension on my application

GuruBear

imported post

Well I called the shop today - planning on picking up a Glock 23 at 6:30 on the nose and was informed that there was a 3 day extension put on my application.

I can't seem to get a straight answer on what this is or what 'usually' happens. When I bought the gun I was told sometimes it can take a bit longer if I have lived in Multiple states - which I have, I have been in Wisconsin for 5 years, South Carolina before that, California Before that, New Mexico before that, etc etc.

I am really hoping that this is what the delay is. Someone want to put my mind at ease and tell me this is probably the case?

What a pain in the butt. I am starting to dislike this state.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

More than likely you have a common name and they want to make sure they are checking the background of the right person. I have had the same thing happen to me in the past.

LOERetired

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
More than likely you have a common name and they want to make sure they are checking the background of the right person. I have had the same thing happen to me in the past.
There are more then one Master Doug's out there :banghead:eek:h no

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sorry to say but you are getting an education in patience as I told my son,

It took about 2 1/2 weeks for his back ground check to come thru same story they don't know whats taking so long etc. they called and told him he could pick up his gun that he didn't need to wait for 48 hr waiting period.

TyGuy

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
It reminds me of a guy applying for a FOID card in Illinois that was denied because he was a felon. After many phone calls they figured out that someone with the same first and last name and born on the same day was the felon, not the guy applying for the FOID.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

cowboyridn wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:

OMG,U got me laffin my a$$ off.

Doug, please don't take offense. I have very thick skin and have no issue with you. I think way tooo many peeps read you the wrong way.

M

McX

imported post

no, you guys got it all wrong. due to a loophole in the laws, all gun sales now must be approved by me. and i will delay your sale if your buying a better gun than i own. to speed up the process, buy a nice gun for me too!:p

Mr.arker

imported post

This happens to me every time I purchase a handgun. For a rifle or shotgun, it takes about 30 seconds.
The 3 day extension doesn't mean you'll have to wait 72 hrs. With mine, it took about an extra 4 hrs. The dealer called and said you can pick it up anytime, the 48 hour wait doesn't start all over again. If I remember correctly, they don't work on major holidays.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

cowboyridn wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:
And this is suppose to mean what?

GuruBear

imported post

Well unfortunately my name isn't very common, but I suppose that could be it. I have been over and over the laws and I am wondering about:

"If the search indicates a felony charge without a recorded disposition, the deadline under sub. (2) (d) is extended to the end of the 3rd complete working day commencing after the day on which the finding is made."

I am curious about the language here.

My question is, if someone was arrested, then released and no charges were filed - does that count as a charge without a recorded disposition. Or does a charge without a recorded disposition really mean that someone was arrested, went to court, charges were filed and the outcome was not recorded for some reason?

Does anyone know a legitimate source for background checks? I don't trust many of the internet sites because its usually a ploy to get money from you, then more money to actually get at the information.

Also, I believe that I read that if the 3 days goes by and nothing comes up, the dealer is allowed to sell the gun. Does anyone know if that's true?

GuruBear

imported post

Hi, thats the page I have been using as a reference. In looking over various state laws, I see that if you are arrested but no charges are filed - that arrest is still on file regardless of whether you were innocent or not.

What I am wondering is will this prevent someone from being approved to purchase a handgun in Wisconsin.

I will be sure to post the outcome "on or before June 2nd" :cool:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Gurubear, Welcome to the club!

Ever single firearm I have purchased since the NICS started has taken no less than 7-9 days for my "Proceed" to come through.

My last name is only shared by 2 other people (my mother and my brother) in this entire country. None of us have ever had any felony charges against us, but I get delayed every single time.

There is a way to fix this, you can call the NICS 1-800 number and request forms to get your "U-PIN" then instead of using your SS number, you put in your U-PIN and then you will get immediate approval.

You will need to fill out paperwork, go to your local police station and get fingerprinted, and have a notary stamp your forms and send them back to the FBI.
This give the NICS group permission to keep your info on record instead of destroying the previous checks within 48 hours as they currently do.

Good luck, if you get delayed once, you can plan on getting delayed every single time from now until your death, or you can give up your privacy and get firearms quicker.

Captain Nemo

imported post

Handgun purchses in wisconsin do not go through NICS. The application and background check is processed through the Wisconsin Department of Justice. You probably got caught upin a backlog or Holiday delay.

Captain Nemo

imported post

You can be denied a handgun purchaseif you have been convicted of a felony in Wisconsin or if you were convicted of a crime in another state that could be a felony if convicted in Wisconsin. I suspect that because you have lived in so many states that your application is delayed until all that can be checked out. You can be denied possession also if convicted of a crime of domestic abuse or if the court has ordered you to not possess a firearm. There are additional disqualifications if you are Native American but I presume that doesn't apply in your case.

GuruBear

imported post

Hi again.. This is getting frustrating. I haven't been convicted of anything. I do have an arrest from years ago (not violent) but no charges were filed, no court, etc. However my background check continues to spin on and on. I was told June 2nd, now its just "whenever" the Ca. dept of Justice responds.

I had thought that I originally read that they had 'x' amount of time to come back with a decision and if they didn't within a certain amount of time, the dealer could go ahead with the sale. I guess that's incorrect because the store just told me they have up to 30 days. I asked what happens then? He said "They HAVE to tell us within 30 days" so I said "and if they don't, then what?" he said "then they have to do it over again"

This is absolutely ridiculous.

I asked if there was a way for me to expedite the process on my end - and he said "No".

Flame away, but this is from Badger guns who have been hit or miss on the customer service. I know this is bureaucratic crap and has nothing to do with them, although I think that expectations should be clearly spelled out to anyone who makes a purchase.

So, is this the same crap I would have to deal with in a private sale? or a gun show? I know a gun show is coming up soon, and I am very tempted to take my money back and move on. I certainly wouldn't have paid half down on a Glock if I had known this could just drag in indefinitely. The guy who took my money neglected to mention this, the implication was 48 hours, but the background check could take a bit longer if I had multiple resident states in my background.

So, short story long - are the gun shows around here worth going to? Are private sales prominent?

I've never been a very patient person but this involves the security of my home - in Milwaukee metro which is not exactly Mayberry.

Also, is this background check for all weapons or just handguns? If this is just a size issue, I would gladly just put the money towards a 12 gauge.

Thanks for listening to me bitch. I grew up in Massachusetts and lived in California, I never would have thought those two gun hating states would be easier to navigate than Wisconsin.

GuruBear

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
There is a way to fix this, you can call the NICS 1-800 number and request forms to get your "U-PIN" then instead of using your SS number, you put in your U-PIN and then you will get immediate approval.....

You will need to fill out paperwork, go to your local police station and get fingerprinted, and have a notary stamp your forms and send them back to the FBI.
This give the NICS group permission to keep your info on record instead of destroying the previous checks within 48 hours as they currently do.

Good luck, if you get delayed once, you can plan on getting delayed every single time from now until your death, or you can give up your privacy and get firearms quicker.
Hey thanks for the reply. I guess this is what I am going to have to do. Unfortunately, I have come to realize that living off the grid is just not possible for me. My prints are already on file from a legal issue.. so perhaps this is the best way to go for me.

I think my concern is that I am hoping there is no judgement call on the person doing the approval..The scenario I keep running in my head is that there is a human being who has some discretion as to whether or not to approve me, not that its a clear cut and dried case of the law. You can either have a gun or you cant.

I am an upstanding, law abiding, conservative, clean cut citizen. I just made a stupid mistake years ago and I have always worried about it coming back to haunt me. I am also really becoming aware of our rights being stripped away. I am guilty of apathy, 100% - if it didn't happen to me, I didn't worry about it. This is a wake up call for me. At the very least I should be involved with letter writing and using my search engine marketing abilities to spread the word that people need to wake up and pay attention.

Thanks again for listening to me harp... Might be the rain getting to me :banghead:

Jason in WI

imported post

GuruBear wrote:
So, short story long - are the gun shows around here worth going to? Are private sales prominent?
From my limited experience at the shows, most of the good stuff is sold by dealers where the wait and background check applies. I've seen a few handguns but the majority of private sales are longguns. If you do make a deal for a firearm from a private seller, its just cash and carry no checks, but the seller may or may not want to see ID or sign a bill of sale or what not. The cost to get in a show is usually reasonable so it wouldn't hurt to go and browse. Usually I end up going on Sunday's which are the last days for the shows so maybe I'm missing out :cry:.

GuruBear wrote:
Also, is this background check for all weapons or just handguns? If this is just a size issue, I would gladly just put the money towards a 12 gauge.
Long guns in Wisconsin go through the National Instant Firearms Background Checks System (NICS). Handguns go through our special Handgun Hotline. If you pass the NICS check you can take your longgun home right away.

GuruBear wrote:
Thanks for listening to me bitch. I grew up in Massachusetts and lived in California, I never would have thought those two gun hating states would be easier to navigate than Wisconsin.
Not a problem. Personally I think our laws for obtaining and owning firearms aren't that bad compared to other states. Sounds like you have issues with the states you previously lived in providing info in a timely manner, please don't hold that against Wisconsin :p.