• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Open-carry' advocate must give up guns, UPI.com

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

http://www.jsonline.com/newswatch/95019339.html

Last week, he was released on $100,000 cash bail, but prosecutors asked a judge this week to add the condition that Gonzalez not possess any dangerous weapons. The request did not indicate that Gonzalez had possessed guns after he was freed.
At a hearing Thursday before Milwaukee County Circuit Judge Kevin Martens, Gonzalez's attorney, Nelida Cortes, did not take a position on the request for the extra condition, and Martens added it, as well as a condition that Gonzalez not leave Wisconsin without the court's permission.
Martens also granted Assistant District Attorney Bill Molitor's request to extend an order that Corn have no contact with a couple who are relatives of the victims and possible witnesses in the case.

Don't miss the comments.

http://www.wisspd.org/html/training/ProgMaterials/Conf2009/SpBios.pdf
2009 WISCONSIN STATE PUBLIC DEFENDER CONFERENCE
SPEAKER BIOGRAPHIES
[ ... ]
Nelida Cortes is an Attorney Manager in the State Public Defender’s Milwaukee Trial Office.

LOERetired

imported post

So, basically, if the family seeks revenge, Gonzalez is barred from protecting himself against such. I agree with J.Gleason[/b], what happened to “innocent until proven guilty? Innocent men have constitutional rights not to be infringed even by a judge”. I think his attorney should have objected to the decision.

Don

johnny amish

imported post

I think we all know innocent until proven guilty is a bunch fairy tail bs in this country. How many innocent men and women are locked up because they did not have the money to hire Johnny Cochrane as their lawyer?

AdamXD

imported post

Although I disagree with the judge's decision, I understand why he made such a decision. Judges are supposed to be non-biased (even though that is rarely the case) and see the case from both the defendants as well as the prosecutes. That means the judge has to consider the unlikely possibility that this may have been a murder. Barring the right to carry a gun until the case is closed is a precautionary measure.

Unless this judge has a prior history of being biased to cases that involve guns or any other factors of this case, or he is directly asked why he made that decision, we can only assume that it is indeed a precautionary measure. I would have done the same if I were the judge.

M

McX

imported post

nothing the courts, the cops, the criminals, and society likes more than an unarmed victim! or victim in waiting in this case.

We-the-People

imported post

minuteman wrote:
His lawyer did not take a position against it? Whats up with that?
Yeah what's up with that? The lawyer should have taken the position (unless it would have hurt his defense strategy) that Jesus would be vulnerable to a vigillante attack by friends of the perpetrater...ummm "poor hardworking victim".

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

minuteman wrote:

Do we know this? Anyone seen the minutes of the hearing? From what I saw on WCCA the prosecution asked for a change of bail terms and the judge approved it. It doesn't show the actual arguments.

PT111

imported post

paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
minuteman wrote:

Do we know this? Anyone seen the minutes of the hearing? From what I saw on WCCA the prosecution asked for a change of bail terms and the judge approved it. It doesn't show the actual arguments.
Not a transcript from the hearing but as reported:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/95019339.html
At a hearing Thursday before Milwaukee County Circuit Judge Kevin Martens, Gonzalez's attorney, Nelida Cortes, did not take a position on the request for the extra condition, and Martens added it, as well as a condition that Gonzalez not leave Wisconsin without the court's permission.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

johnny amish wrote:
I think we all know innocent until proven guilty is a bunch fairy tail bs in this country. How many innocent men and women are locked up because they did not have the money to hire Johnny Cochrane as their lawyer?
a lot

M

McX

imported post

the insult is; the legal system counts on the defendant's weakness, inability to devote time, money, efforts, to mount an effective defense. the legal system doesn't seem interested in justice, and the prosecutors don't seem interested in building a factual case, just in seeing what slop they can piece together, what type of an effective smear they can mount, to futher shame an innocent citizen caught in the system.