• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Simply Rugged Holster Reviews

VA Big E

imported post

I am considering a Simply Rugged pancake holster for my SP101 3-1/16" 357 Ruger. Does anyone use this holster and if you do can you provide some pics of it with it on. I heard that they fit tight to the body and I am also considering the inside out straps for conceal carry. Any suggestions are helpful. I have a crappy mikes nylon holster and the hard plastic fobus retention holster (usually for winter under a coat).

Thank you.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

VA Big E wrote:
I am considering a Simply Rugged pancake holster for my SP101 3-1/16" 357 Ruger. Does anyone use this holster and if you do can you provide some pics of it with it on. I heard that they fit tight to the body and I am also considering the inside out straps for conceal carry. Any suggestions are helpful. I have a crappy mikes nylon holster and the hard plastic fobus retention holster (usually for winter under a coat).

Thank you.
Curtis has one.
I looked at them before I had my last one made, but he wouldn't do my addons so I passed. They really aren't custom, just hand made.

curtiswr

imported post

The more I wear it the more I like it (Ruger Redhawk 4"), but at the same time wonder if I should order something different. Even been thinking of a Galco DAO to be honest. It does fit tight to the body.

I like peter nap's take on it better, really. However, I am considering getting one for my SP-101 as well. Not sure, might just get a Don Hume open top... probably about the same thing but would get it faster I bet.

I was very pleased with New Kent Leather's work for my 1911.

Here's a picture that peter nap took of it on me:

b4.jpg

VA Big E

imported post

I like the look of it. I never had a leather holster. I had looked at the Don Hume open top but was not sure about it. I am not happy about the nylon holster with the SP101. But I did not know what I was getting into with my new revolver, other than it was highly recommended and very comfortable when I rented it a the range.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

VA Big E wrote:
Is that the reddish color of the holster? Can they make them in black?
This is one I made for my EDC on the farm. It's loosly based on the SR but with the changes I wanted...especially the long tail on the retaining strap and the tension screw.

3.gif

curtiswr

imported post

Yes that's the color of the holster. If you want to request one be made in black via email, you can, but I very seriously doubt you will get a positive reply back. If you want a black one, you're gonna have to go somewhere else I bet. Based on what I heard from peter he's not very receptive at all of taking requests for any modifications. If you ask for it he'll probably reply explaining why his color is the best damn color in the world and if you don't like it you don't deserve to own one of the holsters.

curtiswr

imported post

VA Big E wrote:
The look of leather looks alot nicer that this fobus plastic holster.
Think that would work better with the 2-1/4 inch model... like mine. If you get rid of it in favor of leather what would you want for it? :D

VA Big E

imported post

And even better than this blackhawk nylon useless holster. This was the only holster that I could find that fit the gun when I purchased it from an SGK Gun show.

VA Big E

imported post

Thanks for the offer. I paid 25 bucks on Ebay for it. I am not looking to sell it because I use this in the winter when I wear my heavy coat. I occasionally wear it to the range when I take my daughter and let her shoot the Cricket Rifle. She has very good aim for an little kid!:D

curtiswr

imported post

I think you'd be happy with the Simply Rugged. I like it overall.

If you want something in black I would try and get in touch with New Kent Leather. His website is down right now for some reason, but he does great work and will make it how you want it made, although he does have designs available for you to pick from if you want to go the route of just pointing at something and him making it.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?h...cal_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQnQIwAA

GLW

imported post

I recommend a holster from Backwoods Leather in Portsmouth, on Tyre Neck Road. They make a nice holster for a reasonable price. I have 3 of them, and buddy has a nice black belt holster for his 3 inch SP-101. The holster is a belt-slide style, and has a nice addition of leather that goes over the top of the hammer, but doesn't hinder the draw. Backwoods Leather is often at the local gun shows, too.

Glenn

curtiswr

imported post

All this being said, if I could go back and make the decision again I wouldn't get it. I realized that I never really clarified that yet, and that it might be helpful to know.

Marco

imported post

I had a SR holster for an N Frame, it sat a little high for me but the lack ofcolor optionsis the reason I got rid of it, I couldn't get use to the orange/brown color.

VA Big E

imported post

Thank you all for the opinions. I am going to wait and research the options some more. Although the Don Hume Open Top 721 (I think) is looking good and also very affordable online. I may even consider AJ Concealco.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I've got a Simply Rugged pancake holster for my J frame .22 revolver, a S&W model 63, and I think it's terrific. I got it at a good price, used, however, and I wouldn't pay what they're asking for a new one.

However, I recently ordered a custom-made holster from http://www.lobogunleather.com, and I love it. Good price, andthe guy who makes 'em is good to work with and reliable. I told him I want him to make sure he doesn't get hit by a bus or anything, because I'm not buying a Galco ever again. The one he made for me, picture below, is an "enhanced pancake":
The Enhanced Pancake model utilizes tunnel-style belt loops fore and aft. The belt enters between the inner and outer holster shells, passes through a slot cut in the inner panel, then behind the holstered handgun, through another slot in the inner panel and out between the inner and outer holster shells.

This is theactual holster I got for my S&W 686+, five inch barrel, unfluted cylinder:

Enh%20Pck%20russet%20SWL5.jpg

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Curtis wrote:
user,

which rides higher? the simply rugged or the lobo?
At your request, I tried 'em both out. I'd say they're about the same, though the simply rugged model I've got has three slots for dual position options. It was a little hard to compare because the overall size of the J frame for which the S.R. was made is smaller than the L frame for which the Lobo was made. Also, the J frame's for a 4" barrel, while the Lobo's for a 5". I think the Lobo's better concealed carry option precisely because they did tend to ride the same, even though one's made for a bigger gun.