• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Get out your guns in Burien

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

Bob Warden wrote:
I won't take the chance. Break into my house and you're going down. Simple.
I am with you. If someone who I do not know is in my house, they are going down. I do not take chances with my life or the life of my family.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
Bob Warden wrote:
I am with you. If someone who I do not know is in my house, they are going down. I do not take chances with my life or the life of my family.
So an elderly dementia patient walks in during the evening hours and sits down, how does that work for you?

In my world and maybe yours to, there are exceptions and some of them are hard to make.

Bob Warden

imported post

BigDave wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:
Bob Warden wrote:
I am with you.  If someone who I do not know is in my house, they are going down.  I do not take chances with my life or the life of my family.
So an elderly dementia patient walks in during the evening hours and sits down, how does that work for you?

In my world and maybe yours to, there are exceptions and some of them are hard to make.
Thank God you're here Captain Unlikely Hypothetical Situation!!

T

TWG2A

imported post

This is great information. I believe that a Woman would have a much easier case proving she believed the invader would cause great personal harm to her (ie RAPE).

When I was a teenager I was babysitting a little boy overnight during the weekends. While at their house in the evenings I would hear footsteps walking down the gravel driveway along the side of the house. After a few weekends of this, I started to hear the footsteps coming up the wooden back porch and then would see the doorknob turning, as if he were trying to open the deadbolted door. I would call the police but they wouldn't show up for over half an hour, and ALWAYS with their sirens and lights on. (I wanted them to sneak up on the rotten bastard!)

One weekend I got a call from the neighbors who told me that their teen-aged daughter saw a guy looking into my bedroom window in the middle of the night. Watching me sleep. They said he stood there for a long time, just watching me through the window. Again, I called the police and when they came out I asked them if I could bring my gun and shoot the guy. They told me he had to be inside the home when I shot him (wink wink) and that I had to prove he was going tocause bodily harm.

I was raised around firearms, and by the time I was 12 and babysitting I had shot numerous deer and other critters. I spoke with the Mother of the child I was babysitting and asked her if I could bring my shotgun next time I came. She said NO WAY and forbade me to bring any type of firearm into her home and around her son.

After a few more weekends of the footsteps along the side of the house, watching the doorknob turn and hearing about him watching me sleeping through my bedroom window I decided I would quit that job since she wouldn't allow me to bring one of my guns to protect myself and the child. When I told her I quit because I no longerfelt safe in her homewithout my firearm, she finally agreed to let me bring it, but told me I could not bring ammunition. :)?) Better than nothing, I figured, so I brought my 12g shotgun, leaving the ammo at home. (I would never do that today!)

The family room was where the wooden porch and back door was. This is where he was trying to open the door. It had a large window at the top section of the door with one of those blinds that roll up really fast when you tug the bottoma tiny bit. I sat there waiting for him and, like clockwork, I heard the footsteps along the gravel driveway, then heard him coming up the wooden back porch..... I was starting to hyperventilate (I WAS TWELVE!) but knew I had to keep my composure and to act like my shotgun was loaded if I wanted to scare this guy.

As soon as he started turning the doorknob I pulled the blind open and stuck my 12g in his face. I screamed all sorts of thingsyou don't allow 12 year olds to say. All I saw were the whites of his eyes and his back as he was running away. (I'm sure the police could have followedthe path of urine off the porch, rightout the yard and all the way to hisplace of "residence".)

He never returned.

And I've never forgotten that he WOULD have raped me, and possibly the little boy I was babysitting, had he been able to get into the house and had I not had a firearm (albeit unloaded).

And I believe ANY "man" who tries to enter my home without my permission is there FOR THE SAME REASON. PERIOD. There will be no questions asked and no mercy given. If someone comes into my home without being invited, THEY WILL BE SHOT. Because I will not be raped.

Oh, and don't forget that the LEO's have no legal requirement to protect us. They do what they can, but in the 30 minutes it takes to get there (in many cases), an intruder would be able to do a whole lot of damage including murder. I'm not going to wait.

Soooooooo..... back to my original point..... I believe a women would have a much easier time proving that she believed the intruder would cause "great bodily harm". I can't speak for every woman in the world, but I think I can safely say that most of us do believe that an intruder would rape us. And THAT, my Friends, IS great bodily harm.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

BigDave wrote:

I am sure, if your hypothetical occurred, that most of us in this thread can make a distinction between an eldery person who has lost thei way and a POS-thug that needs to be put down.

I was accused in another thread of playing some sort of "card." Let me guess, in this thread I am a raging murderer of elderly people who suffer from dementia?

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
BigDave wrote:

I am sure, if your hypothetical occurred, that most of us in this thread can make a distinction between an eldery person who has lost thei way and a POS-thug that needs to be put down.

I was accused in another thread of playing some sort of "card." Let me guess, in this thread I am a raging murderer of elderly people who suffer from dementia?
Like death panels. MuHahahahahahaha.:p

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Bob Warden wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:
Bob Warden wrote:

This actually occurred around 2 years ago, when is the last time something like this happened to you Bob?

Talk about Hypothetical Situations! Bob

They are good to considered as it will help resolve with in ourselves many situations, seldom is there in life completely right or wrong or black and white.

T

TWG2A

imported post

I can spot the difference between an elderly dementia patient and a thug.

If you can't, then you may need training. And if you shoot before you've identified the target, then you shouldn't own a firearm.

This is an almost ridiculous debate.

my .02

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
BigDave wrote:

Sylvia exactly the point we must assess the situation and respond accordingly.

A blanket response citing RCW 9A.16.050 seems to be black and white but when we look into the Pattern Jury Instructions the issue of the Reasonable Man Doctrine comes into play when the Jury must decide on what occurred.
In some situations I feel a Jury of our Peers may find it hard to say that they would have acted in the same manner as you described.

Bob Warden wrote;
Stealing from your tool shed would mean the commission of one or more felonies, meaning you are free to use deadly force. See paragraph 2 below. Just don't shoot him in the back as he runs away and you're good.
WPIC 16.02 Justifiable Homicide—Defense of Self And Others
(3) the slayer employed such force and means as a reasonably prudent person would use under the same or similar conditions as they reasonably appeared to the slayer, taking into consideration all the facts and circumstances as they appeared to [him][her], at the time of [and prior to] the incident.

Justifiable Homicide is there when we need it when nothing else will stop that imminent threat of life or limb, not a green light to go.

As Sylvia brought up that she would be able to distinguish between a thug and an elderly person is dead on, with all of our senses we are able to determine with in a split second to a couple of seconds our brains will determine if there is a true threat or not.

If coming upon or faced with a situation as such, by all means defend yourself and evaluate the threat and respond accordingly.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bob Warden wrote:

Funniest Line on OCDO in a long time!!!

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:monkey

p.s. With that being said, BigD is correct, there is a wide array of different scenarios and knowing the self defense statute is important.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Bob Warden wrote:

Funniest Line on OCDO in a long time!!!

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:monkey

p.s. With that being said, BigD is correct, there is a wide array of different scenarios and knowing the self defense statute is important.

Let's remember though "life and limb" is not in the RCW's though.

Not that I am endorsing randomly shooting people on your property, but I am going to automatically side first with the homeowner and his private property rights over someone who trespasses on to it.