Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Texas, you can't even OC a tatoo...

Post imported post

http://www.ksdk.com/news/national/st...3&catid=28

Six Flags refuses admission to mom with gun tattoos
    NBC -- A 30-year-old mother of three said she was refused entrance into Six Flags Over Texas because of her tattoo.

Samantha Osborn, a Texas girl through-and-through, has two six-shooters surrounded by yellow roses tattooed on her chest.

"I got it because I love Texas," she said. "I thought of cowboys and six-shooters and the yellow rose of Texas."

But a Six Flags employee stopped her at the entrance gate when she and her husband, Matt, went to the Arlington amusement park to celebrate his birthday.

"We tried to enter, one employee grabbed me and said my chest tattoo was offensive and that I may not be allowed into the park," Osborn said. "I was flabbergasted."

She said the employee told her Six Flags was a family-friendly place.

Osborn told the employee she was the mother of three girls.

"She said it was as offensive as a swastika and that she would sell me a $5 shirt to cover myself up and that they didn't let people with swastikas into Six Flags, and that my tattoo condoned violence," Osborn said.

Six Flags' dress code says park management can deny customers entrance if their clothing is deemed inappropriate or vulgar.

The code does not mention tattoos.

The Osborns, determined to celebrate the birthday, eventually entered the park through another line without being bothered, but the damage had been done.

"It just soured the whole experience, and we left," Samantha Osborn said.

Osborn, who has several tattoos, said she has never been harassed about them.

Her husband's tattoos are much more visible than hers and cover about 70 percent of his body.

"I've never been denied access or even asked to cover up entering any public place, ever," he said.

Samantha Osborn complained to Six Flags about what she called unfair and discriminatory treatment.

She later received a letter of apology by e-mail from Cindi Brickett, Six Flags guest services supervisor.

"We are dedicated to providing a fun-filled day that goes beyond your expectations," the e-mail said. "On behalf of the entire management team, I sincerely apologize that we did not meet that goal and hope that you will not allow this experience to diminish your impression of our park."

Brickett also promised the employee would be dealt with appropriately.
    "I received an e-mail, which wasn't a phone call. I would have really liked to speak to a person," Osborn said.

The Osborns said the experience left a sour taste in their mouths.
    They don't plan on returning to Six Flags. (NBC)

It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Banned

Post imported post

I fully support Six Flags' right to deny entrance to anyone.

I fully support the right of anyone to refuse to patronize Six Flags as a consequence.

Six Flags nearby was offering a nice season pass package. I was about to pull the trigger on it. Now, it's a no-go.

Post imported post

I don't find those tats attractive at all.
    However, if they banned anyone I find unattractive,
    they'd soon go broke.

I don't think Six Flags could survive on just the income
    from myself, Jessica Alba and Halle Berry....

Although I can see some advantages to that plan...

Post imported post

groats wrote:
    I don't find those tats attractive at all.
    However, if they banned anyone I find unattractive,
    they'd soon go broke.

I don't think Six Flags could survive on just the income
    from myself, Jessica Alba and Halle Berry....

Although I can see some advantages to that plan...
    I agree. A pair of Glocks would have been a better choice.

Post imported post

Tattoos are usually a very personal thing and and supposed to be an expression of one's personality. Sometimes I wonder about some people's personality. Yup, it's her body, her tattoos and her personality but I have to say that I don't much care for her taste. However I doubt that she cares for mine so that makes us about even on that front. Either way I think it was dumb for whoever tried to deny her admission based on tattoos. Although I think it is within Six Flags rights to deny admission to her I doubt that it was with management's approval.

Post imported post

"Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Post imported post

hope that you will not allow this experience to diminish your impression of our park."
    It diminished my impression of Six Flags. I would've expected something like this from Disney World/Land but Six Flags? Oh well, places like that get too crowded for my likeing anyway.
    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

Post imported post

Nothing about that Tattoo bothers me.

Whoever drew that is a reallygood Tattoo Artist, in my Opinion.

Post imported post

aadvark wrote:
    Nothing about that Tattoo bothers me.

Whoever drew that is a reallygood Tattoo Artist, in my Opinion.
    Hard to tell from that photo but I would say above average. I have seen quite a few tattoos that whoever did them should be sued for malpractice. I can't see why it would actually"bother" anyone.

Accomplished Advocate

Post imported post

one would think that as hard as economic times are for six flags, they'd shut their mouths about this. oh well.

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

At least the handguns aren't tattooed on the lady's guns.

Post imported post

A pretty tattoo on a pretty lady is verboten because "it promotes violence" but the shooting galleries in the arcades at Six Flags are ok?

Kudos to park management for issuing her a sincere letter of apology, although a couple of free passes would have been appropriate gesture of goodwill.

I've handled weapons since I was nine (hence "since9"). While that began with a .22 rifle, it progressed to shotguns (clays), .357, .44, 380 ACP, 9 mm, and .38. But it didn't stop their, for while I was in the Air Force, I also qualified expert on the M8, M9, and M16, B61 (nuclear bomb), AGM-86 (nuclear air to ground missile), and a slew of others.

Wow! I must be some sort of a freakin' miracle, because to date, not only have I never killed anyone, the only person whom I've ever even hurt was a guy who jumped me outside a bar!

A tattoo promotes violence? What a ridiculouslyBrady-brain-washed thing for that park employee to say! I sincerely hope he/she was fired.

The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Post imported post

lets see.....

Its been awhile since I have been to sixflaggs, but I do recall that astroworld in Houston (also part of six flaggs) had :

shooting galleries

a wild west type area

loony tunes, elmer fudd, yosimity sam ( shoot! all the loony tunes were violent)

batman ride with all the police and joker props

I do recall a similar experience I had at six flaggs when I attended post 911.

I was attending a two week class at the local airport. We stayed at the hotel overlooking sixflaggs.

On the weekend to kill time, a few of us decided to go to sixflaggs. One particular girl in our group worked for the N.T.S.B.

She was quite cute and dressed with spandex bike shorts and some appropriate top for the warm weather. No place to hide a gun. They had metal detectors at the time.

Her purse set them off. So she let them look in it. Thats when I found out they give ntsb badges. No gun, the badge set it off. The little guys at the gate had no clue how to handle it. Obviously no gun in purse or on her, but they were totally freaked about the badge. They kept asking her about a gun and was she a law enforcement even though her id and badge says she investigates crashed airplanes. It must have taken 5minutes and a dozen people and checking with each other on the radio they finally let us in. Nobody was rude, she was patient as she had similar experiece at airports.

Post imported post

We do need to remember that many of the "ticket takers" at places like this are temporary employees that actually are given very little training and usually either high school or college students. Usually they are given guidelines on some things but rarely how to handle the unusual. Many years ago I needed to go into Opryland to make a special purchase about 20 minutes before closing. This was a very unusual situation that would take too long to explain but I went up to one of the young ladies asking her to let me in. I even offered to leave my wife and daughter as "colateral" to be sure that I didn't do anything else. She flatly refused and made no offers to help. I walked over to another one of the ticket takers, she looked a little older and mre forgiving, and made my plea. She immediately said to go right in there, about 15' away,to guest relations and they would give me a "purchase pass" to get through. I went in, got my pass, took abouttwo minutes, and got into the place where I needed to make the special purchase.

The first employee had no idea aboutany kind of special purchase pass. She was only doing what she thought was rignt. It is up to management to explain to their employees all these little things and how to keep customers happy ahead of time rather than letting the screw up and firing them later. I am not sure that the ones in the OP were ignorant or stupid, I suspect ignorant, but I put part of the blame on management for not training the employees properly since they later apologized.

Now if the ones in the OP had been properly trained and actually though that this is what management wanted then I have to chalk it up to stupidity.

Banned

Post imported post

I can identify with the woman. I was nearly denied access to the Davidson County Courthouse on Thursday. I was wearing my starbucks I love Guns and Coffee T shirt, and the wackenhut security guard denied my entrance into the court house. He said my shirt was offensive. I asked him to see a copy of the rules. He stepped back and got a supervisor wh and that I had to turn it inside out. I refused. He told me the reason I was not being allowed entrance was due to my inappropriate shirt. The supervisor agreed. I told the supervisor to get his supervisor. He then said he wasn't going to be responsible for me. Then he let me pass through the metal detectors. People are offended by anything.

Post imported post

that they didn't let people with swastikas into Six Flags,
    Why the heck not? So are they saying that if some little skinhead wannabe shows up and has a swastika tatted on his arm or someplace visible they are going to turn him around? I might not agree with it but if some idiot wants to ink himself with a swastika then who the heck cares as long as he can afford to pay for his ticket? Good Grief.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Post imported post

Oh no! A slave has a tattoo of a gun. We can't have that!

Banned

Post imported post

yale wrote:
    that they didn't let people with swastikas into Six Flags,
    Why the heck not? So are they saying that if some little skinhead wannabe shows up and has a swastika tatted on his arm or someplace visible they are going to turn him around? I might not agree with it but if some idiot wants to ink himself with a swastika then who the heck cares as long as he can afford to pay for his ticket? Good Grief.
    And, as long as they are willing to refund the ticket, they should be able to kick him out, just as they should have been able to kick out the lady with the tattooed pistols. It's called Liberty. We have it. More importantly, they have it too.

I am exercising my Liberty by choosing not to do business with Six Flags because of what they did to the lady. Kicking out someone with a swastika would increase the chance that I will do business with them.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    And, as long as they are willing to refund the ticket, they should be able to kick him out, just as they should have been able to kick out the lady with the tattooed pistols. It's called Liberty. We have it. More importantly, they have it too.

I am exercising my Liberty by choosing not to do business with Six Flags because of what they did to the lady. Kicking out someone with a swastika would increase the chance that I will do business with them.
    This.

+1

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    http://www.ksdk.com/news/national/st...3&catid=28

Six Flags refuses admission to mom with gun tattoos
    NBC -- A 30-year-old mother of three said she was refused entrance into Six Flags Over Texas because of her tattoo.

"We tried to enter, one employee grabbed me and said my chest tattoo was offensive and that I may not be allowed into the park," Osborn said. "I was flabbergasted."

She said the employee told her Six Flags was a family-friendly place.

Osborn told the employee she was the mother of three girls.

"She said it was as offensive as a swastika and that she would sell me a $5 shirt to cover myself up and that they didn't let people with swastikas into Six Flags, and that my tattoo condoned violence," Osborn said.

Six Flags' dress code says park management can deny customers entrance if their clothing is deemed inappropriate or vulgar.

The code does not mention tattoos.

The Osborns, determined to celebrate the birthday, eventually entered the park through another line without being bothered, but the damage had been done.
    First bolded statement: is she saying the employee actually PUT HANDS on her? If so, I would definitely have shown him/her that guns are not the only way to inflict violence on someone. NO ONE has the right to put hands on someone else.

Between the second and third bolded statements: this indicates that an employee was imposing their OWN prejudicial interpretation of the company dress code. This seems to actually be a violation of the company's expected enforcement of their stated dress code.

I agree that the company did not do enough to soothe ruffled feathers ... and I do not see why the offending employee should be fired, rather they should be instructed in depth as to what the company dress code is and how to enforce it ... including how to keep your personal opinion out of the decision-making process. IMHO, too small of a person given too much responsibility without proper instruction or supervision.

:what:
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Post imported post

The part about the $5 shirt sort of tickles me like at my Golf course they require a collared shirt to play. We gets lots of fellows coming down for a golf getaway and quite frequently they will come in with a t-shirt on. The pro will quickly point out the sale rack of shirts with collars for those who left all their collared shirts back at the motel.

Post imported post

The time to deny entrance is before they take your money, pure case of fraud
    and theft by deception.

I got my six shooters covered at six flags and all I had to do was BUY THIS LOUSY T-Shirt!
    Just wonder how they would react if she grabs her daughter, hugs her to her chest and announces,
    "Let me in or the kid gets it" :what:

Should get pre 1900 serial numbers added to the tattoos, and they would get
    exempted from CC laws in Texas.

I guess BHO is right, and the economy has recovered if such an idiot can hold a job,
    everyone must be working now.

Post imported post

JTHunter wrote:
    Hhmm, makes me wonderwhat would happen if a skinhead with a swastika on his head would be allowed in if it was hidden by a ball cap when going through the gate.Â* If they didn't see it then but did later, would they make him leave?
    i worked security at a six flags and yes they have asked people to leave or change shirts if it was deemed offensive. though thats only if its something like nudity or blatantly racist and the swastika would typically be considered racist. honestly though if they made it through the gate we cared more about them keeping their shirts on than about what was on the shirt.

Post imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
    The time to deny entrance is before they take your money, pure case of fraud
    and theft by deception.

I guess BHO is right, and the economy has recovered if such an idiot can hold a job,
    everyone must be working now.

if its set up like the one i used to work at the security gate is after the ticket takers where we scan for knives and guns. we also had large signs at the ticket takers with park policies such as dress code, 30.06 sign, etc.

as for the idiot working there, its six flags. the only requirements were ged/diploma and 18 trips around the sun. sea world at least required i believe 2 or 2 and a half years experience. so lots of people there because the entry level pay was a dollar or so better than the most other things and people who were in it to feel powerful a.k.a. bullies, and i knew lots of them. she just happened to get one of the guys taking six flags waaaaaaaay to seriously.

if i were her i would have asked to speak to their supervisor though going through another line is what most people do to get food in because only half the officers care about anything besides weapons.

she just lost gate roulette and got an @#$% at the other end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast