• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In Texas, you can't even OC a tatoo...

Dreamer

imported post

http://www.ksdk.com/news/national/story.aspx?storyid=202963&catid=28

Six Flags refuses admission to mom with gun tattoos
NBC -- A 30-year-old mother of three said she was refused entrance into Six Flags Over Texas because of her tattoo.

Samantha Osborn, a Texas girl through-and-through, has two six-shooters surrounded by yellow roses tattooed on her chest.

"I got it because I love Texas," she said. "I thought of cowboys and six-shooters and the yellow rose of Texas."

But a Six Flags employee stopped her at the entrance gate when she and her husband, Matt, went to the Arlington amusement park to celebrate his birthday.

"We tried to enter, one employee grabbed me and said my chest tattoo was offensive and that I may not be allowed into the park," Osborn said. "I was flabbergasted."

She said the employee told her Six Flags was a family-friendly place.

Osborn told the employee she was the mother of three girls.

"She said it was as offensive as a swastika and that she would sell me a $5 shirt to cover myself up and that they didn't let people with swastikas into Six Flags, and that my tattoo condoned violence," Osborn said.

Six Flags' dress code says park management can deny customers entrance if their clothing is deemed inappropriate or vulgar.

The code does not mention tattoos.

The Osborns, determined to celebrate the birthday, eventually entered the park through another line without being bothered, but the damage had been done.

"It just soured the whole experience, and we left," Samantha Osborn said.

Osborn, who has several tattoos, said she has never been harassed about them.

Her husband's tattoos are much more visible than hers and cover about 70 percent of his body.

"I've never been denied access or even asked to cover up entering any public place, ever," he said.

Samantha Osborn complained to Six Flags about what she called unfair and discriminatory treatment.

She later received a letter of apology by e-mail from Cindi Brickett, Six Flags guest services supervisor.

"We are dedicated to providing a fun-filled day that goes beyond your expectations," the e-mail said. "On behalf of the entire management team, I sincerely apologize that we did not meet that goal and hope that you will not allow this experience to diminish your impression of our park."

Brickett also promised the employee would be dealt with appropriately.
"I received an e-mail, which wasn't a phone call. I would have really liked to speak to a person," Osborn said.

The Osborns said the experience left a sour taste in their mouths.
They don't plan on returning to Six Flags. (NBC)

eye95

imported post

I fully support Six Flags' right to deny entrance to anyone.

I fully support the right of anyone to refuse to patronize Six Flags as a consequence.

Six Flags nearby was offering a nice season pass package. I was about to pull the trigger on it. Now, it's a no-go.

groats

imported post

I don't find those tats attractive at all.
However, if they banned anyone I find unattractive,
they'd soon go broke.

I don't think Six Flags could survive on just the income
from myself, Jessica Alba and Halle Berry....

Although I can see some advantages to that plan...

SpringerXDacp

imported post

groats wrote:
I don't find those tats attractive at all.
However, if they banned anyone I find unattractive,
they'd soon go broke.

I don't think Six Flags could survive on just the income
from myself, Jessica Alba and Halle Berry....

Although I can see some advantages to that plan...
I agree. A pair of Glocks would have been a better choice. :)

PT111

imported post

Tattoos are usually a very personal thing and and supposed to be an expression of one's personality. Sometimes I wonder about some people's personality. Yup, it's her body, her tattoos and her personality but I have to say that I don't much care for her taste. However I doubt that she cares for mine so that makes us about even on that front. Either way I think it was dumb for whoever tried to deny her admission based on tattoos. Although I think it is within Six Flags rights to deny admission to her I doubt that it was with management's approval.

Huck

imported post

hope that you will not allow this experience to diminish your impression of our park."

It diminished my impression of Six Flags. I would've expected something like this from Disney World/Land but Six Flags? Oh well, places like that get too crowded for my likeing anyway.

aadvark

imported post

Nothing about that Tattoo bothers me.

Whoever drew that is a reallygood Tattoo Artist, in my Opinion.

PT111

imported post

aadvark wrote:
Nothing about that Tattoo bothers me.

Whoever drew that is a reallygood Tattoo Artist, in my Opinion.
Hard to tell from that photo but I would say above average. I have seen quite a few tattoos that whoever did them should be sued for malpractice. I can't see why it would actually"bother" anyone.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A pretty tattoo on a pretty lady is verboten because "it promotes violence" but the shooting galleries in the arcades at Six Flags are ok?

Kudos to park management for issuing her a sincere letter of apology, although a couple of free passes would have been appropriate gesture of goodwill.

I've handled weapons since I was nine (hence "since9"). While that began with a .22 rifle, it progressed to shotguns (clays), .357, .44, 380 ACP, 9 mm, and .38. But it didn't stop their, for while I was in the Air Force, I also qualified expert on the M8, M9, and M16, B61 (nuclear bomb), AGM-86 (nuclear air to ground missile), and a slew of others.

Wow! I must be some sort of a freakin' miracle, because to date, not only have I never killed anyone, the only person whom I've ever even hurt was a guy who jumped me outside a bar!

A tattoo promotes violence? What a ridiculouslyBrady-brain-washed thing for that park employee to say! I sincerely hope he/she was fired.

helidude

imported post

lets see.....

Its been awhile since I have been to sixflaggs, but I do recall that astroworld in Houston (also part of six flaggs) had :

shooting galleries

a wild west type area

loony tunes, elmer fudd, yosimity sam ( shoot! all the loony tunes were violent)

batman ride with all the police and joker props

I do recall a similar experience I had at six flaggs when I attended post 911.

I was attending a two week class at the local airport. We stayed at the hotel overlooking sixflaggs.

On the weekend to kill time, a few of us decided to go to sixflaggs. One particular girl in our group worked for the N.T.S.B.

She was quite cute and dressed with spandex bike shorts and some appropriate top for the warm weather. No place to hide a gun. They had metal detectors at the time.

Her purse set them off. So she let them look in it. Thats when I found out they give ntsb badges. No gun, the badge set it off. The little guys at the gate had no clue how to handle it. Obviously no gun in purse or on her, but they were totally freaked about the badge. They kept asking her about a gun and was she a law enforcement even though her id and badge says she investigates crashed airplanes. It must have taken 5minutes and a dozen people and checking with each other on the radio they finally let us in. Nobody was rude, she was patient as she had similar experiece at airports.

PT111

imported post

We do need to remember that many of the "ticket takers" at places like this are temporary employees that actually are given very little training and usually either high school or college students. Usually they are given guidelines on some things but rarely how to handle the unusual. Many years ago I needed to go into Opryland to make a special purchase about 20 minutes before closing. This was a very unusual situation that would take too long to explain but I went up to one of the young ladies asking her to let me in. I even offered to leave my wife and daughter as "colateral" to be sure that I didn't do anything else. She flatly refused and made no offers to help. I walked over to another one of the ticket takers, she looked a little older and mre forgiving, and made my plea. She immediately said to go right in there, about 15' away,to guest relations and they would give me a "purchase pass" to get through. I went in, got my pass, took abouttwo minutes, and got into the place where I needed to make the special purchase.

The first employee had no idea aboutany kind of special purchase pass. She was only doing what she thought was rignt. It is up to management to explain to their employees all these little things and how to keep customers happy ahead of time rather than letting the screw up and firing them later. I am not sure that the ones in the OP were ignorant or stupid, I suspect ignorant, but I put part of the blame on management for not training the employees properly since they later apologized.

Now if the ones in the OP had been properly trained and actually though that this is what management wanted then I have to chalk it up to stupidity.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I can identify with the woman. I was nearly denied access to the Davidson County Courthouse on Thursday. I was wearing my starbucks I love Guns and Coffee T shirt, and the wackenhut security guard denied my entrance into the court house. He said my shirt was offensive. I asked him to see a copy of the rules. He stepped back and got a supervisor wh and that I had to turn it inside out. I refused. He told me the reason I was not being allowed entrance was due to my inappropriate shirt. The supervisor agreed. I told the supervisor to get his supervisor. He then said he wasn't going to be responsible for me. Then he let me pass through the metal detectors. People are offended by anything.

sraacke

imported post

that they didn't let people with swastikas into Six Flags,
Why the heck not? So are they saying that if some little skinhead wannabe shows up and has a swastika tatted on his arm or someplace visible they are going to turn him around? I might not agree with it but if some idiot wants to ink himself with a swastika then who the heck cares as long as he can afford to pay for his ticket? Good Grief.

eye95

imported post

yale wrote:
that they didn't let people with swastikas into Six Flags,
Why the heck not? So are they saying that if some little skinhead wannabe shows up and has a swastika tatted on his arm or someplace visible they are going to turn him around? I might not agree with it but if some idiot wants to ink himself with a swastika then who the heck cares as long as he can afford to pay for his ticket? Good Grief.
And, as long as they are willing to refund the ticket, they should be able to kick him out, just as they should have been able to kick out the lady with the tattooed pistols. It's called Liberty. We have it. More importantly, they have it too.

I am exercising my Liberty by choosing not to do business with Six Flags because of what they did to the lady. Kicking out someone with a swastika would increase the chance that I will do business with them.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

eye95 wrote:
And, as long as they are willing to refund the ticket, they should be able to kick him out, just as they should have been able to kick out the lady with the tattooed pistols. It's called Liberty. We have it. More importantly, they have it too.

I am exercising my Liberty by choosing not to do business with Six Flags because of what they did to the lady. Kicking out someone with a swastika would increase the chance that I will do business with them.

This.

+1