• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry

samaloney2006

imported post

Good morning folks. I will be traveling to Colorado from Hawaii via Washington State in a few days to visit my brother and family. I understand Colorado is an open carry state. Also I understandI can carry in my vehicle as long as it is not concealed. I am not to worried about open carry while I am there but I am concerned about in my truck. Can anyone give me a short lesson or something about open carry in Coloado. I lookedat the laws on line but thought I would check with the folks who have been there. Thanks for any help.As an aside I have concealed permits from Washington State and Florida but with the change in laws (recognized permit must be from home state) myFlorida permit isno good anymore. Washington State never was recognized which is my home state. My E-mail address is nwms.jim@hawaiiantel.net.:celebrate

Dynamite Rabbit

imported post

Welcome! I'm sure you'll enjoy it here.

You can conceal in your vehicle -- basically it's considered an extension of your home.

You can open carry anywhere in Colorado, with the exception of the City and County of Denver. There is debate about certain municipalities -- state preemption *should* apply, so towns can't pass ordinances regarding firearms, but some have claimed the same power Denver has to regulate open carry. There doesn't seem to be any case law covering these towns, and there also doesn't seem to be serious enforcement, in general, of these "illegal" ordinances.

Where will you be staying?

Edit: You are correct about your permits -- Colorado doesn't recognize non-resident permits from other states.

cscitney87

imported post

As covered in previous threads.. Rabbit is simply saying *should* because, as you know, towns and cities generally older than current legislation guiding the carry of handguns. Before our Colorado Supreme Court and subsequent cases, many localities had regulations on the carry of firearms. These regulations, in various towns, are perhaps very very old. Some are over a hundred years old. The city of Golden, for example, has a regulation banning the open carry of firearms in their city. This law became so much earlier than the decision by our Supreme Court in the last 10 years. The newest State laws regarding the open carry of firearms is a complete preemption for every single jurisdiction except Denver County/City.

Many city and local laws remain "on the books" as there is No Need to waste taxpayer funds by Removing Them via standard procedures. The laws are simply null and void.

You may open carry literally everywhere except Denver City/County. Do not open carry if a sign prohibiting you from doing so is posted at every public entrance to the area you visit. This means look out at city parks and other "open space" recreation areas. Simply keep your eyes peeled for proper signage banning open carry.

Have a great day and welcome to the beautiful State of Colorado.