• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is an H&K MP5K Considered a "Pistol'?

The Expert

imported post

Not that I own one or plan on buying one in the future, but I keep seeing MP5K semi-auto clones being sold at various gun stores/shows.

I was wondering if they are considered a "pistol" or not. They can't be classified as a "sub-machine gun" because they are not semi-auto. Can't be classified as a rifle because it doesn't shoot rifle ammo. Shotgun is pretty obvious which leaves one option.

Anyway...if you have your CPL could you concealed carry your MP5K clone in a small backpack?

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

coffee4meplz wrote:
If it has a butt stock or forward grib, then it's a SBR and you must get the tax stamp.

not necessarily a SBR, it could be a Serbu Super Shorty 12g shot gun...it's an AOW but as you said it too needs a tax stamp.

The good thing is it's only a $5 AOW Tax Stamp

mikestilly

imported post

hkmp5.jpg

An MP5 is a SBR. (pictured above)

But an MP5K (pictured below)
mp5k_001.jpg

Is a Michigan pistol and can be carried under the law just like any other pistol.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

mikestilly wrote:
mp5k_001.jpg

Is a Michigan pistol and can be carried under the law just like any other pistol.
I know MI has some strange laws on pistols and rifle. Are you sure that is not an AOW according to federal law? It has two vertical grips and a short barrel. Isn't that the same as putting a second vertical grip on a glock pistol?

mikestilly

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
mikestilly wrote:
mp5k_001.jpg

I know MI has some strange laws on pistols and rifle. Are you sure that is not an AOW according to federal law? It has two vertical grips and a short barrel. Isn't that the same as putting a second vertical grip on a glock pistol?

http://www.firearmowners.com/index.php/legal-center/firearms-information/michigan-pistol

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

mikestilly wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:
mikestilly wrote:
mp5k_001.jpg

http://www.firearmowners.com/index.php/legal-center/firearms-information/michigan-pistol

So it appears according to the link that it is a pistol under MI law. Since the feds say that is not a pistol, but rather an any other weapon, do the Feds prosecute people withthat type of non nfa registeredtypes of firearms in MI?

The Expert

imported post

dougwg wrote:
"The Expert" is asking us?
You crack me up. I pick that ID on all the forum I join because a) I was both a pistol and rifle expert in the Marine Corps and b) the user name usually is available.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Just pointing out the obvious irony :)

And yes, under MI law that is a Pistol.....but at the same time, Federally, it's an AOW with the VFG.

So, you fill out the BS gubment paperwork and send them a check for $5....wait....wait....get approved, go get the gun and then register it as a pistol in MI.

Then let me know, cuz I want to shoot it too.

Francesco Bernz

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:
mikestilly wrote:
mp5k_001.jpg

That link says that it has to have a 16" barrel to be a Michigan pistol. Does this gun come with a 16" barrel to be a legal Michigan pistol? Is there some kind of law reference to read that the link is based on? Was that link written by a lawyer? I'd like to know more.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

dougwg wrote:

And yes, under MI law that is a Pistol.....but at the same time, Federally, it's an AOW with the VFG.

So, you fill out the BS gubment paperwork and send them a check for $5....wait....wait....get approved, go get the gun and then register it as a pistol in MI.

Isn't it $200 for the stamp and $5 if you want to transfer it later?

kryptonian

imported post

someone told me MP5 was easy to turn full auto without extra parts. he explained it but i didn't understand parts and you would have to know the insides to do it. of course wouldn't do it and if you got caught you would be in prison next to kwame.
that's the weapons the terrorists had in Die Hard and sucks as a secondary weapon when playing SOCOM Navy Seals 2 on PSP.

office888

imported post

The Expert wrote:
Not that I own one or plan on buying one in the future, but I keep seeing MP5K semi-auto clones being sold at various gun stores/shows.

I was wondering if they are considered a "pistol" or not.  They can't be classified as a "sub-machine gun" because they are not semi-auto.  Can't be classified as a rifle because it doesn't shoot rifle ammo.  Shotgun is pretty obvious which leaves one option.

Anyway...if you have your CPL could you concealed carry your MP5K clone in a small backpack?

They aren't MP5 "clones" per say.

They're made by a company that previously made Airsoft guns, and the overall quality is reflective of that. ATI, GSG5 series. The model you're talking about is the GSG5PK.

They'll shoot as well as a 10/22, but they don't "feel" as solid.

They're ALL chambered in .22 LR.

Legally, the GSG5PK is a pistol. If you put a foregrip on a pistol, it is no longer "designed to be operated with one hand", and it's now an AOW.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

-Richard-

choover

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
dougwg wrote:

A stamp for a AOW is 5 bucks, auto weapons and silencers are 200

office888

imported post

choover wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:
dougwg wrote:

A stamp for a AOW is 5 bucks, auto weapons and silencers are 200

Read into AOWs a little more.

Creation of an AOW is $200 (aka, adding a VFG to a pistol).
Transfer is $5 (Pistol already has a legal VFG, and is changing possession).

I'd love a Serbu Super-Shorty for campus carry if it's ever legalized.

-Richard-

mikestilly

imported post

office888 wrote:
The Expert wrote:

I was wondering if they are considered a "pistol" or not.  They can't be classified as a "sub-machine gun" because they are not semi-auto.  Can't be classified as a rifle because it doesn't shoot rifle ammo.  Shotgun is pretty obvious which leaves one option.

They aren't MP5 "clones" per say.

They're made by a company that previously made Airsoft guns, and the overall quality is reflective of that. ATI, GSG5 series. The model you're talking about is the GSG5PK.

They'll shoot as well as a 10/22, but they don't "feel" as solid.

They're ALL chambered in .22 LR.

Legally, the GSG5PK is a pistol. If you put a foregrip on a pistol, it is no longer "designed to be operated with one hand", and it's now an AOW.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

-Richard-

Actually the original is made by H&K but there are many clones made by many different manufacturers, in a wide variety of cals 9, 10, 22, 40, 45, ... There are many that are configured for full auto and all you need to do is drop in a auto sear. The price for a good one is steep especially if it's a true H&K. What was that quote above about it not being semi auto? What the heck are you talking about? If it's registered as a pistol you can carry it just as if it were any other pistol. Same laws apply concealed or open carry.