• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new/need info

hippyman

imported post

Hi, I just joined, and I was hoping ya'll could help me out on something. I dont have a gun right now, but when I heard about Texas possibly getting more liberal open-carry laws, that got me alot more interested. Anyway, my dad got his CHL last year, and I'm looking to do the same, as soon as they hold the class again, maybe get into neighborhood watch even. One of the many things I'm curious about tho, is there any further licensing required to open-carry? I know I've seen people do this all over arizona, but their laws are alot different than ours. Also, what gun would ya'll recommend as a side-arm?

rodbender

imported post

No license requirement to OC in Texas. You just can't do it, at all. No kiddin'. As far as what to carry, well you are going to have to decide that for yourself. My suggestion is to find a gun range that will rent you handguns and try a few out. Try different models and calibers until you find the one you like. If one gun range doesn'thave what you like, go to a different one that has more models and calibers. Go to gun shops and see how some models feel in your hand.

I have my favorites, but that will not, in all likelihood, be yours so I will not even mention them. Don't get what someone else likes. Get the one that you will be happy with.That way you'll be happy with itmuch longer.

Hope this helps some.

Kelly Ash

imported post

In Texas, you can OC on property you own, or control (as in lease/rent), or in a private business with the written consent of the business owner, or while traveling between two properties you own, or control, that aren't adjoined and require travel on public roadways. I can't remember any other special provisions but I think there's a couple of other obscure ones.

helidude

imported post

howdy hippy,

i dont currently have a chl yet. As far as what to carry will depend on what works well for you. I have found that what i am most comfortable with shooting ( my favorites) i cant conceal as well. I love full size 1911s but I havent figured how I can hide them without bulky cold weather clothes. My glock 35 eats anything I put in it, out of the box no mods, easy to get a small pattern. Quality gun. Lone wolf conversion barrels work great as well with it. The cop i bought it from felt it was too large for duty use.

But I was surprised the smaller glocks, 26, 27 I can tuck away and even my relatives and friends didnt notice.

One friend of mine loves his ruger lcp. Even flew on the airlines with no problem. It was not on his person , but checked in baggage and declared according to the proper rules. Check with the airline before you show up, dont just toss it in with your undies.

Someone else I know prefers 38 snub revolvers.

Hope this is helpful for you and others.

rodbender

imported post

Kelly Ash wrote:
In Texas, you can OC on property you own, or control (as in lease/rent), or in a private business with the written consent of the business owner, or while traveling between two properties you own, or control, that aren't adjoined and require travel on public roadways. I can't remember any other special provisions but I think there's a couple of other obscure ones.
I know about OC on property that you own or is under your control. But can you site to law that says you can OC between 2 properties that you own while on a publicroadwayor that you can OC while in or on a private business with written permission?

Kelly Ash

imported post

Let me look it up for you. The only reason I know about this one is because me and a few friends had 135 acres out near Paris that was divided by acreek and the only way to access one side of the property was by public road. A game warden out there told us it was alright to carry open between properties as long as we were going directly to and from the other property.

Kelly Ash

imported post

I haven't found anything in writing about the "between 2 pieces of your own property", I just trusted the GWthat told us it was legal, but the carrying in a business is covered under Texas Penal Code 46.02(a)(1)"on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control..." The writing part of it isnt specificallystated in this statute and, apparently, isa CYA thing should something happen and the police need proof that you did have permission.

rodbender

imported post

The GW was just being a nice guy (rare). As far as "under your control" probably would refer to a lease or being trusted to use and/or watch over a place or being employed as the top dog at the time. IMHO

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Kelly Ash wrote:
I haven't found anything in writing about the "between 2 pieces of your own property", I just trusted the GWthat told us it was legal, but the carrying in a business is covered under Texas Penal Code 46.02(a)(1)"on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control..." The writing part of it isnt specificallystated in this statute and, apparently, isa CYA thing should something happen and the police need proof that you did have permission.
I strongly suspect that when you hit the public road, you are immediately illegal while OCing. Think that there is confusion here regarding the federal laws - from one place legal to another place legal - and still does not of itself qualify OC.
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59

This does NOT apply to within the state travel. Texas law will prevail in this case.

Yata hey