• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

holster question

edrolee

imported post

hi, i'm a 35yo guy in greenville and about to buy my first handgun, a .357 revolver (probably either a taurus 66 4" or a ruger blackhawk 4.62") and am looking for advice on a affordable holster or holster/rig to carry it in

thanks in advance for the help

ed

Dreamer

imported post

As long as you're not planning to buy that polished stainless 2.5" Taurus 66 at "Docs", then I fully support your purchase.:lol: (I've been eyeballing that wheelgun for a few months, and I'm trying to work out a trade+cash deal with them on it...)

As much as I don't like Fobus, they DO make a holster for K/L-frame 4" revolvers. I haven't used one, but they are always available on EBAY and GunBroker, along with a lot of "vintage" leather rigs. As much as I like my Serpa for my 1911, I don't know if I like the way a revolver looks in a polymer holster. I'm sure it works great, but with Wheelguns, I'm a bit old-fashioned--I prefer leather with a revolver...

But the Fobus does have an interesting look...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx?Keywords=k+frame+holster

Dreamer

imported post

hit that link I put in the last post. It will take you to Gunbroker, with a pre-made search on "K frame holster". There are some nice basketweave rigs--in brown and black...

cricketdad

imported post

Don't go for affordable. Get a good leather holster and more important a good gun belt. Agood belt will distribute the weight over your hips and make carrying a lot more comfortable.

I prefer Wild Bill's products. You can google him. He is at most gun shows. Business is in Raleigh.

elixin77

imported post

Don't go for affordable. Get a good leather holster and more important a good gun belt. Agood belt will distribute the weight over your hips and make carrying a lot more comfortable.

This is true. I have a nylon holster and a regular belt. While it *works*, its not as comfortable as I would like it. Granted, with my budget, it's all I can afford right now, but I would also highly recommend a good belt and holster.

And another Grenvilleitte - good to know I'm not the only one here!

2offroad

imported post

+10 for a good belt, I have a beltman belt, made here in NC. The difference between the Bianchi belt and the beltman belt is a lot, with the Bianchi I had to adjust every 45 min to an hour. I carry either a 4” Python or GP-100 on a beltman belt and a Bianchi 7 shadow 2, can carry all day with no problem.

http://www.thebeltman.net/