Thread: Handgun Purchase questions

Post imported post

I'm 19 and new to the black hills, recently got my CC permit and have been doing a little research on the internet. cant remember where i read it at but legal age to purchase a handgun from a FFL dealer is 21, legal age to purchase private party is 18. anybody prove/disprove this info for me?

EDIT: on the NRA website i have found the federal law to state no sale of a handgun to a person under 21 from a retail firearm dealer

and nothing under the SD state section on age restrictions on purchase just 18 to possess

Post imported post

That is correct.

Under an ambiguity of Federal Law, one needs to be 21 to purchase a Pistol from an FFL (Federal Firearm Licensee), however; one needs only to be 18 to own, have, or Carry a Pistol.

Souta Dakota allows both at 18,including Pistol Permit Licensing.

One may purchase a Pistol from a Private Citizen or at a Gun Show at only 18.

Post imported post

Sweet thanks Aadvark just the answer i was hoping for.

I've been Eye-ballin' a few different handguns. one of which is the Ruger LCP. anybody own/carry one and whats your take on the gun?

Post imported post

maddoc:

The choice of which type of Firearm you want to Carry is yours.

I trust you will make the right choice, it being, one which is right for you.

...I wish that I lived in South Dakota.

aadvark

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I don't own one (LCP) , but have been thinking of getting one as well. I wouldn't hesitate except that it doesn't lock open on empty, and it requires a tool for takedown.

Post imported post

I have a Ruger LCP. Bought it for a concealed carry option and I don't like it. Too small for my hands.

I also bought a Bersa Thunder 380 as another concealed carry option. Keep looking for and trying various smaller concealed carry options. The Bersa is better for my hand size but I am unhappy with the holsters I have for it.

No matter what I try and I am always trying some new gun, I go back to carrying a Glock 23. Sometimes I carry it openly and at other times concealed but I end up carrying the Glock most of the time.

It is not that difficult to get used to carrying a larger gun. I also like the idea of a real stopping round as opposed to a 380 or even a 9mm. To me, I want a .357, .40 or .45 cal.

My wife and daughter each carry a .38 J frame revolver. I don't let them carry semiautos in their handbags.