• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Was OCing when the Census rep. came just a bit ago

Aaron1124

imported post

I was JUST about to get ready to go across the street to Safeway, and right as I approached the door, I heard a knock. I looked out the peephole, and I figured it was the census rep, seeing how I hadn't yet mailed out my form. I open the door and greeted him, and close the door behind me. He introduced himself as "David from the census bureau." and asked if he could have a few minutes to ask some of the questions. I told him "No problem!". He then looked down at my firearm and said "oh, are you a police officer?" I said "Nope. Just a citizen." He then asked if we could step inside to do the information. I told him that I'm more comfortable conducting it right there, but for some reason, he seemed like that had upset him. (My wife and daughter was inside, and they were both in their pajamas, and surely would have been rude for me invite him in). He then started conducting questions, and he kept nervously looking down at my firearm throughout the entire 5 or so minutes he was there.

He just seemed a bit fishy to me. Maybe he was just nervous - I don't know. He left in a bit of a hurry and told me to have a great afternoon as he was walking quickly down the stairs.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

I'm a census worker too, and I am surprised I have not looked down the barrel of anything yet.

Something I noticed, some of the people I go to, act as if I am the guy that collects their taxes or whatever and talk to me like crap.

But hey, I don't take it personal, they refuse, I flat out just tell them I'll let someone else deal with them and go on to the next house.

Aaron1124

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
I'm a census worker too, and I am surprised I have not looked down the barrel of anything yet.

Something I noticed, some of the people I go to, act as if I am the guy that collects their taxes or whatever and talk to me like crap.

But hey, I don't take it personal, they refuse, I flat out just tell them I'll let someone else deal with them and go on to the next house.
Yeah, I know what you mean. A lot of people think census workers are out collecting their taxes, or are representing a collection agency or something.

deanf

imported post

I gave the constitutionally required info on the form: 01.

As in: zero-one people live at this address.

Then the man came to the door, claiming that the form had been lost. Yeah right. I told him that 01 people live here, and that I'd rather not answer anything else. Very cordial. He seemed dejected, but left.

About a week ago, I arrived home at the same time that a house guest arrived. I went inside and heard talking in the driveway. I look out through the garage and see the same enumerator interrogating my guest about ME! He just appeared like he had been hiding in the shrubbery or something. That he would interrogate one of my guests angered me.:X

I raised my voice to him and told him I'd already answered his questions and that he was not going to get any more info from me or my guest.:cuss:

"But I need a respondent!" he simpered.

We went inside and he left. I fully expect him to interrogate my neighbors about me. That's how they operate.

Hammer

imported post

Poosharker wrote:

So maybe you can answer this for me:
I got the 2nd hand info that census workers are being hired a week, laid off a week. The purpose of this is so the workers can be counted as employed again and again.
Apparently the world's best gun salesman thinks his popularity is waning.
So, is it true census workers are being hired and laid off from week to week or any other interval?

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

To hammer. No? At least not my crew. I am working several hours everyday, mostly in the evenings. Almost everyday for the last month and a half or so. We're actually running out of work, my job might end soon... and I get paid so well....

And yes deanf, if someone doesn't want to give me ANY info, I'll just go to a neighbor. Most of the time, I tell them, the most important thing is the number of people, you can refuse all the other stuff you want but just give me that, and I will turn it in.

Oh, and one more thing, in my experience and some other co-workers; it's always the intelligent people that invite me inside ;). In fact, I've been invited inside and felt like I was in history class, some of these people were schooling the crap out of me! And not in a bad way either. I was amazed by the intelligence in some of these people I go to, I've had several occasions where we were having awesome fun, intelligent conversations but alas, I must leave and go to the next house...

sirpuma

imported post

I filled out my census form, only with the constitutionally required number of persons living here, no more. I have a big no trespassing sign. If a census worker comes here, I will quietly and politely lead them back to my no trespassing sign, tell them they are to leave my property immediately. I won't answer any questions other than the number of persons living here. And none of my neighbors know us, so asking them won't help. The government already knows who all lives here, they just need to do their research. :p

Aaron1124

imported post

All the government needs to do is check with the department of licensing, and it will list everyone who has that address listed. It's not possible to know who is temporarily staying with you if they aren't listed as living with you, or don't have utilities subscribed to your address.

joeroket

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
All the government needs to do is check with the department of licensing, and it will list everyone who has that address listed. It's not possible to know who is temporarily staying with you if they aren't listed as living with you, or don't have utilities subscribed to your address.

DOL has no info on people who do not have a DL or id card. This would give extremely poor counts.

I had a census guy come to my house two nights in a row looking for my mom, she lives in a mother-in-law house downstairs, he very decent and understanding that I would only say that there was one female who lived there. He took his form with that info and was done.

I do not understand why some people think they need to fill out every freaking box and question number on the damned form.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

joeroket wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:

DOL has no info on people who do not have a DL or id card. This would give extremely poor counts.

I had a census guy come to my house two nights in a row looking for my mom, she lives in a mother-in-law house downstairs, he very decent and understanding that I would only say that there was one female who lived there. He took his form with that info and was done.

I do not understand why some people think they need to fill out every freaking box and question number on the damned form.

The only line I did not fill out is the question about race on the form. The rest, including name and how many people lived at the location have been asked since 1790, my family 'Storrs' along with the Henry's (Patrick), the Revere's (Paul) all listed their names and at times occupation.

joeroket

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:

The only line I did not fill out is the question about race on the form.  The rest, including name and how many people lived at the location have been asked since 1790, my family 'Storrs' along with the Henry's (Patrick), the Revere's (Paul) all listed their names and at times occupation.

I agree with you as i did the same on the form. My comment was geared towards the census workers that are persistent when someone tells them they will only answer how many people live at the location.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

sirpuma wrote:
I filled out my census form, only with the constitutionally required number of persons living here, no more. I have a big no trespassing sign. If a census worker comes here, I will quietly and politely lead them back to my no trespassing sign, tell them they are to leave my property immediately. I won't answer any questions other than the number of persons living here. And none of my neighbors know us, so asking them won't help. The government already knows who all lives here, they just need to do their research. :p

Unless you have a gate your driveway and sidewalk to your door are an implied invitation, regaurdless of signage.Once you tell them to leave and not come back they then would be trespassing if they did come back.

State vs. Ross brings this up for a cite. There are more but my google fu is never strong.

oneeyeross

imported post

Isn't it odd how many forms are being "lost"....on my street alone there were 6 homes where the form was "lost."

I know the person who came to my house doesn't know what really happened, but like I told her, it sure makes the tin-foil hat crowd a bit nervous when all of this goes on....I had census workers at my house over this last year a grand total of five (5) times....four last year to "get the address" and once this year because the "form was lost."

Now, I am NOT a conspiracy type of guy. I love my country, and served her honorably for a long time....but it does make you wonder what is REALLY going on, don't it?

(edited to add, Yes, I was also OC when the lady showed up).

Metalhead47

imported post

oneeyeross wrote:
Isn't it odd how many forms are being "lost"....on my street alone there were 6 homes where the form was "lost."

I know the person who came to my house doesn't know what really happened, but like I told her, it sure makes the tin-foil hat crowd a bit nervous when all of this goes on....I had census workers at my house over this last year a grand total of five (5) times....four last year to "get the address" and once this year because the "form was lost."

Now, I am NOT a conspiracy type of guy. I love my country, and served her honorably for a long time....but it does make you wonder what is REALLY going on, don't it?

(edited to add, Yes, I was also OC when the lady showed up).
Doesn't sound conspiratorial if you ask me, just good ol' fashioned American government incompetence. That or scammers look for targets.

joeroket

imported post

oneeyeross wrote:

I called the census office and was told that there were about 30% that were "lost". The guy at the door gave me the same figure. How come they don't lose record of 30% of my income so I can take advantage of all the public assistance I help pay for? :cuss:

Curmudgeon

imported post

jayspapa wrote:
My my.... all you people gonna get fined $1000.00's because you didn't answer all the questions. :what:

:lol:I wonder when those fines are gonna be levied against all of us. ;)

Oddly enough, they sent me a fine, but I "lost" it. :lol:

j/k :uhoh:

gsx1138

imported post

I never received a form in the mail. The census person showed up while I was gone and my wife answered all the questions. I hadn't briefed her on what I thought was acceptable information.

My family is mixed "race" but I hate any question that has to do with race. My daughters school has sent several form requesting that I tell them what "race" she is. I consistently refuse.

My daughter knows that she's (in her words), "Part Japanese, part Viking, and all American."

oneeyeross

imported post

The "race" issue was kind of funny at my house. One ethnic Japanese, one Japanese/Okinawan, one Japanese/Portagee, one Guamanian/haoli and one white....

The lady just looked at me funny. Don't know if it was because of the Cz vz 82, the answers, the dogs (three) or what...

But then, she started asking me about my neighbor. Don't know nothin' about my neighbor, don't want to know nothin' about my neighbor....(not really true, but hard to prove otherwise).