• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The effect of deterrents of psychopaths with firearms?

Aaron1124

imported post

Are there any studies or reports that show if a known armed house, or a house with an alarm system will actually deter psychopaths? Deterring a burglar is one thing, but what percentage of break ins involve someone completely out of their mind, with no regard for any life?

Dreamer

imported post

A perfect example of this principle is to look at the state government and police in MD.

Obviously, the armed citizens in VA have driven the majority of the psychopaths out of that fine, free state, and they have migrated to MD and set up residence in Annapolis, Pikesville, and PG County, where it's nearly impossible for law-abiding citizens to protect themselves.

Wolves prefer flocks that don't have "sheepdogs"...

protector84

imported post

I haven't seen studies but I do know something that works. If a homicidal maniac is not temporarily deterred by the display of my gun, he will be permenately deterred by the use of my gun.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There was that one study done back in '89 that found that 60% of convicted felons admitted that they avoided targeting persons they knew were armed. That still leaves the other 40% that would still target an armed person. I suspect that part of this group would either be very stupid or fall in the psychopath category.

I think situational awareness would probably be our most important additive to OC of our sidearms. And our preparedness to react quickly.

Being armed oursleves has never been a 100% gaurantee thatwe will not become a injured/fatal victem of crime. It only provides us with a fighting chance to survive.

Aaron1124

imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
Statkowski wrote:
About the only thing to deter someone completely out of their mind with no regard for any life would be a well-placed projectile measuring somewhere between 9mm and .50-cal. in diameter.

+1

My late wife's ex was a former U.S. Marshal. He had connections with the Secret Service and he told me what they told him, "If a determined individual wants to get to the President, he will."

A mentally unbalanced person who is obsessed with a particular goal is extremely hard to stop and many people like that also possess either an intellect or an animal cunning that makes them even more dangerous.
Very true. Makes me think of the individual from "Law Abiding Citizen"

frommycolddeadhands

imported post

There is a pretty good novel out there called "The Evil That Men Do" that shares some stories of an FBI profiler. It's a good book if you want some insights into the mind of sociopaths, serial killers, serial rapists, and other such scumbags.

To answer your question, really it depends on the intelligence level of the sociopath and how fargone they are. A sociopath who is out on a killing spree is not going to be deterred by surveilance cameras, well lit areas, alarm systems, or even armed security guards, so I doubt the sight of an armed citizen is going to do much to stop and make them think.

On the other end of the spectrum, there is the intelligent sociopath who still has a good handle on reality but simply has no conscience. He will kill, rob, rape, and sleep like a baby at night, but the actually plans his actions. That guy might be deterred momentarily until the armed citizen is gone.

In either case, there are some wicked people out there, and you just never know for sure.

eye95

imported post

Just because my gun won't stop the meteor that God aimed at my house does not mean I won't shoot the snake on my porch.

You do what you can, then deal as best as possible.