• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry for "foriegners" in Louisiana (from another state)

helidude

imported post

I have travelled and worked in Louisiana for over 10 years and just recently found that it is leagal for open carry. I cant ever recall seeing anyone open carry to this day that wasnt obviously law enforcement.

I am new to this forum and from Texas so I am unfamilliar with the open carry laws here and how they vary from parish to parish. Do you have to be a LA resident to carry? Difference between handguns and long guns? Ages?

I want to use my second amendment rights but I do not want to be a martyr nor do I have billionaire friends to pay attorneys to prove my innocence or bail me out because I got it wrong.

i would be interested in information that could be helpful to those of us that are "foriegners"

Thank You:)

AmosMoses

imported post

helidude:

Check this page out:

hxxp://www.laopencarry.org/documents-citing-the-legality-of-open-carry-in-louisiana-t110.html

Slidell Jim

imported post

helidude wrote:
I have travelled and worked in Louisiana for over 10 years and just recently found that it is leagal for open carry. I cant ever recall seeing anyone open carry to this day that wasnt obviously law enforcement.

I am new to this forum and from Texas so I am unfamilliar with the open carry laws here and how they vary from parish to parish. Do you have to be a LA resident to carry? Difference between handguns and long guns? Ages?

I want to use my second amendment rights but I do not want to be a martyr nor do I have billionaire friends to pay attorneys to prove my innocence or bail me out because I got it wrong.

i would be interested in information that could be helpful to those of us that are "foriegners"

Thank You:)
This maybe totally surprising, but our laws are fairly relaxed. The La Constitution Article 1 Section 11 states: "The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be abridged, but this provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to prohibit the carrying of weapons concealed on the person." Some folks think that all questions stop at that sentence!

And although the words "open" & "carry" do not appear together in any Louisiana gun laws that I have read, I will go into some details to answer you questions.

1. There are very little variance from parish to parish, thanks to our state preemption law. RS40:1796 (link is below)

2. have to be a Resident? No, you don't have to be a resident to OC, no permit is required, no ID card is required, and LA is not a "stop & ID" State; RS14:95 does mention "enemy alien", but I think this meant a foreigner to the U.S., not our cousins in the next state over.

3. Handgun vs long gun? I'm not totally sure on this one. I maybe wrong, but I don't think it matters on OC. The definition of "handgun" is in the CC part of the laws in RS40:1379.

4. Quote straight from RS14:95.8.
Illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile: It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen years knowingly to possess any handgun on his person.

Lastly, I'll give you links to the State Legislature site on weapons laws, concealed gun laws, and State preemption. These 3 links are also available thru the link Amos put in the first reply. To get to the search page go here http://www.legis.state.la.us/
then look on the left side for the link to "Louisiana laws"
you will need to know the article and section number you are looking for.

Basic weapons laws: covers all the gun free zones such as schools, bar rooms, courthouses, parades, ect. It also addresses certain felons, juveniles, and expanded definitions of "dangerous weapons" like dynamite fishing. http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78739

Concealed Carry laws: Possession of a CC permit DOES NOT take away your right to OC!, If you have an CCW, LTCF, CHP, issued from out-of-state... you are bound to the laws of the state that you are in at the time, if you are CCing. So do the research.http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=97451

State preemption of Parish & Municipal codes after 1985: http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=97860 This is so that your local city can not ban guns on Main St. on Tuesdays & Thursdays; or (via St. Helena Parish) if 3 or more individuals are engaged in swimming activities. The La Open Carry Awareness League (L.O.C.A.L. ) laopencarry.org has identified some old laws on the books like this and are actively petitioning (with some success stories) to get the laws repealed.
I would suggest researching those cities you regularly visit or ask the LOCAL about them specifically.

KBCraig

imported post

Slidell Jim wrote:
2. have to be a Resident? No, you don't have to be a resident to OC, no permit is required, no ID card is required, and LA is not a "stop & ID" State; RS14:95 does mention "enemy alien", but I think this meant a foreigner to the U.S., not our cousins in the next state over.
Not just someone who is foreign to the U.S., but a national of a country with which we are at war.

And since we haven't been "at war" since August 16, 1945, you're good no matter what your passport says. ;)

imported post

Poor Jim, like most Amerikans he just can't accept the simplicity of article 1 sec 11.
There's GOT to be more to it than how it reads.
That's TOO simple !!!
Let's complicate it. After all, everything in life must be described/explained with at LEAST a thousand words, minimum.

aadvark

imported post

Long Guns are allowed to be Openly Carried in Louisiana, so as long as:

1. You are not a Felon or Enemy Alien,

2. You are not at an Establishment that sells Alcohol for Consumption on-premises, and,

3. You are not within a 1000' of a School.

***There are Hunting Laws that pertain to Long Guns, however; these only apply to Carry on Wildlife Lands, and Hunting in general, etc.***