• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OPEN CARRY IN SPACE

Tomahawk

imported post

A bullet has a velocity of say, 800 fps. A spacecraft in low-earth orbit has a velocity of about 25000 fps. So a bullet fired from a spacecraft will simply enter a different orbit from the vehicle it is fired from. If you fire it against your own velocity, the bullet will likely be in an orbit with a lowest point inside the atmosphere, in which case it will re-enter and melt. Whatever's left will hit the ground.

Nothing in space travels in a straight line; everything travels in curved paths. This is because there is always a gravity source nearby pulling on it. A bullet fired from the space shuttle would be in orbit about the earth. If it was fired from Voyager 2, it would be in orbit about the sun, and since Voyager 2 is leaving the solar system, it would be influenced by other stars and by the galactic center.

But since there's no drag, the bullet will keep its kinetic energy essentially forever, unless it runs into something like earth's atmosphere or scores an incredibly lucky hit on another smaller body like a rock or another spacecraft.

And yes, the Soyuz vehicle has a survival shotgun aboard in case they land in the boonies somewhere, which has happened at least twice. The first time the crew spent the night out there until the rescue helicopter was able to find them.

virginiatuck

imported post

A firearm in space... hmm. Nevermind a license to carry... you need a license to be there.

Disclaimer: I am not a physicist and I am not offering physical advice. Do not attempt anything without consulting a physicist first.

The topic of gunfire in outer space has been discussed ad infinitum. From what I've read, I think these ideas make the most sense:

- There's no air. Muzzle velocity would be higher. How much higher? I don't know, ask a physicist.

- It's cold. The materials we use to make firearms would be extremely brittle. If the firearm works at all, it would probably be one-use-only.

- Obviously a hand-held Phaser would be the ideal personal defense weapon in space for most circumstances. That is, unless your adversary is protected by a dampening field. Then you'd want the TR-116 with a micro-transporter; you can transport a slug at full velocity to point-blank range of remote targets.

- Outer space is regulated by international treaties and laws. There are people trying hard to ban all weapons from space; just as hard as they try for earth. Oddly enough, it's the same people... Kucinich was mentioned in the prior link.

Here's another:
Challenges Loom as Obama Seeks Space Weapons Ban

Should we be fighting outer-space or moon gun bans now, before it's too late? :uhoh:

Eh, I'm not planning to move to the moon anyway...

mobeewan

imported post

And since there is no air in space and it is a total vacuum there would be no cartridge ignition outside of your space ship or station unless the cartridge was sealed tight enough to keep any air inside from escaping, the propellant created its own oxygenor the weapon was built to withstand the vacuum and contained any air trapped in it and the cartridges. Forget about the caseless rounds as was supposed to be fired in the rifles in "Aliens".

virginiatuck

imported post

mobeewan wrote:
And since there is no air in space and it is a total vacuum there would be no cartridge ignition outside of your space ship or station unless the cartridge was sealed tight enough to keep any air inside from escaping, the propellant created its own oxygenor the weapon was built to withstand the vacuum and contained any air trapped in it and the cartridges. Forget about the caseless rounds as was supposed to be fired in the rifles in "Aliens".
I'm pretty sure that the primers and the powder contain oxidizers.

Also, space is not a total vacuum... they say it's close, but there are actually things out there in a near-vacuum.

You have caused me to think about the air inside the round, though. Upon being exposed to outer-space, would a bullet come apart from the casing because of the decrease of air pressure around it? If there were just the slightest leak...

I don't know what kind of force the bullet would have, but the little air that is inside the round would expand.

Open Carry Stories from the Moon:
OC'd Moonday in the Apollo crater. No issues; Had a nice conversation with an OSPK (outer-space peace keeper) about the Lunar RKBA treaty of 2011.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
Yes they do, I used to use what is called a "Bang Stick" which contained a .41 Mag pistol round on the end of a steel rod. it is made to be able to injure or kill a shark while underwater.
it is a single-shot device that requires you to unscrew the end of the unit to replace the ammuntion. A sharp jab of the stick into the side of the shark would drive a firing pin into the primer and fire the round while in contact with the toothy critter that is hassling you. they are quite effective. But the pressure waves are also quite painful to the user, the deeper you are, the more it hurts.

As per entrapped air expanding in the cartridge in space, I am quite sure it would leak out slowly enough to not cause any expansionproblems.
I would not want to shoot any firearm in space unless I am firmly plantedagainst a solid object that would keep me from tumbling backwards from the recoil of the shot.
Something as simple as using a fire extinguisher in a no-gravity situation could take you for a very unpleasant ride withno predictable end in sight.

Tomahawk

imported post

I don't think the air pressure inside a cartridge is enought to push the bullet out when exposed to vacuum. The difference in pressure between the air inside and the vacuum outside is only 1 atmosphere.

By comparison, about 10 years ago I went diving on a shipwreck which was at a depth of about 100 feet, which is about 4 atmospheres of pressure. While down there I found some 30-06 cartridges that had gone down with the ship and had been down there for over 70 years. I took them home with me, and several days later my dad and I decided to unseat the projectiles and drain out any propellant. The bullets popped off and water under the pressure of 4 atmospheres blasted out.

The ambient pressure was 1 atmosphere, so there was a difference of 3 atmospheres between the inside and outside of the cartridge, and yet the bullet stayed seated until we pryed it out.

PS. The propellant grains burned just fine after we let them dry for a day or two.

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
virginiatuck wrote:
Yes they do, I used to use what is called a "Bang Stick" which contained a .41 Mag pistol round on the end of a steel rod. it is made to be able to injure or kill a shark while underwater.
it is a single-shot device that requires you to unscrew the end of the unit to replace the ammuntion. A sharp jab of the stick into the side of the shark would drive a firing pin into the primer and fire the round while in contact with the toothy critter that is hassling you. they are quite effective. But the pressure waves are also quite painful to the user, the deeper you are, the more it hurts.

As per entrapped air expanding in the cartridge in space, I am quite sure it would leak out slowly enough to not cause any expansionproblems.
I would not want to shoot any firearm in space unless I am firmly plantedagainst a solid object that would keep me from tumbling backwards from the recoil of the shot.
Something as simple as using a fire extinguisher in a no-gravity situation could take you for a very unpleasant ride withno predictable end in sight.
isnt that illegal to make your own gun

Tomahawk

imported post

erichonda30 wrote:
Nutczak wrote:
virginiatuck wrote:

Penalty flag! Failure to provide citation!

penalty_flag_3.jpg

Actually, you might be surprised at what's not illegal! :)

virginiatuck

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
erichonda30 wrote:
Nutczak wrote:
virginiatuck wrote:

penalty_flag_3.jpg

There was no foul on the play. The post was phrased as a question, albeit minus the punctuation. Replay 1st down.

eye95

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
erichonda30 wrote:
Nutczak wrote:
virginiatuck wrote:

penalty_flag_3.jpg

There was no foul on the play. The post was phrased as a question, albeit minus the punctuation. Replay 1st down.
Whistle blows before the next play. Flag rethrown. The way the question was phrased assumes a positive answer. Citation needed. :)

Had the question been phrased "Is it illegal to make you own gun?" no answer would have been assumed.