• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OPEN CARRY IN SPACE

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Funny you should ask that, as one of favorite message forums is focused on astronomy and various space sciences.

No long ago, I was suspended for a week for inserting a small reference to open carry in my signature block.

Put simply, you would think scientists would be smarter than this, but they're not. They're experts in their respective fields of expertise, but I'm thinking their brilliance in one area tends to be offset by lackluster abilities in other areas. They love focusing in on one little area for hours, even years at a time, and they simply don't want most other areas to bother them. Nearly all of them believe the best way to get rid of gun crime is to get rid of the guns. "It's cause and effect, simple logic, and very straightforward," and I think a lot of this naievity is what's fueling drive to rid the Earth of guns. I don't think hardly any of them have the slightest clue as to how difficult it is to stop the production and distribution of weapons, if not legally, then illegally.

Once all guns, knives, numchukas, throwing darts, swords, cars, airplanes, arrowhead flints and spear-bound saplings, fists, writs, elbows, heels, and feet have been removed from our planet, I'll gladly lay down my firearm!

Until then, no way, as any of the above is capable of killing me in just a few seconds. I carry to defend myself agains such weapons in the hands of those who would, and have used them, time and time again since the dawn of man.

But open carry in space? The psych screening program is fairly strict. I've heard that more than one rich person applied as a tourist but didn't pass NASA's muster for entrance aboard the ISS.

No! I am NOT saying that those of us who open carry would be denied entry! I was certified to and did work with nukes for several years, so I know I'd pass the tests with flying colors. I'm merely saying you'd have exceedinly little to worry about with respect to the psychological stability of the others.

The obvious problem, of course, is that guns in space are about 10x more hazardous than a gun on an airplane at high altitude. One shot's probably not going to kill you, but a friend of mine did take a single 5.56 mm round to the B-52 he was flying over Guam in the 1980s, and that single shot took out both primary and secondary hydraulic systems.

The entire crew came very close to dying as a result.

So, guns in space? Not a very good idea. Loaded guns, hammers cocked, while having wild, passionate sex? Also not a very good idea.

Superlite27

imported post

The obvious problem, of course, is that guns in space are about 10x more hazardous than a gun on an airplane at high altitude. One shot's probably not going to kill you, but a friend of mine did take a single 5.56 mm round to the B-52 he was flying over Guam in the 1980s, and that single shot took out both primary and secondary hydraulic systems.

I would think equipment damage would be the least of your worries in space.

What about vacuum?

A hole in an airplane fuselage is bad, but not deadly. The little baggies fall from the ceiling, and the plane descends.

What about a hole in a space station wall?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

But didn't/don't the Ruskies have a shotgun up there?

"Course Newton's First Law is going to come into play big time - up there you most likely will see both shooter and shootee go tumbling end over end.:what:

stay safe.

Broondog

imported post

well, space is an open carry environment. really, it is!

Captains Kirk and Picard OC'd

Han Solo OC'd

even Buck Rogers OC'd.

for the life of me i cannot, off the top of my head, think of any sci-fi movie/tv show where they didn't OC as a matter of course.

just sayin'. :D

M

McX

imported post

jeez guys, there are no need for guns in space, cause in space no one can hear you scream (aliens).:shock:

Overtaxed

imported post

skidmark wrote:
But didn't/don't the Ruskies have a shotgun up there?

"Course Newton's First Law is going to come into play big time - up there you most likely will see both shooter and shootee go tumbling end over end.:what:

stay safe.

The Soviets were paranoid about the idea of their cosmonauts and/or space hardware being grabbed up by US recovery teams, and so insisted on land-only re-entries.

Knowing that these intrepid men and women could be stuck waiting outside of their capsule for a while, in some very remote parts of the country, they were given shotguns for self-defense against wolves, etc.

It'll be interesting to see if gun rights will follow us out to the nearly inevitable space colonies that will spring up. The only sort of gun control I'd support out there is restricting anyone with a firearm (including military and LEO) to ammunition that cannot poke through the skin of a pressurized structure.

I suppose private colonies will set their own rules, each one perhaps crafting their own laws and mores.

In the words of the immortal Tom Rath,

"It will be interesting to see what happens."

Overtaxed

imported post

McX wrote:
jeez guys, there are no need for guns in space, cause in space no one can hear you scream (aliens).:shock:

That tagline was for the first Alien. And they did have weapons (Capt. Dallas said, "break out the weapons" when the Nostromo crew kitted out to explore the world they stumbled upon), but found out quickly that they couldn't use them. (Parker noted how a tiny surgical nick in the 'facehugger' caused it to emit acid powerful enough to eat through several layers of metal decking and quipped, "It has a wonderful defense mechanism - you don't dare kill it)

Aliens, of course, had some truly awesome firepower and great action. But since they were fighting the creatures in a planetary colony, not a relatively fragile pressurized star-faring vessel, they had much freer reign (until they realized how close they were to the colony's fusion reactor... gulp...)

B

Bikenut

imported post

The picture above causes me to suspect that in an environment where projectiles could puncture the outer wall between air and vacuum swords would make a comeback for self defense weapons.

Dreamer

imported post

I know it's not "technically" and "outer space" gun, but my all-time favorite sci-fi gun is Detective Rick Deckard's gun in Blade Runner, the Plager Katsumate Series-D blaster.

Bonus points for anyone who can identify the cartridge the functioning movie prop for this famous futuristic "revolver" was chambered in... (this is a trick question--the "bolt" part on top uses one caliber, and the bottom, "revolver" part uses a different caliber...)

http://karltate.wordpress.com/2006/08/31/

Sig229

imported post

Did you know, that if you fired a bullet in space it would not stop unless it hit something very large and solid or entered a planet that has an atmosphere much like ours. Otherwise it would travel at the same speed it left the barrel forever and ever and ever.

So, if you plan to go target shooting in space, you better have one big backdrop!

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sig229 wrote:
Did you know, that if you fired a bullet in space it would not stop unless it hit something very large and solid or entered a planet that has an atmosphere much like ours. Otherwise it would travel at the same speed it left the barrel forever and ever and ever.
Unlikely. Space is not a total vacuum. Eventually, a collision with debris becomes inevitable.

Sig229

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Sig229 wrote:
Unlikely. Space is not a total vacuum. Eventually, a collision with debris becomes inevitable.

As I said: "unless it hit something very large".
If it hit a small object, it would be deflected and change direction and speed, but still would travel through space.

10A

imported post

As I said: "unless it hit something very large".
If it hit a small object, it would be deflected and change direction and speed, but still would travel through space.

It still wouldn't get very far, since the Earth's escape velocity is about 23,000 fps from orbit, depending on the altitude. Even if that's overcome, there's the Sun's escape velocity of about 137,000 fps from where Earth is. So most likely if you shot a gun in space the bullet would go into orbit and eventually burn up in the atmosphere, if it didn't hit anything else.