• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Girl abducted in busy parking lot, in broad daylight

TFred

imported post

Ironically, less than 10 minutes before this video was recorded, I had just finished placing an order for a new M&P 9c. Over the past few weeks I had decided that a) 9mm ammo is much cheaper to practice with, and until today, a distant b) my 5-shot 642 may not be enough, should the need ever arise.

After watching this video, I will feel much more comfortable with a 12+1 shot 9mm.

Keep your eye out for a dark green van with Rhode Island tag number 984610.

http://fredericksburg.com/News/Web/2010/052010/0529abduction/

The girl did seem to be aware of her situation, you can see that as she is approached, she changes direction in an attempt to elude her abductors. She is simply overwhelmed at 5 against 1.

It's a tough call, what do you do if you are there and see this going down?

TFred

bohdi

imported post

Information obtained by Jacksonville authorities indicated that the family had stopped in Stafford County on the way to a move in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and apparently the teen did not want to move and had to be forced back into the van by family members in order to continue the trip.

t33j

imported post

TFred wrote:
I'd be inclined to do nothing (except call the cops and maybe follow?)... too many potential legal problems with defending someone I don't know.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

t33j wrote:
TFred wrote:
I'd be inclined to do nothing (except call the cops and maybe follow?)... too many potential legal problems with defending someone I don't know.
I agree as this case dramatically shows, you don't know the full issue. Be a good witness and maybe follow the van, if you can do so safely while talking to the police.

bealaskan

imported post

If i was there, carrying or not, i would have done something. Watching this video I was struck with a great deal of anger, at the people just watching, I find it absolutely obscene, that the woman with the white bag did nothing, except to get out of the way of the abductors. I watched the video closely and didn't see one person with a cell phone, calling the police.

This isn't a question of whether a 5-shot revolver is enough. It is a question of character and a duty to help, in whatever way you can.

Christopher

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The number of folks who whipped out their cell phones to call 911 and to take pictures is just overwhelming - NOT!

One female walked around the incident with barely a turn of her head to observe what was happening. After the van drove off several folks walked to a point closer to where things had happened - as if they had been a bit farther away but now wanted to get close to the scene - and all they did was talk to each other.

If you ever thought of depending on others to at least call the cops and report the crime being committed against you, here is just one more example of how much that is just not going to happen.

This is a classic case of how badly things could have gone if someone had jumped the gun (no pun intended) and intervened without knowing what was in fact taking place. That's not to say this was not the time & place to yell "Do you need help?" or "I'm calling the police" - at that point one of the family members might have responded by telling you what was going on, and the matter could have been resolved much sooner. (No, Iwill not just stop being concerned, but a few words exchanged might make me believe it was not in fact a kidnapping in progress. And yes, I'd still call the cops no matter if they all told me the same story.)

So - how long does it take to drive from Fredericksburg, Va to Jacksonville, Fl with a reluctant teenage girl who needs to be fed and given bathroom breaks? Seems strange that the kid did not try to bolt again during the rest of the trip.

stay safe.

doug23838

imported post

bealaskan wrote:
If i was there, carrying or not, i would have done something. Watching this video I was struck with a great deal of anger, at the people just watching, I find it absolutely obscene, that the woman with the white bag did nothing, except to get out of the way of the abductors. I watched the video closely and didn't see one person with a cell phone, calling the police.

This isn't a question of whether a 5-shot revolver is enough. It is a question of character and a duty to help, in whatever way you can.

Christopher

I agree. People have to act.

The news reports it wasn't an "abduction" after all.

http://www.wric.com/Global/story.asp?S=12566681

I just love the story: "After witnesses watched.... "

To which I add: and did NOTHING.

Of course, we're all advised to "take down information and give it to police."

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It takes about 8 hours. My wife and I left Fredericksburg at 5pm and were in Jacksonville between midnight and 2AM. This was with 3 gas in a full size V-8 pickup, potty, and meal stops.

This is a tough one to say given the lack of details. What was the victim screaming? What were the aggressors saying? Maybe the statements and conversations made it clear to those in the immediate vicinity that it was a child not wanting to move to a new home. How do you handle a situation where the girl is saying, "Mom, I don't want to move to Florida. I'm not getting in the car."

Finding the van within 13 hours later seems like a success especially since it was what 1000 miles from the supposed crime scene. But it does underscore the point that when seconds matter, police are minutes away.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

It's hard to say what I'd have done. I guess a lot would depend on if I was in one of my "Too damn many people in my world" moods. They get more frequent as time passes.

Because of the age of the girl, I suppose I'd have stopped it until I found out what was going on.

To be honest, when I looked at the video my first idea was that she had jumped bail and was just going back to jail.

Had it been an adult male, I'd have stuck to minding my own business. Not a very macho answer...but at least truthful.:?

MK

imported post

I would have intervened and did so in another case of domestic violence that put myself in jeopardy once before. I would still be somewhat cautious knowing that I could suffer an armed attack by any involved.

I don't know what the laws are in Virginia but in Missouri you are justified in using self defense if you reasonably believe such force to be necessary to defend himself or herself or a third person from what he or she reasonably believes to be the use or imminent use of unlawful force by such other person.

From the looks of the video, I think a citizen witnessing what is occuring is justified in using force to intervene even though it could end up being a big mistake. Public kidnappings that look exactly like this are becoming a common sight now that we are in the information age. It would be perfectly reasonable to react to this situation just the same. I would hope that should my wife, 18yr old daughter or my 3 year old daughter be in the same situation, that others would use whatever force is necessary to help them out.

I think at least partial responsibility also rests with the group of people who violently captured this girl and basically abducted her in that van. There are better ways to go about it and this is a situation that might have been much better served by all parties to have the police involved with instead of using such extreme measures as they chose to do.

PT111

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
It takes about 8 hours. My wife and I left Fredericksburg at 5pm and were in Jacksonville between midnight and 2AM. This was with 3 gas in a full size V-8 pickup, potty, and meal stops.

This is a tough one to say given the lack of details. What was the victim screaming? What were the aggressors saying? Maybe the statements and conversations made it clear to those in the immediate vicinity that it was a child not wanting to move to a new home. How do you handle a situation where the girl is saying, "Mom, I don't want to move to Florida. I'm not getting in the car."

Finding the van within 13 hours later seems like a success especially since it was what 1000 miles from the supposed crime scene. But it does underscore the point that when seconds matter, police are minutes away.
Ther wasn't any sound on the video so we don't know what was being said. It sould have been just as you stated that the arguing made it appear as a family deal so I am not as quick to jump on the bystanders as some. The advice about being sure of what you are jumping into is always good as when I took my CWP class the instructor related a local incident that happened not long before the class. It was similar where it appeared that a man was about to be dragged from a mini-van and killed with his family watching. We were asked to say what we would do and if we would get involved. It turned out that it involved off-duty LEO and drunks. If and outsider had tried to get involved it very well could have ended bad. Luckily the police showed up in time and got things straightened out but always know what you are getting into.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I think most here would have reported and observed. Some would have detained.

Do not know how I might have responded as there is too little information lacking sound and the ability to interact with participants.

Excellent example of why hasty decisions or preceding w/o knowing exactly what is happening can be perilous.

I can understand the young lady not wanting to move to Florida and desiring to stay in Virginia though. I share that thought. :D

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

PT111 wrote:
rlh2005 wrote:
Luckily the police showed up in time and got things straightened out but always know what you are getting into.
In time?

Wow, when seconds count, the police make contact 13 hours later.

Not knocking LE, just the reference however slight, that they were there when needed.

Yata hey

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
I think most here would have reported and observed. Some would have detained.

Do not know how I might have responded as there is too little information lacking sound and the ability to interact with participants.

Excellent example of why hasty decisions or preceding w/o knowing exactly what is happening can be perilous.

I can understand the young lady not wanting to move to Florida and desiring to stay in Virginia though. I share that thought. :D

Yata hey

They were from Rhode Island, in transit to Florida.

But then again, finding herself in Virginia and perhaps recognizing her good fortune, she decided to stay?

But the bigger question for all those who say they would have done more than observe and report -- just what is it you would have done? And for those of you who say you would go to the display/offer of deadly force, what are your justifications?

A special note to Peter Nap - Really, in spite of what you may have heard, I'm your friend, pal, buddy and boon companion, m'kay?

stay safe.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

this same type of situation occurred feet away from me years ago, while driving through an alley. i stopped my truck, called 911, and described what i saw. that's all i did.

fortunately/unfortunately, the police were unable to identify the cross street and alley i called from, even though there was a police substation close enough for me to throw a rock in their window.

it was later found to be a family picking up a runaway relative. this kind of crap stopped when PW county passed the illegal alien ordinance back in 2007.

bealaskan

imported post

But the bigger question for all those who say they would have done more than observe and report -- just what is it you would have done?  And for those of you who say you would go to the display/offer of deadly force, what are your justifications?

To answer that question, you maintain situational awareness, act in a manner appropriate, and then re-assess the situation . A simple 911 call, give a detailed description of the vehicle along with the plate number, and sending someone for a security guard, may be enough. If you in a position to interfere long enough for help to arrive, even if that means putting yourself at risk, then that may be necessary. If you are armed and unholster your firearm in the defense of another, that is dependent on the situation. Whatever your course of action, the use of deadly force is only taken as a last resort.

The point I was making, in my earlier post had little to do with OC or CC. It was more to do with our society. We have become a society of people who don't what to get involved.

I am glad this situation had a happy (relatively) ending but what if the girl in question, was found dead? If I was in that situation and failed to act in some manner, to defend another and my inaction resulted in the injury or death of another, I know I would not want to live with that guilt.

Christopher

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Will those either without guilt or with perfect foresight, please take two steps forward. :uhoh:

I'd like to meet you.

Yata hey

PT111

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
PT111 wrote:
rlh2005 wrote:
Luckily the police showed up in time and got things straightened out but always know what you are getting into.
In time?

Not knocking LE, just the reference however slight, that they were there when needed.

Yata hey
I was talking about the situation that was being discussed in my CWP class. There the police showed up while theman was being pulled from his vehicle. Wound up being a good cop/bad cop situation and yes the bad cops got fired among other penalties.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

PT111 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
PT111 wrote:
rlh2005 wrote:
In time?

Yata hey
I was talking about the situation that was being discussed in my CWP class. There the police showed up while theman was being pulled from his vehicle. Wound up being a good cop/bad cop situation and yes the bad cops got fired among other penalties.
I see the distinction now that I reread it. My bad.

Yata hey

PT111

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Will those either without guilt or with perfect foresight, please take two steps forward. :uhoh:

I'd like to meet you.

Yata hey
{Walking backwards} :) Most LEO will tell you that they hate domestic violence cases between husbands and wives and a few situations have been posted oon this board. They show up somewhere for a call about a man beating a woman and start to try and protect the woman. Next thing you know both the man and woman are beating on the cops. Sometimes even when foresight is perfect it is still flawed.