• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Wisconsin Republican party platform calls for unlicensed concealed carry

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

-----Original Message-----
Subject: A political victory for true carry rights in Wisconsin
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 09:54:06 -0500

One of Wisconsin Carry's Founders Club Members Dave "Ole" Olson is a delegate with the Wisconsin Republican party who participated in the Wisconsin Republican Party convention in Milwaukee last weekend.

Oleis a very strong advocate for true carry rights and he has been working actively along with other delegates to make some important changes to the Republican platform.

The following document summarizes what has occurred at the GOP State Convention with the official Republican platform.

http://www.wisconsincarry.org/pdf/The2ndAmendment_in_thePoliticalArena.pdf

Wisconsin Carry and our membership willcontinue to strive to expand the ability to exercise the rights our state and federal constitution re-affirm through all available methods, political, legislative, legal/judicial, public awareness and any other effective means.

Thank-you to Ole for his efforts within the Wisconsin Republican Party and to Tom Irwin and Hudson Mayor Dean Knudson who spear headed the effort.

Carry On!

Nik Clark
Chairman/President - Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

--
SNIP from link:

[align=left]Another major accomplishment at the GOP Convention was amending resolution[/align]

[align=left]2010 -02 2
nd Amendment
. The following resolution was proposed as it is written here.[/align]

[align=left]The words that are
struck through [see red words] are the words we were able to get removed.[/align]

[align=left]2010-02
2nd Amendment[/align]

[align=left]WHEREAS, the Constitutions of the United States and Wisconsin both guarantee the right to keep and bear arms; and[/align]

[align=left]WHEREAS, Wisconsin does not allow law
‐abiding citizens to carry concealed weapons for their[/align]

[align=left]self
‐defense; and[/align]

[align=left]WHEREAS, Forty-Eight (48) states has adopted legislation allowing their citizens to obtain permits to carry[/align]

[align=left]concealed weapons for their self
‐defense; and[/align]

[align=left]WHEREAS, in those states which have adopted such legislation, the number of incidents of misuse of the concealed weapons resulting in the revocation of the permits for carrying concealed weapons has been negligible,[/align]

[align=left]NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the Republican Party of Wisconsin, in caucus assembled, urges[/align]

[align=left]the Wisconsin Legislature to adopt legislation to permitting law
‐abiding citizens without a felony record or[/align]

[align=left]a record of serious mental problems to
obtain permits to carry concealed weapons;[/align]

[align=left]. . . [/align]

rhenriksen

imported post

Isn't Wisconsin presently a 'no issue' state? To jump straight from 'no CHL' to constitutional carry would be unprecedented. Best of luck to the Republican efforts!

minuteman

imported post

rhenriksen wrote:
Isn't Wisconsin presently a 'no issue' state? To jump straight from 'no CHL' to constitutional carry would be unprecedented. Best of luck to the Republican efforts!
Yep we have no CCW here. For years we were harassed for open carry as well.

I really dont see needing a license as a right, that to me is a privilege..

This is great news.. Thank you for the work, well done!

aadvark

imported post

If Wisconsin were to join Arizona, Alaska, and Vermont on Unlicensed Concealed and Unconcealed Carry I would be shocked!

Hopefully, though, if Wisconsin were to do so, it would set National precedent to continue throughout the United States!

IA_farmboy

imported post

aadvark wrote:
If Wisconsin were to join Arizona, Alaska, and Vermont on Unlicensed Concealed and Unconcealed Carry I would be shocked!

Hopefully, though, if Wisconsin were to do so, it would set National precedent to continue throughout the United States!

I would not be shocked. The right to unlicensed open carry has been upheld in the courts. Those that wish to have people conceal their weapons (typically from the standpoint that they don't want people being aware of their right to arms) will do just about anything to make it happen, and that would include unlicensed concealed carry.

The gun grabbers have to realize they lost the fight to license open carry in Wisconsin. They also have to realize that an onerous license process for concealed carry will not compel people to conceal their weapons. The only course they have open is unlicensed concealed carry, anything less will not go far.

The gun grabbers and the civil rights advocates agreeing on something gives me an odd feeling. It's mixture of delight and of a strange "something is wrong with the world" kind of feeling.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Any true conservative that believes in LESS Bureaucracy, less government, and lower taxes MUST DEMAND a simple repeal of Wisconsin Stat. § 941.23.

Any permitting system would be a new bureaucracy, more government and a new tax.

Archangel

imported post

While I certainly wish the residents of my home state the best of luck in getting constitutional carry passed, I think realistically the chances of this happening any time soon are slim and none.

Wisconsin was the one of the last if not the last state in the entire country to allow citizens to carry pepper spray! You really think they are going to jump from where they are now to constitutional carry?

Let's be real here...

Heck I'd be happy for you guys if you could get any sort of CCW legislation passed. You'll have to wait for his highness Jim Doyle to step down first.

Then you'll have to elect enough politicians who won't water down and undermine a meaningful, realistic carry bill.

Then you'll have to elect a governor who will sign the legislation.

Still a steep uphill battle as far as I can see for my brethren. I feel for you.

Best of luck!

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

You'll have to wait for his highness Jim Doyle to step down first.

check

Then you'll have to elect enough politicians who won't water down and undermine a meaningful, realistic carry bill.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/94987379.html

record number of wisconsin pols not running for re-election. Energized base of tea-party participants ready to genuinely reverse big-government. The anti-incumbent movement has been noted nationally and locally. Formerly popular republicans (Tommy Thompson) even see the writing on the wall and are choosing not to run and leaving the political future to new freedom minded pols.

Then you'll have to elect a governor who will sign the legislation.

I'd give this BETTER than 50-50 odds.

One could debate all day long about how good of a shot we have. I think its VERY good.

But I think we all should be able to agree that with the political environment nationally, locally, rejection of big-government, tea-party influence, anti-incumbent sentiment... Whatever the odds are, NOW IS AS GOOD OF AN OPPORTUNITY AS WE MAY SEE EVER AGAIN

Archangel

imported post

I hope you get it, I really do. I wasn't trying to shoot your position down.

I would like nothing better than to be able to carry legally (concealed is my preference although I am not averse to OC and have often) when I am visiting friends and family back in WI.

I'm hoping for a complete decimation of all things liberal in the next elections.

Perhaps BO and his "change" has finally woken up the silent majority to be silent no longer.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I hope you get it, I really do. I wasn't trying to shoot your position down.

No offense taken.

Nothing worthwhile will come easy but this is the perfect political environment where just a "little" action on behalf of the couple thousand people that are part of this Wisconsin forum and our WCI membership, this could happen.

The official change in the Wisconsin republican party platform is far larger than people here in Wisconsin may realize. It sends a message to every republican candidate for office in the state that they have the political cover to support true freedom, not just the 90's and early 2000's lip-service 'pseudo-freedom'.

BO did wake up the silent majority (and false conservatives who went along with him stirred them up as well)

The republicans realized (finally) that the REAL critical mass of support wasn't found by being "just a little less liberal" than democrats but moving towards freedom.

The republicans realized if they don't move towards freedom, the libertarians will take more and more of their support.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

All we can do is our part. If each one of us writes our representatives and lets them know that this is a very big issue for us, maybe enough right minded people will get elected. I for one am doing more this state election cycle than I have ever done before. I am doing a lot of research and lobbying so that my vote will not be wasted.

While I'll probably end up voting for someone who doesn't support everything I want, I hope to support the person who is closest to my ideals.

So... this was a long winded thing saying, don't sit at home and pout if we don't get exactly what you want, support the person who at least get us closer to the goal.

Father C

imported post

This is really great and I hope it passes some time in my life (I am 72). Being a catholic priest I really dont want to carry openly. It just doesn't fit with the uniform.
When I lived in GA i was able to wear a shoulder holster under my black suit coat.
They did not even have IWB holsters back then. Let's hope and pray. And then vote republican.
Father C

M

McX

imported post

the title of this thread, and the discussions is the best news i've had all week!:celebrate

anmut

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
Any true conservative that believes in LESS Bureaucracy, less government, and lower taxes MUST DEMAND a simple repeal of Wisconsin Stat. § 941.23.

Any permitting system would be a new bureaucracy, more government and a new tax.
That's about as simple and true as it gets folks!

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
I few weeks back I had a talk with a republican candidate in my area, He had brought up that the republican party was behind "Constitutional Carry" at the convention, and to keep it under my hat until announced.

I think we are going to make national news here guys, one of the last two states to allow its citizens a way to defend themselves, then doing a 180 flip and going with no licensing requirements.

What is our state motto?
FORWARD!! and we might finally be moving in that direction.

If my spelling is poor, I have a valid excuse, I injured my dominant eye 2 days ago and it is hard to see things close up like a puter screen.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I few weeks back I had a talk with a republican candidate in my area, He had brought up that the republican party was behind "Constitutional Carry" at the convention, and to keep it under my hat until announced.

I think we are going to make national news here guys, one of the last two states to allow its citizens a way to defend themselves, then doing a 180 flip and going with no licensing requirements.

What is our state motto?
FORWARD!! and we might finally be moving in that direction.

If my spelling is poor, I have a valid excuse, I injured my dominant eye 2 days ago and it is hard to see things close up like a puter screen.

When we talk to the candidates, we need to make sure we are clear that we mean the WI Republican platform. When I was talking to a candidate a couple weeks ago, she thought I meant the national platform and it wasn't until I showed her the state one that she understood the subtle difference.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
A TRUE Conservative

A TRUE conservative, someone who believes in smaller government, lower taxes, and less bureaucracy, MUST be opposed to the creating of a carry permitting system in WI. Wisconsin has NEVER had such a system and we all know once a bureaucracy is in place, it is a difficult and arduous process to remove it.

I would submit, the best "carry bill" for WI would be a series of simple repeals, starting with 941.23.