• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cross Country OC Roadtrip!!

ForceofWill

imported post

Well, I'm finally able to move my wife over here where I'm stationed. She's currently living in Everett, WA. Gonna fly out and have the mover's pack and move most everything in the apartment, but we still have to drive her car over here. Using the opportunity to make a cross country roadtrip into a multi-state OC-A-Thon lol.

States include: Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, West VA, and VA.

I'm not particularly happy about having to go through Illinois, but I don't see another choice, since I need to do this in 4 days. I currently hold a VA CHP as well as one from WA. Still need to do research on exact laws for all the states and make myself notes on carry rules both in town and riding in cars. If any of you guys have any input or suggestions, please feel free to chime in. This is a big trip and the more help I can get the better. Plan to leave Thursday morning at the latest.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Good luck, and happy motoring. Checking both here (the front pages of the site) and www.handgunlaw.usshould give you the info you need.

Bring your wife to the next OC dinner in the Hampton area - a great way for her to get to meet good folks. Let those yahoos down there know so they can remember to bring their wife/female friend - they sometimes forget.:D

stay safe.

45acpForMe

imported post

If you go to St. Louis then south on I-55 you would skirt the border but never enter Illinois. You could then go through Kentucky & Tennessee. It would add about 100 miles to your trip though.

I use the following links when I plan a trip: (the obvious one) http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html and http://www.usacarry.com/

usacarry has some nice maps for reciprocity where you can click on multiple states where you have a CHP and see what other states honor yours.

With your two CHP's if you avoid Illinois you should be good to go. Also you need to read up on each states laws so that you understand while I'm in state X you can OC in restaurants or not, etc. There are other crazy things of what is acceptable in each state and how they define OC/CC requirements. When I drove to FL and was CC-ing I was ok in VA, NC then had to move it to a center console in SC (until they honored VA CHP) and before I got to GA, I had to stop and put it in the trunk, then once in FL I could CC it again but no OC. It will take a while to get all that info. Check it over more than once because I found I started confusing OC and CC laws personally.

ForceofWill

imported post

Thanks guys. Ya, I've been checking out the laws lately. It looks like Illinois and Iowa are the only ones that flat out don't honor my permits. I'm making a list of all the laws for the states as far as car carry and where we can go eat and such. I'll tell you what though, it would be a major PITA to do this without any permits.

I also just got a MAJOR appreciation for state preemption. Missouri has a list of cities you can or can't OC in. I can't imagine having to deal with that crap. I think I'll just CC in that state lol.