Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Negative incident at Cabelas

Post imported post

We took a ride up to Cabelas to get some bulk ammo and to check out the new sign we have been hearing so much about. Sure enough it is there (in the center, just past the doors). We walked past and shopped most of the store. When we were just about to go get the case of .308 and check out, I was approached by an employee. His name is Mark and he identifies as the store manager.

He gets very close and tells me open carry is illegal in CT and that it is against store policy. I told him he is incorrect about legality and that he has a posted store policy that says you may conceal or open carry in the store. He appeared to not be aware of that sign. I walked him down to the sign and made him read it. He then tells me that is a company wide policy, and that the store policies are only if open carry is legal in the state they are in.

I pull out my literature and explain it is legal, here is proof. He now backpedals and says he is not arguing legality, only store policy and that all open weapons must be checked because open carry is not safe or secure. My thumb break speed scabbard disagrees.

I tell him there is no way he will be touching my weapon and we leave.

We walk outside and I called around to see if we have any Cabela's contacts. We don't. So I called their central number and asked for someone to clarify their corporate policy to this manager. They couldn't find anyone on a Sunday holiday, but they did call the store and try to clarify. Apparently they talked to the same manager and were just as confused by him.

So I call the manager myself. I clarified and made sure he understood that there is no law against OC in CT. He reluctantly agreed but said I could have the police called on me. I explained how very aware of this I am and explained how that does not matter and what trouble the police get in for doing anything to law abiding citizens.

I also made him agree that he has a stated policy posted in his front lobby that says OC is ok. He reluctantly agrees.

His view now is that he was told to make the weapons checking policy more secure due to a 'shooting' at bass pro. Well Anna quickly found that post:
    http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2010/05/...2871274216684/

In summary, the woman was shot by someone WHILE checking their weapon! Not by someone open carrying.

I tried to call him back, but I was informed he had left the store early. I will be calling back. I hope other people do as well.

More as this one progresses...
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

Post imported post

oh man
    Last edited by RR917; 04-06-2016 at 08:36 AM.

Post imported post

Rich B wrote:
    We took a ride up to Cabelas to get some bulk ammo and to check out the new sign we have been hearing so much about. Sure enough it is there (in the center, just past the doors). We walked past and shopped most of the store. When we were just about to go get the case of .308 and check out, I was approached by an employee. His name is Mark and he identifies as the store manager.

He gets very close and tells me open carry is illegal in CT and that it is against store policy. I told him he is incorrect about legality and that he has a posted store policy that says you may conceal or open carry in the store. He appeared to not be aware of that sign. I walked him down to the sign and made him read it. He then tells me that is a company wide policy, and that the store policies are only if open carry is legal in the state they are in.

I pull out my literature and explain it is legal, here is proof. He now backpedals and says he is not arguing legality, only store policy and that all open weapons must be checked because open carry is not safe or secure. My thumb break speed scabbard disagrees.

I tell him there is no way he will be touching my weapon and we leave.

We walk outside and I called around to see if we have any Cabela's contacts. We don't. So I called their central number and asked for someone to clarify their corporate policy to this manager. They couldn't find anyone on a Sunday holiday, but they did call the store and try to clarify. Apparently they talked to the same manager and were just as confused by him.

So I call the manager myself. I clarified and made sure he understood that there is no law against OC in CT. He reluctantly agreed but said I could have the police called on me. I explained how very aware of this I am and explained how that does not matter and what trouble the police get in for doing anything to law abiding citizens.

I also made him agree that he has a stated policy posted in his front lobby that says OC is ok. He reluctantly agrees.

His view now is that he was told to make the weapons checking policy more secure due to a 'shooting' at bass pro. Well Anna quickly found that post:
    http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2010/05/...2871274216684/

In summary, the woman was shot by someone WHILE checking their weapon! Not by someone open carrying.

I tried to call him back, but I was informed he had left the store early. I will be calling back. I hope other people do as well.

More as this one progresses...
    Man, s*** just seems to follow no matter where you go! Well handled!!

Post imported post

Maybe this bright red CCDL shirt draws a lot of attention?
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Post imported post

Could be Rich, could be.. but then again, perhaps that's not what the attention is all about, perhaps its his lack of knowledge of even the basics of CT Firearm law.

I'll be wearing my bright red CCDL shirt at the memorial day parades I'll be going to. Tricky Dick Blumenthal shows up to the one in Stratford usually. "WHERES MY DECLARATORY RULING!?!?!?" haha

Post imported post

I am currently at the one in Wallingford... Same shirt.

Post imported post

I just had a Lt Homestead of the Wallingford PD stop and ask me for my permit. I gave it to him, but ai told him only because he was polite. I informed him I had no obligation to give it to him. He disagrees. That will be a good cause for discussion with the Chief next week.

Post imported post

Rich B wrote:
    I just had a Lt Homestead of the Wallingford PD stop and ask me for my permit. I gave it to him, but ai told him only because he was polite. I informed him I had no obligation to give it to him. He disagrees. That will be a good cause for discussion with the Chief next week.
    Wow.

Iassumed that every cop in Wallingford would have your picture duct-taped to the dashboard of their car by now, with the caveat '...stay the f*** away from this guy...'

Post imported post

He knew who I was. He said "You are probably that guy who was down..."

This incident was very different. Polite and respectful. Just need to finish their education...

Post imported post

Rich, Maybe you should start video taping your encounters.

Post imported post

Took this photo today (Memorial Day, the same day they refused my son a Military discount that they specifically told him about on his trip there last week).

Maybe no more Cabela's

Post imported post

Yep, that is the same sign I saw. Your photo is better than mine.

After hearing their refusal of a military discount, I think I may keep all my business squarely with Hoffman's. They actually support my rights, they don't just claim to.

Post imported post

danr71 wrote:
    That would imply that I am looking for trouble. I am just conducting my daily business. Nothing to see here, move along.

Post imported post

You're not looking for trouble Rich but as you know, WPD and other ill-informed types will bring trouble to you. Having some sort of an electronic record of the goings-on is not indicative of you looking for trouble it's indicative of you having the means to prove your side of the story in any encounter.

Just like carrying a pistol - you're not looking for trouble but you're a damn sight better prepared if it comes knocking than the rest of the public.

Post imported post

We will see how it goes, but I open carry literally all over the state and I rarely have an issue, so I don't see a point.

The police can do and say whatever they want but at the end of the day, I am completely law abiding and they have no right to do anything to me.

Post imported post

And until each and every police officer in each and every department works within the law and doesn't feel the need to interject his or her own opinion or that of their chief into the equation I'd still say you're better off having some proof in a "He said she said" situation - as you know if it's your word against the cops, without some proof, you are not going to be believed.

Post imported post

Post imported post

The PD Confiscated your permit or just wanted to check to make sure you had one?

Rich B wrote:

Post imported post

Rich B wrote:
    danr71 wrote:
    That would imply that I am looking for trouble. I am just conducting my daily business. Nothing to see here, move along.
    I am not saying you should record your daily business while OC, but you should be ready to protect yourself by having it recorded. Maybe things would have turned out differently in Wallingford, had that been taped maybe Mark Vanaman would have been the one in handcuffs. Anyways thank you and everyone here for doing what your doing to get awareness out to the public.

Post imported post

sdrct wrote:

Took this photo today (Memorial Day, the same day they refused my son a Military discount that they specifically told him about on his trip there last week).

Maybe no more Cabela's
    Wow...that's nicer then the one I saw in the Hamburg, PA store...that one was just a computer printed Word document...but it was taped to ALL the doors.
    States donít have rights. People do.

Post imported post

Hey there Rich,

I am also a townie. I have been carrying OC all up and down Rt. 5 with no problems. Funny thing is two weeks ago, I was taking a walk down by Broad Brook Reservoir and 100 yards shy of Wallingford town line, I get stopped by two Cheshire police. Someone called the police on me. It is in a wooded area, no houses or anything. It went well. It was new to them that OC was legal. One of them mentioned that if it was a fake weapon, THAT would be illegal. I don't have the GCS number handy for that, but I read it before.

Anyway, good luck. Look me up if you want to get together sometime. Also, there is a Craig Fishbein http://www.fishbeinlaw.com/profile2.html who is an attorney in town, on the town council and seems to be supportive.

Carry On,

Andy

Post imported post

NickNt wrote:
    The PD Confiscated your permit or just wanted to check to make sure you had one?

¬*
    Well obviously it was just to check it, otherwise this would be a bit bigger of an incident...

Post imported post

danr71 wrote:
    I am not saying you should record your daily business while OC,¬* but you should be ready to protect yourself by having it recorded. Maybe things would have turned out differently in Wallingford, had that been taped maybe Mark Vanaman would have been the one in handcuffs. Anyways thank you and everyone here for doing what your doing to get awareness out to the public.
    Again, I am going about my daily business. I just happen to be open carrying while I am doing it. As it is, it is already hard to not have people like Mr. Vanaman manufacture facts and say I was 'making a point'. If I broke out a video camera, I would have no way of saying that.

Post imported post

atrule wrote:
    Hey there Rich,

I am also a townie. I have been carrying OC all up and down Rt. 5 with no problems. Funny thing is two weeks ago, I was taking a walk down by Broad Brook Reservoir and 100 yards shy of Wallingford town line, I get stopped by two Cheshire police. Someone called the police on me. It is in a wooded area, no houses or anything. It went well. It was new to them that OC was legal. One of them mentioned that if it was a fake weapon, THAT would be illegal. I don't have the GCS number handy for that, but I read it before.

Anyway, good luck. Look me up if you want to get together sometime. Also, there is a Craig Fishbein http://www.fishbeinlaw.com/profile2.html who is an attorney in town, on the town council and seems to be supportive.

Carry On,

Andy
    Glad to hear the Cheshire police are better informed and that your incident went better.

I had already been in contact with Craig Fishbein. He actually helped out with the incident and talked to the police apparently. He is a pretty nice guy, we are lucky he is on our side.

Post imported post

Craig is a good guy for sure, he's a 2A supporter not just a "hired gun" type and will stand up for what is right. I've got his number in my cell phone for those "Just in case" moments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast