• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Negative incident at Cabelas

Rich B

imported post

We took a ride up to Cabelas to get some bulk ammo and to check out the new sign we have been hearing so much about. Sure enough it is there (in the center, just past the doors). We walked past and shopped most of the store. When we were just about to go get the case of .308 and check out, I was approached by an employee. His name is Mark and he identifies as the store manager.

He gets very close and tells me open carry is illegal in CT and that it is against store policy. I told him he is incorrect about legality and that he has a posted store policy that says you may conceal or open carry in the store. He appeared to not be aware of that sign. I walked him down to the sign and made him read it. He then tells me that is a company wide policy, and that the store policies are only if open carry is legal in the state they are in.

I pull out my literature and explain it is legal, here is proof. He now backpedals and says he is not arguing legality, only store policy and that all open weapons must be checked because open carry is not safe or secure. My thumb break speed scabbard disagrees.

I tell him there is no way he will be touching my weapon and we leave.

We walk outside and I called around to see if we have any Cabela's contacts. We don't. So I called their central number and asked for someone to clarify their corporate policy to this manager. They couldn't find anyone on a Sunday holiday, but they did call the store and try to clarify. Apparently they talked to the same manager and were just as confused by him.

So I call the manager myself. I clarified and made sure he understood that there is no law against OC in CT. He reluctantly agreed but said I could have the police called on me. I explained how very aware of this I am and explained how that does not matter and what trouble the police get in for doing anything to law abiding citizens.

I also made him agree that he has a stated policy posted in his front lobby that says OC is ok. He reluctantly agrees.

His view now is that he was told to make the weapons checking policy more secure due to a 'shooting' at bass pro. Well Anna quickly found that post:
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2010/05/18/Woman-accidentally-shot-in-butt-at-store/UPI-12871274216684/

In summary, the woman was shot by someone WHILE checking their weapon! Not by someone open carrying.

I tried to call him back, but I was informed he had left the store early. I will be calling back. I hope other people do as well.

More as this one progresses...

MGoduto

imported post

Rich B wrote:
We took a ride up to Cabelas to get some bulk ammo and to check out the new sign we have been hearing so much about. Sure enough it is there (in the center, just past the doors). We walked past and shopped most of the store. When we were just about to go get the case of .308 and check out, I was approached by an employee. His name is Mark and he identifies as the store manager.

He gets very close and tells me open carry is illegal in CT and that it is against store policy. I told him he is incorrect about legality and that he has a posted store policy that says you may conceal or open carry in the store. He appeared to not be aware of that sign. I walked him down to the sign and made him read it. He then tells me that is a company wide policy, and that the store policies are only if open carry is legal in the state they are in.

I pull out my literature and explain it is legal, here is proof. He now backpedals and says he is not arguing legality, only store policy and that all open weapons must be checked because open carry is not safe or secure. My thumb break speed scabbard disagrees.

I tell him there is no way he will be touching my weapon and we leave.

We walk outside and I called around to see if we have any Cabela's contacts. We don't. So I called their central number and asked for someone to clarify their corporate policy to this manager. They couldn't find anyone on a Sunday holiday, but they did call the store and try to clarify. Apparently they talked to the same manager and were just as confused by him.

So I call the manager myself. I clarified and made sure he understood that there is no law against OC in CT. He reluctantly agreed but said I could have the police called on me. I explained how very aware of this I am and explained how that does not matter and what trouble the police get in for doing anything to law abiding citizens.

I also made him agree that he has a stated policy posted in his front lobby that says OC is ok. He reluctantly agrees.

His view now is that he was told to make the weapons checking policy more secure due to a 'shooting' at bass pro. Well Anna quickly found that post:
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2010/05/18/Woman-accidentally-shot-in-butt-at-store/UPI-12871274216684/

In summary, the woman was shot by someone WHILE checking their weapon! Not by someone open carrying.

I tried to call him back, but I was informed he had left the store early. I will be calling back. I hope other people do as well.

More as this one progresses...
Man, s*** just seems to follow no matter where you go! Well handled!!

GoldCoaster

imported post

Could be Rich, could be.. but then again, perhaps that's not what the attention is all about, perhaps its his lack of knowledge of even the basics of CT Firearm law.

I'll be wearing my bright red CCDL shirt at the memorial day parades I'll be going to. Tricky Dick Blumenthal shows up to the one in Stratford usually. "WHERES MY DECLARATORY RULING!?!?!?" haha

Rich B

imported post

I just had a Lt Homestead of the Wallingford PD stop and ask me for my permit. I gave it to him, but ai told him only because he was polite. I informed him I had no obligation to give it to him. He disagrees. That will be a good cause for discussion with the Chief next week.

MGoduto

imported post

Rich B wrote:
I just had a Lt Homestead of the Wallingford PD stop and ask me for my permit. I gave it to him, but ai told him only because he was polite. I informed him I had no obligation to give it to him. He disagrees. That will be a good cause for discussion with the Chief next week.

Wow.

Iassumed that every cop in Wallingford would have your picture duct-taped to the dashboard of their car by now, with the caveat '...stay the f*** away from this guy...'

Rich B

imported post

He knew who I was. He said "You are probably that guy who was down..."

This incident was very different. Polite and respectful. Just need to finish their education...

sdrct

imported post

P5310009.jpg

Took this photo today (Memorial Day, the same day they refused my son a Military discount that they specifically told him about on his trip there last week).

Maybe no more Cabela's

Rich B

imported post

Yep, that is the same sign I saw. Your photo is better than mine.

After hearing their refusal of a military discount, I think I may keep all my business squarely with Hoffman's. They actually support my rights, they don't just claim to.

GoldCoaster

imported post

You're not looking for trouble Rich but as you know, WPD and other ill-informed types will bring trouble to you. Having some sort of an electronic record of the goings-on is not indicative of you looking for trouble it's indicative of you having the means to prove your side of the story in any encounter.

Just like carrying a pistol - you're not looking for trouble but you're a damn sight better prepared if it comes knocking than the rest of the public.

Rich B

imported post

We will see how it goes, but I open carry literally all over the state and I rarely have an issue, so I don't see a point.

The police can do and say whatever they want but at the end of the day, I am completely law abiding and they have no right to do anything to me.

GoldCoaster

imported post

And until each and every police officer in each and every department works within the law and doesn't feel the need to interject his or her own opinion or that of their chief into the equation I'd still say you're better off having some proof in a "He said she said" situation - as you know if it's your word against the cops, without some proof, you are not going to be believed.

NickNt

imported post

The PD Confiscated your permit or just wanted to check to make sure you had one?

Rich B wrote:

danr71

imported post

Rich B wrote:
danr71 wrote:
Rich, Maybe you should start video taping your encounters.
That would imply that I am looking for trouble. I am just conducting my daily business. Nothing to see here, move along.
I am not saying you should record your daily business while OC, but you should be ready to protect yourself by having it recorded. Maybe things would have turned out differently in Wallingford, had that been taped maybe Mark Vanaman would have been the one in handcuffs. Anyways thank you and everyone here for doing what your doing to get awareness out to the public.

mrjam2jab

imported post

sdrct wrote:
P5310009.jpg

Took this photo today (Memorial Day, the same day they refused my son a Military discount that they specifically told him about on his trip there last week).

Maybe no more Cabela's

Wow...that's nicer then the one I saw in the Hamburg, PA store...that one was just a computer printed Word document...but it was taped to ALL the doors. :D