• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Security is tight on the Jamestown/Scotland Neck Ferry

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

We went to Surry House restaurant for lunch today. We parked at the Jamestown Park and I took the Whizzer and Jane took her ...scooter...:? on the ferry.

Security was checking every third car, under it with a mirror and making people open the trunks as well as looking in the car.

They didn't look under the Whizzer and as I rode by, the female officer said "Isn't that cute" I'm certain she was talking about me because I trimmed my beard today:dude:

Never a word about the 1911.

When we came back, no problems even though they were still doing every 3rd car.

Then we went to Jamestown so I switched from OC'ing the 1911 to CCing the Taser.
Sure will be nice when Bob unveils his secret plans to correct that.:X

I may be the first OCer to take a Whiz all the way across the James river.

t33j

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Then we went to Jamestown so I switched from OC'ing the 1911 to CCing the Taser.
eh:question:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

t33j wrote:
peter nap wrote:
eh:question:
You need a permit to carry a firearm in State Parks. As far as I know (or care) Tasers are OK.

If you're asking about McDonnell's secret plan...it's a secret.

t33j

imported post

Well then
I thought Jamestown island was a national park... guess I never bothered to read the signs.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

t33j wrote:
Well then
I thought Jamestown island was a national park... guess I never bothered to read the signs.
Half and half. Jamestown park across the road where the beach is, is state.
Jamestown Settlement proper, where the ships are and the exhibit buildings, is state.
The newer digs behind the settlement, is Federal.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Every once in a while they get all stoked up and haul out the mirrors and flashlights and other security stuff. I really think the contract stipulates how often they have to play that game.

I got caught up in that a couple of nights ago - either Thursday or Friday (getting olk has its benefits;)). They had a floodlight and two mirrors going under the vehicle, plus looking really intently at the rear hubcaps. For some reason the three long--gun cases on the back seat were either not noticed or did not bother them. now that I think about it, I can not recall them looking inside the vehicle - at least not being obvious and shining lights and such.

OC on the ferry is a big non-event. Once in a while I will get the :uhoh:eek:r:Xfrom some folks that I track back to vehicles with tags from Maryland or further North. Most of the time it seems folks are more interested in watching me feed stale bread to the seagulls.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

skidmark wrote:
Every once in a while they get all stoked up and haul out the mirrors and flashlights and other security stuff. I really think the contract stipulates how often they have to play that game.

I got caught up in that a couple of nights ago - either Thursday or Friday (getting olk has its benefits;)). They had a floodlight and two mirrors going under the vehicle, plus looking really intently at the rear hubcaps. For some reason the three long--gun cases on the back seat were either not noticed or did not bother them. now that I think about it, I can not recall them looking inside the vehicle - at least not being obvious and shining lights and such.

OC on the ferry is a big non-event. Once in a while I will get the :uhoh:eek:r:Xfrom some folks that I track back to vehicles with tags from Maryland or further North. Most of the time it seems folks are more interested in watching me feed stale bread to the seagulls.

stay safe.
I guess they didn't want to mess with the leader of the pack yesterday. We met this bunch and they were looking for someone to show them how to take over small towns and such.

Riana

imported post

peter nap wrote:
I may be the first OCer to take a Whiz all the way across the James river.
Maybe I'm not supposed to encourage you, but that was funny. If I hadn't already finished my drink, you'd owe me a keyboard. :lol:

paramedic70002

imported post

peter nap wrote:
t33j wrote:
Well then
Half and half. Jamestown park across the road where the beach is, is state.
Jamestown Settlement proper, where the ships are and the exhibit buildings, is state.
The newer digs behind the settlement, is Federal.

Well that's fascinating.

t33j

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
So, car bombs are out, but openly carried handguns are not.  Somewhere, somehow, that logic just doesn't seem right.
Why not? Would a bomb on a ferry have some sort of defensive use?

ODA 226

imported post

I OC'd on the Scotland Ferry yesterday with Mr. Springfield and a VCDL T-shirt and hat. I'll post some pics of that trip later today.

Chkultr

imported post

Must be the same thing in NC. I am in the OBX. Was chosen for one of the random vehicle checks. Asked for my DL and if I had weapons or drugs in the vehicle. Answered yes to one of the questions. Was asked quite a few times if I was LEO or a postal carrier! Finally was told to lock it up and not to remove it until I got to the other side!

This was the Hatteras-Ocracoke ferry on the Ocracoke side!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Chkultr wrote:
Must be the same thing in NC. I am in the OBX. Was chosen for one of the random vehicle checks. Asked for my DL and if I had weapons or drugs in the vehicle. Answered yes to one of the questions. Was asked quite a few times if I was LEO or a postal carrier! Finally was told to lock it up and not to remove it until I got to the other side!

The Hatteras-Oracoke ferry is part of NCDOT - state owned/controlled.
Did not know that they could deprive you of your 2A rights.
http://www.ncdot.org/ferry/

Couldn't find any statute law covering this. Anybody?

That wouldn't fly on Va. public transportation.

Yata hey

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Chkultr wrote:

Yata hey

I wonder if they consider the ferry charge an entrance fee:

·
Assemblies and establishments where admission was charged. §14-269.3

Or a state office building

·
State office buildings or any portion of a building in which there’re State offices. §14-415.11(c)

virginiatuck

imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Chkultr wrote:

Yata hey

I wonder if they consider the ferry charge an entrance fee:

·
Assemblies and establishments where admission was charged. §14-269.3

Or a state office building

·
State office buildings or any portion of a building in which there’re State offices. §14-415.11(c)
"any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed."

The way you have it there it sounds like you're saying "establishments where admission was charged" but that's not the case. The charged admission only applies to an assembly.

So, is the ferry an assembly? I doubt it.

Perhaps further discussion of the matter should be moved to the NC forum.
]