• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting info/education to county sheriffs

cowboy67

imported post

Just a thought, all this trying to educate on a one on one basis is like the two step, one step forward two steps back.Seems like one person on here will get the sheriff in their county educated or find that he/she is good with OC but with every one, there are two that are bull headed and promise to lock you up like a common criminal and throw away the key.

Has anyone tried educating the Alabamas Sheriffs association(if there is one)or contacting the Alabama law enforcement academy? Seems like that those places would be the bottle neck to start getting their guys educated on the legalities of OC.

I know that these ORGs do not have the powers to enforce what a sheriff does, but if the young deputies/cops get the knowledge and take it to their departments, it may just filter up to the big brass when they find out the liabilities they could face.

AL Ranger

imported post

I've found the Alabama Sheriffs Association and have already sent off an email.

Feel free to write or call or fax or all of the above.

514 Washington Avenue
Montgomery, Alabama 36104-4385

Office: (334) 264-7827
Office: (800) 622-7827
Fax: (334) 269-5588

Email:
alsheriffs@aol.com

Alabama State FOP

1120 John Overton Drive

Montgomery, AL 36110

334-215-8504

334-215-8506 Fax

1-800-844-2940

Kirbinator

imported post

Another step/idea/concept might be to interface directly with the FOP and try to get word out through that or other organizations like it. I'm certain they have internal newsletters.

eye95

imported post

Thanks, Ranger. I sent an email. I warned them that even stopping an OCer merely for OC is unlawful and that the immunity that deputies enjoy could be pierced--allowing not only for requests for specific performance on the part of LEAs, but monetary damages from the deputies!

I asked the organization to research the law and educate its member sheriffs. I specifically mentioned the Autauga, Coffee, and Houston county sheriffs as potential future problems.

I think that any future violations of the Fourth Amendment by these departments should result in lawsuits.