• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA state park question

Uber_Olafsun

imported post

I know the state park and open carry is still a big issue but I was just looking at the park website. It says they only permit holders can carry but it doesn't say how they have to be concealed. Where does it say that they have to be concealed? It looks like the site was updated in feb. so did they change the wording? I know the gov and AG have both given their opinions in the past about this.

virginiatuck

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
t33j wrote:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+4VAC5-30-200

IANAL but I read that to prohibit all but concealed carry. I'd be interested to read any AG opinions on the matter. (link pls?)
I agree, and it should be noted as well that it seems by their wording that only a Virginia CHP is acceptable.
If "pursuant to" means "in conformity with" then an out-of-state permit recognized by the Commonwealth would be valid in a State Park because of 18.2-308(P).

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
t33j wrote:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+4VAC5-30-200

IANAL but I read that to prohibit all but concealed carry. I'd be interested to read any AG opinions on the matter. (link pls?)
I agree, and it should be noted as well that it seems by their wording that only a Virginia CHP is acceptable.
If "pursuant to" means "in conformity with" then an out-of-state permit recognized by the Commonwealth would be valid in a State Park because of 18.2-308(P).

You are correct. I misread something there in my original post. I have to stop reading Code after midnight. Screws me up every time. :)

(original post deleted)

Uber_Olafsun

imported post

It's just funny that the wording on the site has something close but not the same.

Firearms: Law enforcement officers and those with a concealed weapons permit may carry firearms. During hunts, hunters may have firearms, which should be unloaded and properly stored when outside designated hunt areas. Target shooting is prohibited. Air guns are prohibited.

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/faq.shtml#r&r