• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ammo?

10A

imported post

Grains can measure both weight of the powder and weight of the bullet (actually the weight of anything).

Usually for commercial cartridges if you seen a grain measurement it's the weight of the bullet.

Naturally the weight of powder is much less than bullet weight. Although it varies widely, a typical 9mm bullet weight would be 115g while a typical powder charge is around 4g, just as as an example.

Broondog

imported post

some people live by "the bigger the rock, the better".

and others feel that size doesn't matter and it's all about shot placement.

this question has been the fuel for many a heated debate over the years on every gun forum i've ever encountered. IMO, to each their own.

FYI, i'm on the shot placement side. i might throw a smaller rock but i hope to put that rock in an effective place.

Dreamer

imported post

Welcome to OCDO!

To be more technical, 1 grain = 64.79891 milligrams so that a 230grain bullet (like in many .45acp defense rounds) would weight about 14.9 grams, or about .53 ounces...

I'm in the school of thought that shot placement is key, and bullet size doesn't really matter if you can't hit your target.

However, I carry a double-stack .45acp with 13+1 rounds, and an extra magazine, loaded with Winchester PXD-1 230 grains. I feel that big and slow is better than small and fast, at least in a defensive situation, in urban settings.

But you are likely to get hundreds of different opinions when it comes to the "which is best" question. It all really comes down to 1) what can you shoot comfortably, 2)what is best suite to your standard enviroment, and 3) how many rounds do you want to carry, and in which type of firearm...

Personal choice is the ONLY real "right answer"...

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Welcome aboard, we're pleased to have you here.

There is both a wealth of information and a wealth of opinions and personal preferences when it comes to defensive calibers, bullet designs and weights, and the handguns with which to launch these chosen projectiles. My advice to you is to read much, keep an open mind, learn to separate the BS from facts, and take in as much as you can. You will never stop learning.

Here is a link to a long series of postings which may help you with defensive ammo and give you some insight you may not otherwise encounter.

And please do ask questions. There are a lot of people on this site who can and will offer valuable information.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1165386

Iopencarry

imported post

Welcome,

Practice, practice, practice. then do it some more. Shot placement is the key.

I like a .357 or a .40 myself. Have no use or want of a 9mm. While they can and do get the job done, I just do not like them. .45's are, for me, a hunting round and I use them as such.

This is what I do, and recommend to my friends and students.

Carry what you are comfy with, and are good at. If you are not able to control your shots, DO NOT CARRY.

I practice with a lighter load, both for comfort, and cost. Then when done with the practice, I put a full mag thru with the larger loads that I will use as a Defensive load. Muscle memory. You will remember what the last load is that you shot, and when in need, you will not even feel the recoil.

What I am trying to say, and it comes across better in person, lol, is that you will not feel the recoil of a bigger round when you use it in a defensive action. It will happen so fast, and be over with before you can feel it. Just like when hunting with a large cal rifle. The dang thing hurts like heck to sight in, (20 rounds), but the one or two shots needed to bring down the Elk you never feel.