• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHL students unite to protest

TheHossUSMC

imported post

So I have been doing a lot of research and thinking about other schools policies regarding the State preemption law that supersedes the schools policies, and how helpless we are as students because we fear repercussions of an academic nature from the schools.
Here is my thoughts ORS 166.170 says the schools don't have the right to tell us where when etc... we can carry. ORS 166.370 clearly authorizes us to carry in a public building (schools)
That said here is my idea. What if we Oregonians group up from cities around Oregon and carpool to a particular school. I would suggest RCC first as we are already fighting a battle there. Then all of us who are authorized to carry there, CHL holders, open carry onto the campus and protest at the administration building. All the RCC students can guide us were to go and just not carry themselves therefore not fear any punishment. Then we move on to whatever school is next at some later date or just see how RCC goes. We could tip the news off that we will be there too if we want.
I'd like to hear your input as I have been kicking around this idea for a while.

We-the-People

imported post

Sounds like a good idea but Oregon is WAY spread out, particularly down here in Southern Oregon.

I love the idea of a bunch of non students showing up to protest but there would likely need to be preparation in the form of reserving a "free speech zone" at most campus's. The RCC campus in downtown Medford is interesting in that when you walk out almost any dooryou're on a city sidewalk. Darn, you're policies don't apply.

I was actually asked for ID by a security guard while I was standing on the sidewalk and kindly refused as 1) I wasn't on campus. 2) He wasn't a cop and had no RAS even if he was. Silly man threatened to call the volunteers from the PD and then I'd HAVE to show ID...I set him straight on that and he went to calling the cops and I'd be arrested for loitering....I set him straight on that as well. Then I waited until he had to move on before going into the campus as I didn't know the rules on campus for ID. Seems there is NO requirement to even have a student ID unless you're doing something that requires ID (financial aid, borrowing a library book, etc.) so I now carry "sterile" at school. I hope he asks me again some time.....LOL

Are you aware of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (SCCC)? I was going to open a chapter here but they insist against carrying an empty holster on campuses that prohibit firearms carry if you're an officer of their organization.

cassterr

imported post

We-the-People wrote:
I was going to open a chapter here but they insist against carrying an empty holster on campuses that prohibit firearms carry if you're an officer of their organization.

What? Why can't an officer carry an empty holster?

We-the-People

imported post

Well the way I understand it, they want SCCC officers (maybe members as well, not sure on that) to advocate CONCEALED carry and the only time they want empty holsters carried is when they do nationwide "empty holster protests".

Sounded a bit silly to me, the empty holster definitely causes people to ask questions and that opens up the opportunity to present the facts of the law, safety (or more specifically lack of safety) on and near campus, etc.