• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tacoma Metro Parks

tiggr9

imported post

New, and have been searching for the last 12 hours to whether or not any kind of carry into the Point Defiance Zoo is okay. On my way in to the parking are I noticed a sign with the prohibition of firearms stated way at the bottom and in very small print that I almost didn't notice it. I know it falls under MetroParks.
After many hours looking in Tacoma Codes and in other posting, I can not find anything coming close to whether this is a "No, no."
Help?

Why can't finding the right thing to do be easy?

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

If the zoo is owned by the city, county, or state, state preemption does not allow you to be prevented from carrying in a lawful way. However if it is a private business, it is their rules and you can be removed and trespassed. (Just CC if this is the case)

lol, I'll do the "I am not a lawyer" disclaimer now.

I am not a lawyer.

Batousaii

imported post

You should be just fine to OC or CC at the zoo. It is not a federal government building. Also, the worst case scenario they ask you to cover up or leave, at thats becoming a less frequent occurrence as OC gains awareness.

Welcome to the forum, glad to have ya with us.

;)Bat

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

PDZA is owned and operated by the Metro Parks Department. This is a city-owned entity, so firearms carry is preempted by state law. OC and CC is completely legal and allowed, regardless of what their sign may say. If you are asked to leave, you can ask to talk to a manager and show them the 9.41.290 reference regarding state preemption. My family has a zoo membership, and although I've never OC'd there, I've also never gone w/out CCing (nor has my wife).

City and county owned parks MUST abide by the state's requirements as far as firearms possession, regardless of what the local code states. If it is stricter than what the RCW's allow, it is automatically "preempted and repealed" so it is unenforceable. Cities/counties may be unaware of the preemption statute, or they may just try to be pulling one over on people ("Well it says no guns on the sign, so I guess I'll have to leave the gun at home, etc..."). Either way, if it is publically-owned property, (and not a courthouse, jail, post office, federal property, or secured area of a police station) the state preempts any regulation that may prevent you from carrying there.:celebrate Carry on. Welcome to the forum!

-G20

tiggr9

imported post

Thank you for all the info, I all ready pretty much assumed this but you know what they about those.

Has anyone ever contacted MetroParks about there signs, I'm sure they're all "accidentally mis-labeled."

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tiggr9 wrote:
Thank you for all the info, I all ready pretty much assumed this but you know what they about those.

Has anyone ever contacted MetroParks about there signs, I'm sure they're all "accidentally mis-labeled."

In the Tacoma park near my home there is no reference to firearms.

The PDZA is a 'Code of Conduct' on their website. I will later today take a picture of my park sign.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
tacomaparks.jpg

amzbrady

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
http://www.pdza.org/page.php?id=456

Protect everyone's safety �

• Follow the instructions on all signs.
  • Walk at all times.
  • Do not touch any animals unless they are in an area that allows contact.
  • Do not bring any firearms or other weapons on zoo grounds.

This code of conduct, is it a suggestion or a rule? If it is a rule, is the parkcity or private property?

Phssthpok

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Whitney wrote:
LT, I am interested in the progress you have made with this. I am currently working on an emergency powers restriction in my county code but have not been succesful.

-Whitney
I sent the email off to them the same day and have not received a reply.

They must have taken it to heart...I just clicked the link for the code of conduct and found no references to firearms .:shock:

(bottom of page says Site last updated on 6/3/2010 © 2005-2010 Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium)

WinchesterModel12

imported post

here is a copy of an email i received today :

Thank you for your recent email about the firearms language in Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium’s Code of Conduct. We have removed the firearms prohibition language from our Web site and our Code of Conduct signs.

We appreciate your interest in this topic. Please contact me directly if you have any questions or additional concerns.

Best regards,

Whitney DalBalcon

Whitney DalBalcon

Marketing and Public Relations Manager
Zoological and Environmental Education Department

Metro Parks Tacoma

Whitney.DalBalcon@pdza.org