• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Va beach to Ferry to Ocracoke any worries?

readyfire

imported post

Traveling to Ocracoke on the Ferry from Va Beach, is there anything to be aware of,any legalities?My wife and I will be carrying concealed,thanx........

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Once you find the ferry from Va. Beach, you need to remember that Hattaras & Okrakoke Islands are all NPS lands. Therefore carry will be dependant on N.C. state law regarding carry in parks.

Actually, IIRC you are talking about driving south from Va. Beach into N.C. and then getting the various ferries NCDOT operates. Go read their rules to be sure, although in past years I saw folks who were not very good at CCW on the ferries.

stay safe. Use sunscreen.

Chkultr

imported post

I got stopped yesterday evening on the way back from Ocracoke in the random vehicle check and was told to lock it up!

Here is a reply from a member on the NC state page. I still have not found anything...

All ferries in NC are owned and operated by NCDOT. Therefore, they would be regulated under the same laws that regulate NCDOT transportation of firearms...

HOWEVER, because they are required to submit FSP's (Facility Security Plans) to the US Coast Guard (who handles security of all ports in the USA), under MTSA (The maritime Transportation Security Act of 2002), there may be "workplace safety" clauses that prohibit owners and operators of maritime enterprises from carrying or possessing firearms. This means that the people who own or work on the ferry can't carry, (unless they are specifically designated as security personnel).

I assume that under their FSP, there might be some sort of requirement that passengers can't carry, but CAN transport per FOPA rules, but it seems to me that such a requirement might be in violation of NC's State Preemption. Perhaps a call to the NC AG may be in order, once we know what the Ferry Division's FSP states.

But under NC's law, i can't find any way for them to legally prohibit the lawful transportation or carry of firearms on a Ferry, with the exception of the Wildlife Resource Commission's rule about prohibiting loaded firearms on boat ramps, which perhaps COULD apply in this case, at least until you were 150 feet off shore...
Boating access areas are designed, constructed, and maintained by the Wildlife Resource Commission's Engineering Division for public use. Compliance with the following boating access area laws will go a long way toward keeping these areas clean, safe, and for all to enjoy. It is unlawful to:
  • Leave any vehicle, trailer, boat or other obstruction where it will impede the use of the ramp by others.
  • Park any vehicles, trailer or boat anywhere on the area other than the designated parking zone. This does not prohibit legal use of the ramp.
  • Use the area for swimming, camping, operating concessions or for any use other than the launching and recovery of boats and parking of vehicles and boat trailers, except where facilities for a particular use are provided.
  • Operate any vessel within 50 yards of the ramp at a speed greater than "No Wake" speed.
  • Possess loaded firearms on the access area.
  • Operate a vehicle on any boat access area in a manner so as to endanger life or property.
  • Deposit any debris or refuse anywhere on the grounds of the area.
  • Fail to obey any instruction or signs regulating use of the access area.
  • Conduct any special event, such as fishing tournament weigh-in, without first obtaining a letter of authorization from the Division of Engineering Services by calling (919) 707-0150. This permit must be available for inspection by wildlife enforcement officers during the event. See information about weigh-in permits here.
  • Park in handicapped space without displaying handicapped plate or sign.
However, since Ferry Landings are NOT managed or regulated under NC WRC, but rather, under NCDOT, I can't see how the NCWRC's rules could apply.

I haven't been able to locate a copy of the NCDOT Ferry Division's FSP online, so I don't know the specifics of it. However, on their website:

http://www.ncdot.org/ferry/

There is a PDF of their "Security Policy", and it makes no mention whatsoever about possession, carry or transport of firearms on Ferries. Perhaps a FOIA request is in order, or at the very least, a call to NCDOT's Ferry Division...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Who, specifically (guy who directs cars where to park, Captain of the Ferry,NCDOT LEO, guy in another car using the ferry??) told you to "lock it up" and did they give you any citation for telling you?

Not really trying to harass you but the more detail on who it was could lead to getting a definative answer to the question. Also a good reason to carry & use the digital voice recorder -I know I sometimes fail to turn it on when I "think" things could start to go south, and instead have to reach for it in the midst of a discussion.

stay safe.

Chkultr

imported post

A ferry employee. Was not the Captain. He didn't direct any cars on or off the ferry. Just went to every car and did a random vehicle inspection. He walked up to the truck writing down my lic plate #. Told me this is a random vehicle inspection and asked for my DL. Once he took down my info and how many passengers I had he asked if I had any weapons or drugs in the vehicle. I answered and the look on his face was priceless. (oh Sh%$, really) He then asked what,where, and why? Along with are you LEO or postal carrier??? He told me to lock it up and to not take it out until I got to the other side...Which would be Hatteras!

I didn't argue and once on the ferry and it was moving I retrieved it from my in the car "safe"!

I posted this on the NC forum and had gotten response I posted in my previous post.

The Wolfhound

imported post

Ok the Liberterian in me is rising, Who gave the nimrod at the ferry dock the autority to do random searches? Is this not the asumption of authority under color of law? Does anyone else see issues with constitutionality? He was not identified as a LEO. To whom was the information to be delivered, and by whom was the authorization given? What gives!?!?!?!?!?:cuss: