• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting long distance

shooter47

imported post

Does anyone know a good safe spot to shoot some long distance? (1000yds)
I get on here and look all the time so i though i would sign in on here and post.
Thanks alot for looking.!

ecocks

imported post

No real answer for you, just some thoughts.

A year or so ago there was talk that a group was planning to put together a 1000 yd. range uparound Horseshoe Bend. You might ask Cliff (at the Ponderosa Gun and Amish Quilt store in the link) or the guys who are hanging around the LongbranchSaloon on 55. They had some land scoped out and were talking about putting in a public facility.

http://www.ponderosasports.com/500%20guns%20&%20ammo.htm

It is my understanding that there was a thousand yard shoot somewhere down aroundBlacks Creek a couple of years ago. Maybe a bit further out where thatshotgun range is located?Chuck Mawhinney, one of the top5 snipers from the Vietnam era, was there and you can find pictures on the Internet if you look a little.

There has to be somewhere the Boise PDguys (see article link) and National Guard units go to practice under these conditions, I am guessing/suspecting thatmaybe the Guard Training Area out Vista Road has a spot where they can do an ad hoc setup for 1000 with a suitable backstop?

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_3_47/ai_70650324/

Porter N

imported post

I'm not sure, but I think I heard a co-worker saying he was a member of the Parma gun range? He said he was a member there because you can shoot up to 1760yds if you want.

shooter47

imported post

Well cool thanks for the replies guys. I was just on Parma Rod and Gun club site and it looks like it goes out to 550 yds. I'll have to keep an eye out. Again, Thanks for your interest.

Porter N

imported post

I could be wrong on which range.

I do know he said that the distance was around 500yds straight out but there was a lane to shoot down the range diagonally that would make it a mile long shoot.

ecocks

imported post

Today I asked at Ciff's Gun Store (Emerald and 5 Mile) about long distance ranges near Boise and was told there is one over in Oregon which has thousand yard capability (about 60 miles away). Also the comment on the Parma range was that the diagonal lane can be used at 900 yards,BUT it disrupts any group events so is rarely able to be done on weekends.

Also, there is an Egg-Shoot at the Homeland range (500 yard lane opened) on the 19th of June. $15 to enter your preferred weapon(s), several competitive categories for rifles and handguns are available and the price includes lunch (BBQ they said). $5 for non-shooters who want the lunch and to just watch.

sykosoft

imported post

The best, closest, and easiest place to shoot that far is down at the tank testing grounds below the Boise airport. Take pleasant valley rd south, past the prison, and keep going. Once you're down there, it's basically all the shooting you can do. I've shot around 500 yards no problem, could easily shoot more.

It's free, open, and clear.

Michael

shooter47

imported post

Sykosoft, you are correct. We were out there yesterday, We used to go just south of the power lines but decided to travel more south. We were easy out to 800 yds. and still had a back stop. Not a soul around either. As for the egg shoot on June 19th I'm already set to go for that.
Thanks for the input guys.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

shooter47 wrote:
Does anyone know a good safe spot to shoot some long distance? (1000yds)
I get on here and look all the time so i though i would sign in on here and post.
Thanks alot for looking.!
In Idaho? I used to drive out towards Twin Peaks and pretty much stop at random, then walk perpendicularly to the road until the shotgun hulls weren't too obvious.

I didn't often reach out 1000 yards but shot my .17 Remington at far distant jackrabbits. An instructor, that introduced me to .17, killed a coyote at a thousand rough country paces.

ecocks

imported post

shooter47 wrote:
Sykosoft, you are correct. We were out there yesterday, We used to go just south of the power lines but decided to travel more south. We were easy out to 800 yds. and still had a back stop. Not a soul around either. As for the egg shoot on June 19th I'm already set to go for that.
Anyone want to get up a car/truck/van/caravan to head down there?

ecocks

imported post

shooter47 wrote:
Anyone want to get up a car/truck/van/caravan to head down there?

ecocks

imported post

The egg shoot he is referring to over in Homedale on the 19th.

ecocks

imported post

Don't suppose there's any credible instructors over that way who teach long distance marksmanship?