• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCed to Valley Medical Center but turned away for ANOTHER REASON!

Aaron1124

imported post

My mother in law took ill last night, and was admitted to Valley Medical Center in Renton, WA. She is disabled, and has vision and hearing problems. She has a service dog at home. She called us today, and asked if we could pick up her dog for her. My wife and I picked up her dog, and headed to the hospital. I was open carrying the entire time, and was stopped in the lobby by some staff. To my surprise, they didn't even look at my firearm - instead, they told me I can't bring a dog onto their premises. I told them it was a service animal for my mother in law. They asked to see documentation or else the dog can't be there. I told them that documentation is NOT required for a service dog to enter the property. I mentioned how it's a strict policy of the Civil Rights Disability division. They swore to me that it's not, and that I'll have to take the dog out.

The entire time, they did not mention my firearm once, and I don't know if they even saw it. They were more concerned with the dog (who is a 4 lb pomeranian, by the way).

Well, I had to turn around and leave.

Aryk45XD

imported post

Maybe she needs a larger service dog. I don't know about service animals and hospitals here, but I thought if somebody needed help, the wheelchairs were free. I could be wrong and wouldn't think too much about it personally, but I would probably say it would be a cleanliness issue.

amzbrady

imported post

My wife also has a service dog.

3. Q: How can I tell if an animal is really a service animal and not just a pet?

A: Some, but not all, service animals wear special collars and harnesses. Some, but not all, are licensed or certified and have identification papers. If you are not certain that an animal is a service animal, you may ask the person who has the animal if it is a service animal required because of a disability. However, an individual who is going to a restaurant or theater is not likely to be carrying documentation of his or her medical condition or disability. Therefore, such documentation generally may not be required as a condition for providing service to an individual accompanied by a service animal. Although a number of states have programs to certify service animals, you may not insist on proof of state certification before permitting the service animal to accompany the person with a disability.

http://sdog.danawheels.net/laws/rcw991/laylaslaw.shtml

http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm

Aaron1124

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
My wife also has a service dog.

3. Q: How can I tell if an animal is really a service animal and not just a pet?

A: Some, but not all, service animals wear special collars and harnesses. Some, but not all, are licensed or certified and have identification papers. If you are not certain that an animal is a service animal, you may ask the person who has the animal if it is a service animal required because of a disability. However, an individual who is going to a restaurant or theater is not likely to be carrying documentation of his or her medical condition or disability. Therefore, such documentation generally may not be required as a condition for providing service to an individual accompanied by a service animal. Although a number of states have programs to certify service animals, you may not insist on proof of state certification before permitting the service animal to accompany the person with a disability.

http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm
Yep. I saw that. They're wrong at the hospital. What amazes me is they were more concerned with her service dog LEGALLY being on the property, when I noticed the sign on the door as I left that said "no weapons".

Aaron1124

imported post

Update: My wife stayed at the hospital. She just called me, and told me she was approached by a different security officer, telling her that he's sorry she was hassled, and they they were in the wrong for asking for documents.

Oh well. I just filed a complaint with not only the hospital, but the Washington State Attorney General. :)

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Update: My wife stayed at the hospital. She just called me, and told me she was approached by a different security officer, telling her that he's sorry she was hassled, and they they were in the wrong for asking for documents.

Oh well. I just filed a complaint with not only the hospital, but the Washington State Attorney General. :)
File a complaint with the state Human Rights Commission. They have direct authority over it.

http://www.hum.wa.gov

amzbrady

imported post

We laminated our dogs certificate and clip it on her harness. I know some people will disagree but I think it is best that documents should be shown. There are too many people walking around grocery stores with mangy flea bitten mutts who say they have service dogs. I think the system is being abused. My wife has a service dog not a guide dog, out of courtesy and health reasons she does not take hers in resturaunts and grocery stores.

Aaron1124

imported post

Gray Peterson wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:

File a complaint with the state Human Rights Commission. They have direct authority over it.

http://www.hum.wa.gov
Thanks for the info. It'd be wonderful if staff (of every business) would be aware of state and federal rules, including ADA policies. Seem like pretty important issues to me. It amazes me how many times her mother in law is hassled because people assume that a service dog is always a large, seeing eye dog.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

amzbrady wrote:
We laminated our dogs certificate and clip it on her harness. I know some people will disagree but I think it is best that documents should be shown. There are too many people walking around grocery stores with mangy flea bitten mutts who say they have service dogs. I think the system is being abused. My wife has a service dog not a guide dog, out of courtesy and health reasons she does not take hers in resturaunts and grocery stores.
This is very true and they try and take advantage of businesses. I had a gal with a puppy in my store, no leash walking around. I asked her about the dog and she said it is a service dog in training. I happen to know the law. I waited a few minutes and sure enough the dog is taking a crap on my floor. She walks away from the 'accident', so I explain to her she must take the dog outside as it is no longer in her full control. She threw a small tantrum, but she was wrong on several accounts.

I appreciate legitimate owners who either have the vest or their paperwork with them.

amzbrady

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
This is very true and they try and take advantage of businesses. I had a gal with a puppy in my store, no leash walking around. I asked her about the dog and she said it is a service dog in training. I happen to know the law. I waited a few minutes and sure enough the dog is taking a crap on my floor. She walks away from the 'accident', so I explain to her she must take the dog outside as it is no longer in her full control. She threw a small tantrum, but she was wrong on several accounts.

I appreciate legitimate owners who either have the vest or their paperwork with them.

Some laws are just left too open to be abused. This could be a very good law with a few changes.There is a galout herethat my wife first used to get her dogs certificate.It costed her $5.00 and allshe did was come to the car open the door,pull lightly on her ears, and paws, then picked her up and turned her over.Then signed the certificate. We found out that she wasnot doing state recognized service dog certificates, so my wife went to an accredited service that was recommended thru PAWS.

edited a to to too, so as not to offend the Llama guy too much. :lol:

Aaron1124

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
That is very true. A lot of people abuse the system. There are people who own dogs, that are clearly not service dogs. I know apartment complexes have a right to ask for paperwork, considering that a deposit may not be required for a service dog. What makes me mad is that a lot of people feel they're not responsible of their dog does damages inside someone elses business. "Oh well. Who cares if he just took a crap on the floor! He's a service dog!"

Or while at the movie theater "Who cares if he won't stop barking?! He's a service dog! He can!". People who really think that are very arrogant

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
That is very true. A lot of people abuse the system. There are people who own dogs, that are clearly not service dogs. I know apartment complexes have a right to ask for paperwork, considering that a deposit may not be required for a service dog. What makes me mad is that a lot of people feel they're not responsible of their dog does damages inside someone elses business. "Oh well. Who cares if he just took a crap on the floor! He's a service dog!"

Or while at the movie theater "Who cares if he won't stop barking?! He's a service dog! He can!". People who really think that are very arrogant
Service dogs are being issued for "emotional" reasons now too. People are doing this simply to get around rules. I heard of someone who did this so they can travel freely to Hawaii (which has strict dog quarantine) freely.

Aaron1124

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:
amzbrady wrote:

Service dogs are being issued for "emotional" reasons now too. People are doing this simply to get around rules. I heard of someone who did this so they can travel freely to Hawaii (which has strict dog quarantine) freely.
Did you hear about the therapy horse that a woman brought in to a Texas Target store?

Aaron1124

imported post

0324_pony450x253.jpg

http://www.txcn.com/sharedcontent/d...faa090324_wz_serviceanimalsfolo.67c58be1.html

Aaron1124

imported post

Also, people have been making the argument, saying that I wasn't discriminated against, because I'm not the disabled one, and that my mother in law was not in immediate need of her service animal. My argument back was that my mother in law was a patient in the hospital, therefore had no method of obtaining her service animal upon her discharge from hospital care. The only method to get her service animal would be to have someone bring him down to her, unless the hospital staff wants to go to her house, get her service animal, and bring him back to her before she leaves the care of the hospital.

amzbrady

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:
amzbrady wrote:

My wifes dog is a service animal just for emotional support. We didnt have any animals until her Psyciatrist suggested it. She spent alot of time looking at specific service dogs for theraputic diversion. She also takes her dog to senior homes and donates time, the little old ladies love it. It's amazing how much of a difference 10 minutes petting a dog makes in someones life who cant have an animal. My wife does not abuse the system. She thinks about how uncomfortable some people may be if she take's cookie in some place with her.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

amzbrady wrote
dog is a service animal just for emotional support. We didnt have any animals until her Psyciatrist suggested it. She spent alot of time looking at specific service dogs for theraputic diversion. She also takes her dog to senior homes and donates time, the little old ladies love it. It's amazing how much of a difference 10 minutes petting a dog makes in someones life who cant have an animal. My wife does not abuse the system. She thinks about how uncomfortable some people may be if she take's cookie in some place with her.
I have a couple of questions regarding the 'therapy' animal. Real questions.

Does the therapy animal need to be present at all times?

If not, how long away is ok? Is it ok to run into the minute mart to pay for gas and grab a soda?

Does grocery shopping require the therapy animal present? Dinner at a restaurant?

I assume an animal for therapy is different than a service animal that has been trained to perform tasks.

amzbrady

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
amzbrady wrote
dog is a service animal just for emotional support. We didnt have any animals until her Psyciatrist suggested it. She spent alot of time looking at specific service dogs for theraputic diversion. She also takes her dog to senior homes and donates time, the little old ladies love it. It's amazing how much of a difference 10 minutes petting a dog makes in someones life who cant have an animal. My wife does not abuse the system. She thinks about how uncomfortable some people may be if she take's cookie in some place with her.
I have a couple of questions regarding the 'therapy' animal. Real questions.

Does the therapy animal need to be present at all times?

If not, how long away is ok? Is it ok to run into the minute mart to pay for gas and grab a soda?

Does grocery shopping require the therapy animal present? Dinner at a restaurant?

I assume an animal for therapy is different than a service animal that has been trained to perform tasks.

For my wife, her therapy animal goes almost everywhere with her, but not in everwhere. The main purpose of her having a therapy animal is to help calm her when she starts feeling manic. She does not take her dog into places where they sell or serve food, and does not leave her dog in her car for extended periods of time, or even short times when the inclements could endanger her dog. An animal for therapy has been trained to preform a task. They stay calm and help to relax their owners.

that is just us, actually my wife, I'm not an animal person. Every situation is different, some people have kids to keep themselves busy, My wife, thank god, opted fora dog.