• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying knives

sirtirithon

imported post

I know this is a gun forum, but I'm certain most of us carry some form of blade. My EDC is a kershaw blur.I seem to recall reading somewhere that the legal blade length limitin WAis 3.5". Is this correct? I can't seem to find it in an RCW.

Most fixed blade knives are longer. So whats the deal?Can a person carry a 5" fixed blade knife in the open and not be hassled for breaking the law? Do any of you carry a blade longer than 3.5" ?

What prompted this question is that I ordered a gerber lmf ii asek knife last week and I intend to wear it when I go for hikes after work. The blade is over 4.5" long. If I am questioned by a LEO for OC my firearm and they notice that I am also carrying a blade longer than 3.5" could I be in hot water?

Thanks for any information!

Tawnos

imported post

sirtirithon wrote:
I know this is a gun forum, but I'm certain most of us carry some form of blade. My EDC is a kershaw blur.I seem to recall reading somewhere that the legal blade length limitin WAis 3.5". Is this correct? I can't seem to find it in an RCW.

Most fixed blade knives are longer. So whats the deal?Can a person carry a 5" fixed blade knife in the open and not be hassled for breaking the law? Do any of you carry a blade longer than 3.5" ?

What prompted this question is that I ordered a gerber lmf ii asek knife last week and I intend to wear it when I go for hikes after work. The blade is over 4.5" long. If I am questioned by a LEO for OC my firearm and they notice that I am also carrying a blade longer than 3.5" could I be in hot water?

Thanks for any information!
I don't know of any statewide blade length limitation. The federal pocket knife exemption is 2.5", and there's no preemption, so each city may have its own knife rules.

j2l3

imported post

As said previously, each city has authority to regulate this for themselves. You need to check your local codes to know for sure.

jchen012

imported post

There is no state law that addresses blade length. Therefore you can carry any length concealed in the eyes of the state, but you are at the mercy of city codes. I know that Seattle has a 3.5" or less for concealed knives. Can't find any info on other cities.

Tomas

imported post

(Knife laws in Washington State are an insane patchwork with no statewide standard - and no preemption. Each little city, town and village can, and often does, have it's own "laws" on that. Personally I have carried a knife since I got my very first folder when I first joined the Cub Scouts in the early '50s. http://tijil.org/cub_scout_knife.jpg Yes, I carried that Cub Scout knife to elementary school for years, concealed, and even used it on the occasional classroom project with the teacher's full knowledge when I need a cutting edge for something. Speaking of insanity, these days carrying a knife like that would get me kicked out of school. I still carry a pocket knife sharp enough to shave with, but these days it is my favorite Paul knife. http://tijil.org/gerber_paul.jpg )

Tomas

imported post

jchen012 wrote:
There is no state law that addresses blade length. Therefore you can carry any length concealed in the eyes of the state, but you are at the mercy of city codes. I know that Seattle has a 3.5" or less for concealed knives. Can't find any info on other cities.
Just to add to the info, Tacoma Municipal Code Section 8.66 covers Tacoma's rules on knives and among many other considers any knife with more than a 3 1/2 inch blade, including shank, to be a "dangerous knife."*

See: http://cms.cityoftacoma.org/cityclerk/Files/MunicipalCode/Title08-PublicSafetyAndMorals.PDF

(It strikes me that my old USAF survival knife I brought back from Vietnam would be a "dangerous knife" in Tacoma if I sawed the blade off at the hilt and just kept the handle, as the shank is considerably longer than 3.5 inches... These damned laws are insane.)

Aaron1124

imported post

There are no state laws on blade length. The law tells you that you can not furtively carry specific weapons, with swords, daggers, certain fixed blades, and some other weapons. There's no law against how long your folding pocket knife may be. I carry a 4.5" smith and wesson folding blade.

However, certain cities, such as Seattle, Tacoma, and I believe Olympia have local ordinances against blade length. Seattle does not allow the carry of ANY fixed blade, regardless of if it's open or concealed. Their folding blade limit is 3.5", I believe. Same with Tacoma. Not sure about Olympia, but I do believe that they have a blade length limit as well.

It's kind of a pain. I think folding pocket knives should also be included in the preemption, because I don't like the fact that I'm perfectly within state law to carry my pocket knife mostly anywhere in the state, but if I go to Seattle, Tacoma or Olympia, then I'm breaking the law. Thankfully, most cities simply adopt state law on the issue.

geojohn

imported post

FWIW, there is a growing organization, that among other things, is working to establish state knife preemption, just like many states have with respect to firearms: http://kniferights.org/

Doug Ritter, who also runs the excellent Equipped to Survive web site (http://www.equipped.com) is behind this.

The time is probably not right for Washington now, but when it is it will be good to know that there are folks with the experience to help.

Aaron1124

imported post

geojohn wrote:
FWIW, there is a growing organization, that among other things, is working to establish state knife preemption, just like many states have with respect to firearms: http://kniferights.org/

Doug Ritter, who also runs the excellent Equipped to Survive web site (http://www.equipped.com) is behind this.

The time is probably not right for Washington now, but when it is it will be good to know that there are folks with the experience to help.
Cool. Thanks for sharing the site.

Metal_Monkey

imported post

Don't carry a knife in Lake Stevens....Snohomish officers did a number taking mine during Aquafest...Was just a normal Gerber one, but the LSPD....not even worth it. Celori is an assbag.

killchain

imported post

Tomas wrote:
(Knife laws in Washington State are an insane patchwork with no statewide standard - and no preemption. Each little city, town and village can, and often does, have it's own "laws" on that. Personally I have carried a knife since I got my very first folder when I first joined the Cub Scouts in the early '50s. http://tijil.org/cub_scout_knife.jpg Yes, I carried that Cub Scout knife to elementary school for years, concealed, and even used it on the occasional classroom project with the teacher's full knowledge when I need a cutting edge for something. Speaking of insanity, these days carrying a knife like that would get me kicked out of school. I still carry a pocket knife sharp enough to shave with, but these days it is my favorite Paul knife. http://tijil.org/gerber_paul.jpg )
The knife laws suck. I don't understand why WA preemption doesn't cover them as well, and why we can't have a CWP that covers it.

I don't personally carry a knife, but I do carry a Leatherman Wave that I've caught guff for. My wife has illegally carried her scary cub scout knife that her Father the Scoutmaster gave her when she was a little girl... which I've used to open many things while out because I didn't bring mine. :p

Aaron1124

imported post

killchain wrote:
Tomas wrote:
The knife laws suck. I don't understand why WA preemption doesn't cover them as well, and why we can't have a CWP that covers it.

I don't personally carry a knife, but I do carry a Leatherman Wave that I've caught guff for. My wife has illegally carried her scary cub scout knife that her Father the Scoutmaster gave her when she was a little girl... which I've used to open many things while out because I didn't bring mine. :p
I don't think we should even have a CWP to conceal them. I think we should be able to carry whatever knife or blade we want to carry, concealed or openly.

sirtirithon

imported post

Thanks for the information! I figure I will continue to carry my legal kershaw blur and carry the gerber lmf when I'm hiking outside of town. I don't think I will get hassled at all out in the woods with a fixed blade on. I agree that we should be able to carry whatever blade we want. Especially considering that it's legal to pack a loaded .45 around in the open without a permit but you can't carry a 4" knife in most cities? what gives? And if nothing else if you have a CCW it should include bladed weapons. Oh well.

Aaron1124

imported post

sirtirithon wrote:
Thanks for the information! I figure I will continue to carry my legal kershaw blur and carry the gerber lmf when I'm hiking outside of town. I don't think I will get hassled at all out in the woods with a fixed blade on. I agree that we should be able to carry whatever blade we want. Especially considering that it's legal to pack a loaded .45 around in the open without a permit but you can't carry a 4" knife in most cities? what gives? And if nothing else if you have a CCW it should include bladed weapons. Oh well.
You *can* carry a 4" knife in most cities. There's only a select few cities with blade length restrictions.

amzbrady

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
killchain wrote:
Tomas wrote:

I don't think we should even have a CWP to conceal them. I think we should be able to carry whatever knife or blade we want to carry, concealed or openly.
+1 Thats a better thought, because in theory if every US citizen legally able to do so,armed themselves and carried a firearm, no knife would be an issue.

Aaron1124

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:
killchain wrote:
Tomas wrote:

+1 Thats a better thought, because in theory if every US citizen legally able to do so,armed themselves and carried a firearm, no knife would be an issue.
I'd still want one, though. I'd feel more comfortable with a blade in a close quarters situation, or in a situation that involved multiple attackers, if, God forbid, I was ever in such a situation.