• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC

MikeDonat

imported post

A friend and I have been visiting this site for quite some time after I had learned in Nevada you only had to be 18 to open carry. We have both grown up around guns our whole lives from hunting which branched off to shooting as a sport in general. My friend recently purchased a Smith & Wesson M&P, actually his father had purchased it for him beings that we are 19, and was then "given" to him by his dad. My mother on the other hand is a strong supporter of me OCing. My mother at one time held a CCW for California as it was a program offered through her work beings that she worked for a state prison. Her only concern is if there was ever a situation (which hopefully there never is) where I had to use the firearm to defend myself, If she would be liable for anything that happened because I am not of age (19) and she would have to purchase the firearm.
Could she purchase the firearm under her name and then sell it to me as a private transaction which to my understanding you only have to be 18 to lawfully purchase and possess:question:
I apologize if there was a better spot to post this, or if their was a similar topic already answered that i must have missed, but any help would be appreciated.
-Mike

MK

imported post

I don't know about your state's laws but if giving you the weapon is perfectly legal, I don't see how she could be held liable for any of your actions since you are an adult.

If you obtain it illegally from her, or she has reason to belive youhad intent to commit a crimethat could be a different story though. That's just my own personal thoughts on that subject.

It is a good idea to be familiar with the laws as best you can if you are going to carry a firearm in public. Google can work wonders when helping to look up laws, as well as case law in helping to answer your questions. Even if someone on a forum or in any person to person conversation tells you something, its your responsibility to yourself to research it and be sure to the best of your abilities.

Many times you will find that people on these forums, police officers or your aquaintances will have something wrong.

MikeDonat

imported post

I don't plan on OCing until I am comfortable with my knowledge of the laws. I was hoping someone may come across my post with a similar experience and information on how or what they did. I figured this could be a start.
thanks, Mike

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I was given a handgun for my 18th birthday, and since then I have also purchased handguns on the internet from locals and met them face to face for the actual transaction. (I'm currently 20).

In Nevada it is legal for anyone to buy, sell, or give away a firearm to other Nevada residents so long as you are not doing it so often that the ATF would require you get a federal firearms license.

It would be legal for someone who owns a firearm to give it as a gift for someone else as long as the other person can legally own the firearm.

It is also legal for someone to purchase a firearm, and then later decide he did not want it and sell it to someone that was legally able to possess it.

In Nevada you can legally possess and purchase a handgun at the age of 18.

The Federal government prohibits a dealer from selling handguns directly to a person under the age of 21. Seemingly, the intent of the law is to annoy people.