• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Voting for Harry Reid?

Gundude

imported post

[align=left]Judy Wallman, a professional genealogy researcher in southern California , was doing some personal work on her own family tree. She discovered thatCongressman Harry Reid's great-great uncle, Remus Reid, was hanged for horse stealing and train robbery in Montana in 1889. Both Judy andHarry Reidshare this common ancestor[/align]
[align=left]The only known photograph of Remus shows him standing on the gallows in Montana territory:[/align]

[align=left]On the back ofthe picture Judy obtained during her research is this inscription: 'Remus Reid,horse thief, sent to Montana Territorial Prison 1885, escaped 1887, robbed the Montana Flyer six times. Caught by Pinkerton detectives, convicted and hanged in 1889.'[/align]
[align=left]So Judy recently e-mailed Congressman Harry Reid for information about their great-great uncle.[/align]
[align=left]Harry Reid:[/align]
[align=left]Believe it or not, Harry Reid's staff sent back the following biographical sketch for her genealogy research:
[/align]
[align=left]"Remus Reid was a famous cowboy in the Montana Territory . His business empire grew to include acquisition of valuable equestrian assets and intimate dealings with the Montana railroad. Beginning in 1883, he devoted several years of his life to government service, finally taking leave to resume his dealings with the railroad. In 1887, he was a key player in a vital investigation run by the renownedPinkerton Detective Agency. In 1889, Remus passed away during an important civic function held in his honor when the platform upon which he was standing collapsed."[/align]

[align=left]NOW THAT's how it's done, Folks![/align]
[align=left]That's real POLITICAL SPIN[/align]

28kfps

imported post

I did a little research on this when I saw it some time ago if I remember correctly most of this is false.

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

This is not true just like it was not true about Hillary Clinton, Al Gore or George W. Bush. The essence of this story is from an old piece of humorous writing that was designed to demonstrate how you can put "spin" on a negative story to make it sound positive. For example Remus fell off of a platform at a civic function instead of being hanged. Someone altered the story to make it seem as though it was talking about an ancestor of Al Gore. Then another version got started saying it was about an ancestor of Hillary Clinton and George W. Bush. Now there is a version making the rounds saying it is about Senator Harry Reid.:exclaim: