• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

can they take your guns?

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bankruptcy law for the State of Nevada states:

NRS 21.090 Property Exemption from Execution:
(i) All arms, uniforms and accouterments required by law to be kept by any person, and also one gun, to be selected by the debtor.

You may keep a single gun during liquidation of your property. One option might be to sell or pawn all your current guns and purchase a single, expensive gun while going through bankruptcy, and then convert back once your debt is discharged.

There are guns that will fit just about any size or value collection. Just check out this $190,000 gun:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=171470655

Then again, doing the above may constitute fraud. Since I'm neither an attorney, nor experienced in the bankruptcy process, this is something you will want to discuss with your bankruptcy attorney beforehand to avoid any hint of wrongdoing.

Tim

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

well i have everything paid off truck 5 th wheel i live in and im not close to bankruptcy yet but i have over 10g in credit car debt and unless unemployment keeps paying im going to file by the end of the year

1 gun but what if you have a few that you bought face to face how can they know you have them

jfrey123

imported post

erichonda30 wrote:
1 gun but what if you have a few that you bought face to face how can they know you have them
Aren't you required to list all possible assets during that bankruptcy? There are huge legal differences in 'guns they don't know about' and 'guns you don't tell them about.' I believe continuing this conversation in a public forum is unwise.

jpa

imported post

For only $10k in credit card debt, there are a lot less damaging options than a bk. Is it all one card or several? I owed $20k to Bank of America alone...when I couldn't pay anymore they offered to settle the whole debt for $5k. I was able to get a family loan from mom and paid it. Technically you'll have to pay income tax on the forgiven debt, but being unemployed shouldn't be hard to show that you're indigent or close to it.

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

jpa wrote:
For only $10k in credit card debt, there are a lot less damaging options than a bk. Is it all one card or several? I owed $20k to Bank of America alone...when I couldn't pay anymore they offered to settle the whole debt for $5k. I was able to get a family loan from mom and paid it. Technically you'll have to pay income tax on the forgiven debt, but being unemployed shouldn't be hard to show that you're indigent or close to it.

i have heard of that they settle for pennies on the dollar but i think they will find out somehow what assets you have and if you have a house they may put a lein on it

but i live in a 5th wheel and rent a space to park it my truck is still worth 40k

also i hoping construction will pick up or maybe the california solar plants will start

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
imported post

timf343 wrote:
You may keep a single gun during liquidation of your property. One option might be to sell or pawn all your current guns and purchase a single, expensive gun while going through bankruptcy, and then convert back once your debt is discharged.

Then again, doing the above may constitute fraud.
It DEFINITELY constitutes fraud -- it is an attempt to shield assets which legally should go to pay your debts. Getting caught can also mean NOT getting bankruptcy protection.

Even an innocent, aboveboard transaction done before any plan to file bankruptcy may get you in trouble, if it appears to be an attempt to hide your money, so it doesn't matter HOW long you have been wanting that gold-inlaid pistol straight out of the vault and to the estate sale, selling the rest of your guns to buy it can still look fishy.

It is common for companies about the be left holding the back for a lot of debt (10K isn't all that much) to have the debtor followed as soon as there is the hint of bankruptcy, watching to see if he has stuff stored, if he takes things out of (or puts them into) the house, etc. Bank, phone and employer records may be subpoenaed, but the real killer is when they hand out photos of that big-ticket item which the debtor treats as property, but which isn't on the asset list. Private investigators love moments like that, the same way Homicide detectives love seeing that same look in the eyes of their suspects.

DVC

imported post

erichonda30 wrote:
but i live in a 5th wheel and rent a space to park it my truck is still worth 40k
You won't be able to declare bankruptcy, if your debt is $10K and your truck is worth $40K. You are considered able to pay your debts -- and you ARE.

My advice: Sell the truck. Take whatever loss you have to (though it sounds like you have some time to get a good deal on it), buy a cheap truck and pay your debt. Since you're not in a hurry to sell the truck, you will get more -- then turn around and find someone who needs a fast $4K for something that will do the job for you, while you make your best deals with the card companies.

Not only will you feel better about it, you will also not take the hit on your financial record that comes with bankruptcy.

If you have several cards to worry about, go to the one with the least debt, make your best deal, pay that off, then go to the next-smallest, same story.

Consider also that there is a LOT of empty desert. You can give up the paid space and go dry camp for a few days, haul into town (or the nearest rest area) to dump your holding tanks, then go back out onto the dirt. Mash your trash, bag it, haul it to the dump.

One guy I know bought a small "recreational" lot on ebay, 5 miles from town, and put in a small septic system (enough for his RV). He has solar panels and a small genset, pulls a water tank trailer into town to fill up, and the whole setup cost him less than four months RV park rental -- INCLUDING the land.

10K really isn't a lot of debt, way below the average. You can work your way out of it.

Nevada carrier

imported post

There are a lot of procedures in place to detect fraud such as this. for instance, My fathers health is deteriorating and we now at some point his financial resources will run out leaving his medical care to the state of California. In order for him to be approved for Medi-Cal, we have to hand over bank records so they can check to see if large sums of money have been moved out of his name that could have otherwise have been used to support his health care needs.

if I where an autitor and saw that a year ago you sold 4 of these:
24-7_40BP-15.jpg

to buy 1 of these
945SSPRL.jpg

I would make you sell the nickel plated sissy pistol and buy one of these:
220023_01_sm.jpg

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

i think i read nevada you can keep a vehicle up to 15,000 in value but try finding a dually diesel that cheap THAT IS RELIABLE with a hitch to tow my 5th wheel

will a credit card company realy hire a private investigator?

if so im hooking up and heading to mexico

Mo

Banned
imported post

DVC wrote:
You won't be able to declare bankruptcy, if your debt is $10K and your truck is worth $40K. You are considered able to pay your debts -- and you ARE.

My advice: Sell the truck. Take whatever loss you have to (though it sounds like you have some time to get a good deal on it), buy a cheap truck and pay your debt. Since you're not in a hurry to sell the truck, you will get more -- then turn around and find someone who needs a fast $4K for something that will do the job for you, while you make your best deals with the card companies.

Not only will you feel better about it, you will also not take the hit on your financial record that comes with bankruptcy.

If you have several cards to worry about, go to the one with the least debt, make your best deal, pay that off, then go to the next-smallest, same story.

Consider also that there is a LOT of empty desert. You can give up the paid space and go dry camp for a few days, haul into town (or the nearest rest area) to dump your holding tanks, then go back out onto the dirt. Mash your trash, bag it, haul it to the dump.

One guy I know bought a small "recreational" lot on ebay, 5 miles from town, and put in a small septic system (enough for his RV). He has solar panels and a small genset, pulls a water tank trailer into town to fill up, and the whole setup cost him less than four months RV park rental -- INCLUDING the land.

10K really isn't a lot of debt, way below the average. You can work your way out of it.

What he said. Owning a 40K truck in this situation is insane.

DVC

imported post

erichonda30 wrote:
i think i read nevada you can keep a vehicle up to 15,000 in value but try finding a dually diesel that cheap THAT IS RELIABLE with a hitch to tow my 5th wheel

I passed a couple of them by in November for under $4000. Get on crazedlist.org (this is a site that lets you search multiple Craigslist sites at the same time) and look around.

You have one major advantage, being in Nevada. Vehicles last FOREVER. Just a quick look at the Reno and LV ads, I see plenty of good possibilities under $10K, some under $6K -- and that's the ASKING price, you wave money at them and you can get a good one under $5K.

Check this one: http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/1763830108.html

Let's say you ended up selling your $40K truck for $30K. You buy a $5K truck, you negotiate your debts down from $10K to $8K and pay them off. That leaves you with SEVENTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS IN THE BANK, plus ALL OF YOUR GUNS and NO DEBT.

Sure, a $5K truck won't be as pretty as a $40K truck, but you can't eat scenery.

For $10K, all they will do is hound you -- but a bankruptcy court will get your bank records, and the credit card people know where you spent the money, so you really can't make the case that you don't have anything for the court to sell and pay them off. One way or the other, they will get their money, probably by taking your truck -- wouldn't you really rather arrange it yourself?

BTW, in case you think I'm being holier-than-thou, maybe I should mention that I got my familiarity with bankruptcy firsthand -- and that was in 1994, when it was better for the broke guy than it is now.

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

DVC wrote:
erichonda30 wrote:

I passed a couple of them by in November for under $4000. Get on crazedlist.org (this is a site that lets you search multiple Craigslist sites at the same time) and look around.

You have one major advantage, being in Nevada. Vehicles last FOREVER. Just a quick look at the Reno and LV ads, I see plenty of good possibilities under $10K, some under $6K -- and that's the ASKING price, you wave money at them and you can get a good one under $5K.

Check this one: http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/1763830108.html

Let's say you ended up selling your $40K truck for $30K. You buy a $5K truck, you negotiate your debts down from $10K to $8K and pay them off. That leaves you with SEVENTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS IN THE BANK, plus ALL OF YOUR GUNS and NO DEBT.

Sure, a $5K truck won't be as pretty as a $40K truck, but you can't eat scenery.

For $10K, all they will do is hound you -- but a bankruptcy court will get your bank records, and the credit card people know where you spent the money, so you really can't make the case that you don't have anything for the court to sell and pay them off. One way or the other, they will get their money, probably by taking your truck -- wouldn't you really rather arrange it yourself?

BTW, in case you think I'm being holier-than-thou, maybe I should mention that I got my familiarity with bankruptcy firsthand -- and that was in 1994, when it was better for the broke guy than it is now.

i did some reading and bush signed some bs about passing a means test otherwise you cant qualify for bankrupcty

the banks win we lose

DVC

imported post

erichonda30 wrote:
i did some reading and bush signed some bs about passing a means test otherwise you cant qualify for bankrupcty

the banks win we lose
Well, unless someone held a gun to your head, you are the one who put yourself into debt in the first place. You are the one who bought a truck worth 4 times that debt, plus however many guns you are trying not to lose in bankruptcy.

Sounds to me like it's time to man up, sell the truck and pay your debt, instead of complaining that the banks you borrowed the money from want you to pay it back. I've showed you how you can do that and come out ahead, but the choice is yours.

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

13 more weeks of nevada unemployment:celebrate

im good for that much longer

hopefully vegas will build that stadium and get some of these projects rolling

Nevada carrier

imported post

If all else fails you can always sell bottles of watter for $1 on the pedestrian crossings, sell nightclub passes on the strip or dress up like Davey Jones and hustle tourists for a tip to have their picture taken with you...

Just kidding. Times are tough as hell right now I seem to see a new hustle every day.

kdt1970

imported post

DVC wrote:
Well, unless someone held a gun to your head, you are the one who put yourself into debt in the first place. You are the one who bought a truck worth 4 times that debt,

This kind of logic is all wrong. Im am sure this person bought these things while employed and was able to make the payments, then life happened and he lost his job.

If this was the way everyone thought, then nobody should ever but a single thing, just incase life hits you and bankruptcy is your only option.

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

yes exactly and i also took out my annuity that took 8 years to get where it was to pay my 50000 truck off which i didnt have to do

and the bank industry caused this whole mess

vegas was hit hard and now theres at least 5 billion $ worth of work shut down

as far as construction goes theres not to many places that have work

i feel bad for the people in the gulf coast getting screwed over by big oil companies that whole are will never be right

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

Nevada carrier wrote:
If all else fails you can always sell bottles of watter for $1 on the pedestrian crossings, sell nightclub passes on the strip or dress up like Davey Jones and hustle tourists for a tip to have their picture taken with you...

Just kidding. Times are tough as hell right now I seem to see a new hustle every day.

are you a 357 electrician?

i was thinking i need to open up a brothel theres already 2 down the road from the rv park im staying at

DVC

imported post

kdt1970 wrote:
DVC wrote:
Well, unless someone held a gun to your head, you are the one who put yourself into debt in the first place. You are the one who bought a truck worth 4 times that debt,

This kind of logic is all wrong. Im am sure this person bought these things while employed and was able to make the payments, then life happened and he lost his job.

If this was the way everyone thought, then nobody should ever but a single thing, just incase life hits you and bankruptcy is your only option.
He has a truck worth FORTY THOUSAND DOLLARS. He only owes a fraction of what that's worth, so selling it would clear the books AND give him thousands of dollars more than he owes to put in the bank!

It doesn't matter how employed or unemployed he is -- HE put himself into debt Instead, he is condemning the banks that loaned him the money that he asked for.

This may not be as far, but it is certainly the same road as someone hiring armed bodyguards, then condemning guns.

BTW, I am just as unemployed as he is. I have no debt, only monthly expenses. I have no credit cards, only a debit card that works like Visa if I need it to. I don't buy stuff that I can't pay for, and I follow the dictum of "Love people, not things" -- I'm selling off stuff that I don't need. I'm getting by, and I don't have collection agencies after me.

If I can do it, he can do it, and I didn't get to start with a $40,000 truck to sell at the beginning of summer. I've never even owned an AIRPLANE that cost $40,000!