• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Frustrated neighborhood and burglaries: 'Call 911 and get out your gun!'

Dave Workman

imported post

Frustrated neighborhood reacts to burglaries: 'Call 911 and get out your gun!'

When it appeared recently that daytime residential burglaries had spiked in one particular neighborhood a couple living there did something that one might not expect from Seattle-area residents. They posted signs, in both English and Spanish, alerting neighbors to “Call 911 and get out your guns.”

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m6d1-Frustrated-neighborhood-reacts-to-burglaries-Call-911-and-get-out-your-guns

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/2ay7hul

fire suppressor

imported post

Saw this story on the news and was all for it! I'm not encouraging people to shoot anyone no amount of theft could ever justify taking a life. Material possessions can always be replaced but I think it is a good deterrent. Any other thoughts?

amzbrady

imported post

fire suppressor wrote:
Saw this story on the news and was all for it! I'm not encouraging people to shoot anyone no amount of theft could ever justify taking a life. Material possessions can always be replaced but I think it is a good deterrent. Any other thoughts?

I'm tossed on this. Yes a human life is worth more than material possessions, but a human life who disregards those who work hard for their possessions are worth a lot less as far as I'm concerned.

I say we should be able to fire on thieves but only if they have our stuff in their hands. I dont like part about not being able to shoot ifthey are running away thing either, I'm too fat to catch up to them and get back in front of them. BTW - I went out to my motorhome today to start it and let it run a bit, and found my half tank of gas reading empty. I'm PO'ed. Thats approximatly 37 gallons of gas gone. Maybe I'll feel better if I can get to the range soon and at least shoot something.

JOESEEB

imported post

I agree that a possession is not as important as a human life.

Now is whereI regress. I live in Vancouver WA, over memorial weekend in my apartment complex alone we had 5 cars broke in to in one night. From these cars 5 CD players and 2 car batteries (yes car batteries) where taken. To make things better the criminal puke that did this came back the next night and tried to enter one of my neighbors apartments through his 13 year old daughter’s bedroom window.

This is the part where I get involved. That same night they also tried to pop the screen on my bedroom window and my 4 year old daughter’s window. To top things off they stole my 2 year old son’s brand new bike that he only got to sit on twice (he is very sad about it). Now I know "you shouldn't have left it outside unlocked". But the fact of the matter is that I shouldn’t have to worry about locking it up. And I have left my daughter’s bike outside for the last 2 years unlocked and it has never been stolen

So I have decided to take steps to prevent this stuff from happening again. I will be installing ear drum buster alarms on all the windows (my kids windows first) as well as doing a patrol every night before i go to bed around 9 o 'clock and one around 2 o'clock in the morning.

This is where it gets real interesting. Today was the first patrol that I did nothing out of the ordinary this morning but when I got home from work my wife informed me that last night’s these scumbags came back around 10:30-11:00pm and tried to open the doors on my van. Our complex assistant manager saw him and called the cops. Apparently there were 3 guys roaming the grounds. The cops where called but they only found one of them who claimed to live here (turns out there is a person that lives in the apartment he told the police that goes by the name he gave. The whole ordeal with the police didn’t go anywhere. So I’m doing what every god fearing father would do boosting the security of my apartment and do armed patrols.

Our complex has security but they are not on site they just do patrols by car several times a day (lot of good that’s doing). In the 4 years I have lived here I have had my car broken in to 3 times so far and now it seems they want in my apartment. And to that all I can say is “7.62mm full metal jacket”. To be honest with you I’m the most patient person anyone could meet. You could walk up and stab me and I’d probably just smiles at you and say thank you. But when it comes to the safety of my children and the safety of my pregnant wife, or the safety of my friends and neighbors that is where I draw the line______________________________________________________________________________

See the line. It really makes me mad when people try to mess with children.

So now for the part where I contradict myself, possessions can be worth human life if the creep’s stealing your stuff gets the guts to break in to your home. How do you know what their intent is when they come through a 4 year olds little girls window?

Sorry for ranting on and on and on and on but I had to get it off my chest to make room for more mags. I have only one question and that is. Is it legal for me to carry my M4 out to check on my van and then around my apartment? I live here it is my place of dwelling and as long as I’m not just walking around the whole complex it should be ok as long as I’m just checking my stuff right?...... I’m guessing the answer is no that is why I haven’t done it yet but I would like to know because I’m way more comfortable with it then my .45 acp. Plus it has all the toys on it.

Oh and one more thing. there was how ever some good that came out of all this. The father of the 13 year old girl who i have know for about 3 and a half years. He stopped me about a year ago while I was ocing and asked me if it was real then he started going on about the 20/20 program they aired and told me he was concerened for the saftey of the children in the complex. he told me he didnt understand why i felt it was neccicary to go to the store "strappin" I gave him a oc pamphlet that I just happend to grab before leaving that day. and explained everything i could. after that he really didnt talk to me much but he would always say hi. well as of this weakends crime spree he and his wife asked my for info of gun laws and they are planing on buying a firearm to protect ther apartment with.

It amazes me how someone can bad mouth somthing they dont understand untill they feel threated and then all the suddenit slaps them in the face and there a supporter over night.

Glock17

imported post

Change the order and I think its great. Get your gun and call 911. If you have a shotgun most likely the perp will leave unless he is nuts.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

fire suppressor wrote:
While your sentiment is admirable.... I am not a mind reader and I have no idea what the perpetrator is thinking or planning when entering my home.... I always assume the worst when a bad guy enters my home and give him my best. Two rounds center mass and if he still coming at me... one in the noggin.

Preserving the lives of my family are my first priority... and if it means a couple dead robbers... so be it.

Metalhead47

imported post

JOESEEB wrote:
Sorry for ranting on and on and on and on but I had to get it off my chest to make room for more mags. I have only one question and that is. Is it legal for me to carry my M4 out to check on my van and then around my apartment? I live here it is my place of dwelling and as long as I’m not just walking around the whole complex it should be ok as long as I’m just checking my stuff right?...... I’m guessing the answer is no that is why I haven’t done it yet but I would like to know because I’m way more comfortable with it then my .45 acp. Plus it has all the toys on it.

Legal? Yes, technically. Also likely to get you into trouble. I forget if it's Spencer or Cassad but one of those court cases involved a guy who was convicted of unlawful display under 9.41.270 for walking down the street, in a bad neighborhood, with an AK-47 on his shoulder. You'd have a hard time arguing about "warrants alarm" with a gun in-hand. You could also be announcing to the punks casing the joint that there's big valuable guns to be found at your house, might not be wise. I'd say drop some cash on a couple hundred rounds for your 45 and get comfortable with it, that you can walk around with in a holster and not get troubled. And keep the 7.62 (an M4 that takes 7.62?:uhoh:) ready to go by your bedside.

My two cents on the "property is not worth a life" thing: bullshit.

I am not contesting the laws as currently written, I'm familiar with the legal justifications for the use of deadly force in this state. I am not advocating vigilantism or violating any law. But my property is my property. I should be able to defend it in any manner I see fit. Spare me the "it can always be replaced," that's bull. The time and effort I took into earning that property cannot be replaced. The time & effort I spent making it mine cannot be replaced. The sense of violation I feel after it's tampered with can never be un-learned. Theft is not a crime of passion, or desperation. Not in this day & age. If I find someone trying to steal even the crap from my septic tank I have every moral & ethical (not legal) right to drop them where they stand. They chose to come onto my property. They chose to violate my possessions. With malice of forethought and conscious decision, knowing right & wrong full well, they chose to violate my property. At any point up until then they could have chosen more wisely and left, but once the choice is made, so are the consequences.

Now, if I look out the window & find someone actually stealing the crap from my septic tank, am I going to shoot them? Of course not, I have no legal right to do that under the current system of laws, and I too am aware of what consequences that bad choice would bring. But they would be staring down a 12 guage barrel at a load of buckshot while we wait for the sheriff to show up. If they are on my property without my permission, I have reason to believe they intend to do me & my family harm.

Now, popping the bugger once in the leg for tearing up the garden that's above the septic tank in order to rob it, that's another matter entirely. :lol:

amzbrady

imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
fire suppressor wrote:
While your sentiment is admirable.... I am not a mind reader and I have no idea what the perpetrator is thinking or planning when entering my home.... I always assume the worst when a bad guy enters my home and give him my best. Two rounds center mass and if he still coming at me... one in the noggin.

Preserving the lives of my family are my first priority... and if it means a couple dead robbers... so be it.
See, now thats the way it should be. If someone doesnt care enough about your private property, that should be reason enough. If he didnt steal something this time or turned and fled, what to say he wont come back tomorrow, or in an hour, or 2 minutes after getting his own gun or friends from the car? Maybe it should all be about an inside thing and an outside thing. If someone steals a garden nome from outside, so be it. If someone steals a flip flop from inside your house then it's on.

skiingislife725

imported post

JOESEEB wrote:
So now for the part where I contradict myself, possessions can be worth human life if the creep’s stealing your stuff gets the guts to break in to your home. How do you know what their intent is when they come through a 4 year olds little girls window?

That's not really a contradiction, it IS impossible to predict the intent of someone breaking into an apartment versus a van. The two situations are completely different.

Is it legal for me to carry my M4 out to check on my van and then around my apartment?

You can open carry whatever you want, so long as don't carry
in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons" (RCW 9.41.270)
It amazes me how someone can bad mouth somthing they dont understand untill they feel threated and then all the suddenit slaps them in the face and there a supporter over night.
People tend not to be proactive about things until it hits them in the face. They don't learn how to invest until they've lost their retirement and they don't learn how to eat right until they've had a heart attack. Related to that, I always have to laugh to myself when I see someone that practices all the time with their handgun, but is more likely to die of heart failure instead.

JOESEEB

imported post

And keep the 7.62 (an M4 that takes 7.62?:uhoh:) ready to go by your bedside.

I did not intend for anyone to think my m4 takes 7.62 i was just quoting the movie Full metal Jacket. sorry for the confusion.

I am comferatable with my .45 just not as much as my m4. I carry every day just not at work (i work in oregon). but your right it would let people know that I have guns. these pukes seem very speratic in there crimes there is not any order to it except they have targeted our complex.

I had intended on having my m4 slung over my sholde but I dont think ill do that. thanks for the advice.

fire suppressor

imported post

I should be able to defend it in any manner I see fit. Spare me the "it can always be replaced," that's bull. The time and effort I took into earning that property cannot be replaced. The time & effort I spent making it mine cannot be replaced. The sense of violation I feel after it's tampered with can never be un-learned. Theft is not a crime of passion, or desperation. Not in this day & age. If I find someone trying to steal even the crap from my septic tank I have every moral & ethical (not legal) right to drop them where they stand.
Wrong. You are going to tell me that your $800.00 TV from Walmart is worth more in this world than a human life? Wrong. Despite the fact that generally speacking only scum bags steal and a world with one less scum bag is a better place to live somthing so insignificant as a Koren made TV is not worth taking away a life. Your right your time and effort cant be replaced but you know what? You go back to work you pay your taxes and you buy another one. And you feel good about your self while you do it knowing you are helping to stimulate the economy. If somone is in your house or intimidating you or your family then yes you pull the trigger until the gun goes click and then you reload.

And you definitely have no moral or ethical right to kill over possessions. If you want to hold them at gun point and push the barrel into there head until the police get there that's your duty to do so if you feel fit but to "drop them where they stand" is a execution and unjust one at that. As for your sense of violation, you are not stopping the crime. Kill a man or not your house was still broken into, your car still stolen so how does killing someone change that? It doesn't. Killing will not prevent or fix the problem it already happened. You would only be adding to the problem.

To have to balls to say "Theft is not a crime of passion, or desperation. Not in this day & age" is bull. Im calling bull s^&t on that! Believe it or not there are still poor people in America that do still resort to criminal acts to support there family. But don't take my word for it I've only been working in the streets for eight years now. Not like I would have any first hand experiences of why people do stupid thing right?
You are to fast to justify your actions. Regardless of who you think you have a right to shoot over things that honestly don't mean anything in life you are wrong.

Until you have have the experience of watching someone die slowly from a GSW, until you see the blood, hear the screams and really really understand what you are making that person go through and see first hand how it affects the victims family and the immediate community you have no right to kill someone because you feel replcing a few things around the house is to much of a inconvenience. Your own safely, your family your friends even a total stranger justifies deadly force. Not what you feel you have been inconvenienced

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
My two cents on the "property is not worth a life" thing: bull@#$%.

I am not contesting the laws as currently written, I'm familiar with the legal justifications for the use of deadly force in this state. I am not advocating vigilantism or violating any law. But my property is my property. I should be able to defend it in any manner I see fit. Spare me the "it can always be replaced," that's bull. The time and effort I took into earning that property cannot be replaced. The time & effort I spent making it mine cannot be replaced. The sense of violation I feel after it's tampered with can never be un-learned. Theft is not a crime of passion, or desperation. Not in this day & age. If I find someone trying to steal even the crap from my septic tank I have every moral & ethical (not legal) right to drop them where they stand. They chose to come onto my property. They chose to violate my possessions. With malice of forethought and conscious decision, knowing right & wrong full well, they chose to violate my property. At any point up until then they could have chosen more wisely and left, but once the choice is made, so are the consequences.

Now, if I look out the window & find someone actually stealing the crap from my septic tank, am I going to shoot them? Of course not, I have no legal right to do that under the current system of laws, and I too am aware of what consequences that bad choice would bring. But they would be staring down a 12 guage barrel at a load of buckshot while we wait for the sheriff to show up. If they are on my property without my permission, I have reason to believe they intend to do me & my family harm.

Now, popping the bugger once in the leg for tearing up the garden that's above the septic tank in order to rob it, that's another matter entirely. :lol:

I am not sure if I would take a life for apossession but do believe in this philosophy and won't condemn anyone who does it.Private property is sacred stay thehell off someone elses property.

It has been said on this very forum many times before "all rights" are property rights. When someone steals from you they are violating your rights they are violating you. (Almost used the rape analogy) I have had my tools stolen a few times and that hurts, that is my living my life, they take my tools especially now they are taking away my ability to feed myself and my family.

Life and Limb is not in the RCW's.

Metalhead47

imported post

fire suppressor wrote:

Sorry man, not buying it. Spare me the poor baby-syndrome coddling. Like SVG said private property is sacred, & all rights are property rights. There's a long tradition in nearly all cultures and legal histories as to the right of a person to defend his property with lethal force if they so choose. If & when the current system of law & order breaks down, when there is no more justice or police awaiting petty thieves, when replacing the most meager possession is no longer a matter of running down to Wally World to pick up another, I will not hesitate to drop anyone who comes onto my property with nefarious intent.

Aaron1124

imported post

For those against lethal force for the stealing of your property;

How would you feel that, during a pandemic, looters are continuously raiding houses for belongings and pieces of property that can help aid them? Would you sit down and watch them raid your vehicles, your tool shed, etc etc?

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

fire suppressor wrote:
You are going to tell me that your $800.00 TV from Walmart is worth more in this world than a human life?

NO, an 800.00 TV is not worth a persons life...but principle is. Whether it is 1 dollar or 50,000 dollars, the fact that someone is in your house attempting to victimize you is justification for lethal force--IMO of course.

Take for instance the guy up north of Seattle a year or so ago. The perp was running away with some property of the homeowner. Homeowner levels his rifle and shoots the perp in the head. Was the perp's life worth a boombox, absolutely not. Did the perp get what was coming to him, damn right he did. When you go out into society with the intent to victimize law-abiding citizens you deserve a swift and effect self-defense response. The homeowner ended up being charged then found guilty--my personal opinion, the homeowner did society a favor and should receive a key to the city or some other citizen award.

Metalhead47

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
For those against lethal force for the stealing of your property;

How would you feel that, during a pandemic, looters are continuously raiding houses for belongings and pieces of property that can help aid them? Would you sit down and watch them raid your vehicles, your tool shed, etc etc?

w0rd +1!